VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I used virtualdub with huffy to capture a VHS home video. I think by default huffy sets to 720x480. When I played back the avi file it appears that the video is 4:3 and not filling a 16:9 screen. Mediainfo indicates 3:2 aspect ratio. The video is centered in the screen with black bars on both sides. Since this will be a dvd I ran avstodvd and noticed the same thing after encoding. I have been playing with this for a while and not getting anywhere so appreciate any help/advice.

mediainfo:

Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    Format profile : OpenDML
    File size : 42.7 GiB
    Duration : 1h 31mn
    Overall bit rate : 66.8 Mbps

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : HYMT
    Codec ID : HYMT
    Bit rate : 65.3 Mbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 3:2
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Standard : NTSC
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 6.303
    Stream size : 41.7 GiB (98%)

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Little
    Format settings, Sign : Signed
    Codec ID : 1
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 536 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 1 005 MiB (2%)
    Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
    Interleave, duration : 32 ms (0.96 video frame)
    Interleave, preload duration : 31 ms
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you come here often ?

With the date you joined the site, there really should be no need for these questions.

But I will answer.

Huffyuv sets DAR by simply dividing width by height. So 720 / 4 * 3 = 480. Pixels are square

A DVD, by default, has a DAR of 4:3. Pixels are non-square. The player resizes your video to make it 4:3 or 720 * 540

And not forgetting that ALL DVDs have a SAR (Storage Aspect Ratio) of 720*480 for NTSC.

Did you expect that video to fill the screen ?. The behavior you see is normal. If it filled the screen then your player's setting were wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I come here every so often and try to research before I make any new posts but was still unsure. I actually was expecting the video to fill the screen as the original vhs does. Is there any way to have it fill the screen by adjusting ratios or what not or would that only stretch the image out? If it means sacrificing any quality i would prefer to leave it as is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    was the vhs tape widescreen to start? does it look correct on a tv?

since you captured to avi, i would set the size to 640x480 if 4:3 or 854x480 if 16/9. those are the square pixel dimensions for ntsc. covert those to 720x480 mpeg-2 for dvd. both 4:3 and 16/9. if widescreen you need to set the widescreen flag in the encoder.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It also helps to give all the information.

There is no such thing, AFAIK, as an anamorphic VHS. If it filled the screen then you have stretched it by a setting on your tv.

A widescreen VHS would appear letterboxed and if that is strecthed to fill then your characters look short and fat. From your description you do not appear to have a widescreen VHS but do clarify since the quality of the replies depend on this.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You can try opening it in VDub, right-clicking the screen and then hitting 4:3 or 16:9 to see which it is. It'll be 4:3. Maybe, as aedipuss suggests, it's a widescreen video. But as DB83 says, all VHS tapes are 4:3 and should be encoded as such in AvsToDVD. You may have to go into some aspect ratio box (I seem to remember having read there's a way to change the aspect ratio in that program) and make sure it's set for 4:3, because it will probably seen as 1:1 (1.5:1) and will create black bars above and below unless corrected.

If it really is a widescreen movie and if you really want to make a 16:9 DVD of it, you crop and resize before encoding for 16:9. I don't know how that is done in AvsToDVD, but in the thread dedicated to it here you can ask and easily find out.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277852-AVStoDVD-Support-Thread
    Quote Quote  
  7. I am sorry but probably was not clear in the first post. The VHS is a home movie and is not widescreen. My TV that I am watching on is set for 16:9 so I guess when I was watching the original VHS it stretches the image out to fill the screen. Not letterbox, there are no bars. I did not notice what I guess would have been stretching since its a smaller display and did not have anything to compare to. I was trying to obtain the same result with the capture but I guess that would mean compromising the aspect ratio and would result in stretching the image out as was posted above. If there is a way to do it without stretching the image I would be interested but I guess not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The only way you can do it without stretching is to crop and implicitdly author a 16:9 dvd. Then you lose detail at the top and bottom just like Hollywood does when it 'restores' Academy Ratio films to 16:9.

Of course, if that stretching does not bother you, and it appears not to, then you can author a simple 16:9 dvd with no cropping which will do the stretching for you.
    Quote Quote  
  9. thanks for the all the quick responses.
    Quote Quote