VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I am looking for a utility (prefrebaly freeware) that will calculate/group folders of specified size (for example DVD-5 4.7GB) from the hard disk. Can anyone suggest such a software?
    Last edited by kyrcy; 2nd Sep 2013 at 13:17.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What you ask for is incredibly trivial in terms of figuring out how big any given directory is. A person with a decent computer science background could easily do this in Linux/Unix with the "du" command and installing the Cygwin toolkit would provide access to commands like this under Windows. However, your need to calculate to specific sizes moves this squarely into what I enjoy calling "I want to do something that nobody else in the world wants to do, so why doesn't software exist to let me do it?" category. This will be followed by a post from you insisting that many other people want to do exactly what you propose, nay, perhaps MILLIONS of people want to do this, not just you. Then it will be followed by the inevitable silence as nobody ever responds with a program that exists to meet your far too specific demands.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    However, your need to calculate to specific sizes moves this squarely into what I enjoy calling "I want to do something that nobody else in the world wants to do, so why doesn't software exist to let me do it?" category. This will be followed by a post from you insisting that many other people want to do exactly what you propose, nay, perhaps MILLIONS of people want to do this, not just you. Then it will be followed by the inevitable silence as nobody ever responds with a program that exists to meet your far too specific demands.
    When I was burning lots of video files to discs I'd create folders and add files until the total filled a DVD, or I'd swap files from one folder to another until I had as many folders containing an almost full DVD's worth of files etc.
    I used to open multiple instances of Nero and add files to individual compilations but that'd invariably lead to having a file added to two different compilations or one not added to any etc.
    Now if there was a program which could take a folder containing xGB worth of files and automatically group them into subfolders as close to a specified size as possible..... maybe that's the sort of thing the OP is after?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by noemi7 View Post
    I was just about to suggest that too.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Damn! Now I've given up burning discs......
    It's not exactly expensive, either.
    Quote Quote