VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd really appreciate some help to solve the following problem:

I'm using a Canopus ADVC-55 DV converter with its own power supply and a generic model QFASCB PCMCIA firewire card (2 x 6 pin and 1 x 4 pin sockets). My laptop is a compaq nc6320 with 4gb ram and an intel Centrino Duo processor. I've tested the cable between the video player and the VD converter and the status of the converter shows that the signal is reaching it from the player. The computer is recognising the PCMCIA card and everything external to my laptop has linked successfully to my son's Mac. The PC also reconises (beeps) when the firewire cable is connected to it. However, despite trying several different video capture programs, each of them brings up the same error message, saying that no external connection is detected? I've, tried changing the dip switch settings on the DV converter and the NTSC/PAL options on the video player, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas please?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Staus light on these units does not confirm a signal is being received. It just shows whether an analog or digital signal is expected. Toggle the top button which should switch from digital to analog.

What capture software are you using ? There should be a selection called MSDV for the input device or something similar. But also try WinDV as that should show the incoming signal.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You've probably already figured this out but I'm posting for others that may run into this problem. The newer NEC 1394 driver was the culprit in my case. When I switched to the generic 1394 OCHI Compliant Host Controller driver, my Canopus was seen just fine. Hope this saves someone some time and trouble.
    Quote Quote