VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A must have!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nice piece of pro kit and a whopping 24 minute recording time (per side)
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    vhelp will buy it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I honestly never knew they existed. I came across it while searching Ebay for a VHS machine that can correctly play French SECAM L tapes. It must have SECAM in the description somewhere.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I used that device (or at least a similar Sony model) back around 1990. I was using its ability to record one frame at a time to record output from a 3d rendering program I was developing.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I vaguely remembered these being used for broadcast sports instant replay, when I searched for an example just now I found this thread from two years ago re someone acquiring a new old stock Pioneer VDR-V1000. Lots of interesting pics of the Pioneer and the blank disc cartridges it (and apparently this Sony LVR 6000) recorded on. This Sony seems to be a much less elaborate (but somehow sturdier-looking) unit, although looks are often deceiving with Pioneer pro gear. Pioneer tended toward overkill with front panel displays and controls that other mfrs relegated to attached PCs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    cool

Though I never entered the world of laserdisc so I can't comment beyond that
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    where do you buy the laserdisc blanks at???
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Ebay?

Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Cross your fingers and look on eBay. Typically $100 per cartridge, but most sellers keep them to bundle with their recorders as a package deal.

New blanks haven't been made or distributed for many years. Back in the day the Pioneer re-writable recorders cost around $40,000 US, and the "RAM" blanks were $1,200 US apiece. The Sony seems to have been a write-once recorder similar to DVD-R, so it was about half the price of the Pioneers. The write-once blanks were dye based, with all the quirks of DVD-R magnified tenfold. Most have probably rotted away by now: the LaserDisc fanatics on most forums recommend against buying the Sony recorders as "toys" because the blank media is just totally gone. Finding blanks for the Pioneer isn't much easier, but at least they do still exist (and sometimes still work).

Not exactly a consumer or prosumer format, but would be fun to play with! Huge hulk of hardware: I thought my Sony LDP-2000 industrial player was a truck, but these recorders are double that size and weight.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, WTF ?!?!?!

I never even heard of an LD blank!!!!!

I still own a higher end Pioneer LD player and a ton of LD's, I have been into them since they first came out and I have NEVER heard of such a thing and certainly never a burnable LD blank!!!!!!

@ orsetto
    Well now ya can get a hell of a deal on one!!
    US $1,977.89
    LOL!!
    Quote Quote