VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Heya everyone. New to this place, just made a account because I can't seem to find anyone else with the same problem as I. (that or I haven't been searching hard enough)

Anyways, I make videos on youtube (Original, right?) and I use Sony Vegas 11 for editing because it's easy and professional. But lately, it's been really laggy in the top right screen where you see the preview. I'm not sure exactly how to fix this problem, and any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. First thing I would do is to press CTRL + SHIFT and double-click Vegas to reset the program.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    First thing I would do is to press CTRL + SHIFT and double-click Vegas to reset the program.
    That seemed to do nothing. Got any other ideas? Anything helps. It's just making it so hard to edit and it's getting me discouraged.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Has anything changed such as the camera/file format you are using for your source video? Do your sequence settings match your footage? Have you rebooted your computer recently to shake out the cobwebs? Have you downloaded any suspect files, or loaded anything processor/memory intensive on your system?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Has anything changed such as the camera/file format you are using for your source video? Do your sequence settings match your footage? Have you rebooted your computer recently to shake out the cobwebs? Have you downloaded any suspect files, or loaded anything processor/memory intensive on your system?
    No, I just got a Blue Yeti but the frame loading problem was happening before I believe, gotta be more clear on what the whole Sequence Settings thing is I'm a noob to this whole thing, and no.
    Quote Quote  
  6. So did you or did not have this problem before? What does that mean "frame loading problem"? Does it mean not fluent playback? Or video just starts to play after 0.5 - 1 sec lag or so?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    So did you or did not have this problem before? What does that mean "frame loading problem"? Does it mean not fluent playback? Or video just starts to play after 0.5 - 1 sec lag or so?
    I'll tell ya' exactly what's happening.
    I start up Sony Vegas, and play a video before editing, and it shows it frame by frame under the box of the recording. Y'know 1-2-3-4-5-6 and so on.

But it'll just all of a sudden go 7....... and pause on the certain frame, but the audio will keep on going. Then it catches up with the audio, just to do it again. It makes it so hard to edit it's so frustrating and I just-- urgh.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You should update specs of your computer or just write it here and also state type of video you play. Maybe system was ok just so, so, but after time it gets bloated and things just slow-down. What happens when you load video to different hardisk?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I've seen Blue Yeti drivers interfere with other people's systems, especially when repeatedly plugging and unplugging the mic. But I haven't done the personal hands-on to judge whether this might be your problem.

Go to Project->Properties in Vegas and see if the template matches your footage. And again, what kind of footage are you using?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The problem is the usual problem whereas the compression on the source is overpowering your machine. Is that iPhone video? That's the worst.

The little "6..."'s mean Vegas is still creating preview frames. It's swamped down. If Vegas is swamped, you can believe ANY OTHER NLE is going to be the same.

Your only option is to transcode to HDV. Get out of H264.

As time passes, these H.264 codecs get denser and denser, but your computer stays the same.

I don't know about v11, but v12 has a "build proxy" feature. But this doesn't always work either. I have a lot of trouble with iPhone5 video and my computer is only a couple years old.

I'm thinking of adding more ram and an SSD drive, but that doesn't always help either.

Another thing. Every time you change the preview mode, Vegas has to rebuild the preview set. So give it time. It's a background process so you just have to wait for the HD to settle down to know when it's done. Or keep looping the video until it's smooth.
    Last edited by budwzr; 7th Sep 2013 at 10:53.
    Quote Quote  
  11. cojothebro, in your profile you list your system as: "Very crappy computer but it works well enough for the stuff I need." -- apparently not anymore.

You have an extremely small HD (nothing personal) and very little RAM, and I'm guessing a 32-bit version of XP, you MIGHT even be on a laptop.

Try Budwzr's suggestion, but maybe it's time to upgrade.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you go back and use an older camera Vegas will run a lot faster again. That's another workaround.

But like smrpix says, it's time to upgrade. I recommend a Toshiba Qosmio, if you want a multimedia laptop. Mine's still OK after two years, but I do have to transcode iPhone5 video now too.

When you upgrade, go all the way to the latest machine. It costs more, but you'll get a longer useful life, so you'll earn that money back.
    Quote Quote