VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab Video Downloader and rip Netflix video! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently bought a DVD from Amazon. I tried it, it was fine for the first 4 episodes, but was sticking at the beginning of episode 5. I sent it back to Amazon who replaced it. The replacement however was getting stuck in exactly the same place. Amazon replaced it once again, and the third copy is getting stuck at episode 5 also. However, I have tried this third copy on three other machines and it plays OK.The reason I'm reluctant to point the finger so willingly at the DVD player (a two year old Toshiba, by the way) is I have countless old DVDs, covered in scratches, that it plays faultlessly. It doesn't make sense.

Any theories?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It can happen.

I'm bigger on Pioneers (older ones) because of their (past) ability to play everything.

Were it my disk: I'd rip and burn to a writable disc to see if the playback stops at the same place - could be the authoring.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I really cannot believe that this is not blindingly obvious and I actually have to say it, but it would have been worthwhile for you to name the DVD set you bought as others might know if there are specific problems with it if they know what it is. But if you'd prefer to keep it a secret and not avail yourself of potential help, that's no problem for me. If you do change your mind and decide to name it, do specify if you bought the UK version as most of our members are American and they will assume "Amazon = American Amazon" rather than "Amazon = Amazon UK".
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    I really cannot believe that this is not blindingly obvious and I actually have to say it, but it would have been worthwhile for you to name the DVD set you bought as others might know if there are specific problems with it if they know what it is.
    The title isn't repeatable.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since commercial DVDs are pressed in batches of multiple thousands (if not tens or hundred of thousands or millions), it's likely that your three DVDs came from the same batch and share the same defect (or odd copy protection).

For some reason your Toshiba just doesn't like it and and you could run though another three exchanges and still have the same issue.

Take classfour's suggestion and rip and burn it to DVD-R or DVD+R, problem solved.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by doff****er View Post
    The title isn't repeatable.
    You can hardly expect an opinion about the DVD if you are unwilling to quote its title.

I once purchased a DVD 'La Reine Margot' the UK version(but with French dialogue and subtitles) which had a fault partly through the playback. Since I had bought it at a store some distance away it was a bit of a PITA to take it back. Some time later, I obtained, from a store in Paris, the French release(no subs) - which had some different content - and somewhat annoyingly this also had a similar playback fault.

These things happen. Some lasers are more sensitive to faults.
    Quote Quote