VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, need some guidance ,

I have a moviefile in MKV format and it`s in 4:3 aspect ratio (720 x 480). I would like to recode this file into a 16:9 aspect ratio instead by cropping out some of the information at top/bottom.
    I have XMedia Recode on my PC but i`m not sure how set the software for this task.

Any help is appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you must, in XMediaRecode crop a total of 144 lines from the top and bottom of the picture (i.e 72 top + 72 bottom or 32 top +112 bottom, etc.) Hopefully you have a good reason for damaging your picture and degrading its quality.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I did try what you suggested but somehow the outputted file is still showing a 4:3 aspect ratio, when i check the media information in VLC it says the resolution is 720x336 but when i play the movie on my PC it`s still in 4:3 as.

Any idea what could be wrong?

In XMediaRecode i chose the "cut" option under filter/preview tab and cropped a total of 144 lines at top & bottom.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's probably retaining the aspect ratio flag from the original video. Under the Filters/Preview tab you have the option to change it.
    Last edited by smrpix; 6th Sep 2013 at 13:58.
    Quote Quote  
  5. also instead of reencoding, you could simply change the aspect ratio flag of the video stream using mmg
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you smrpix, i found the flag option and now it works.
    Quote Quote