VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

could some one set the options in avidemux similar to the format yify converted movies have, and make it importable as a preset with a downloadable link ?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    - I doubt that's going to happen. Seriously.

- there's no such thing as "yify format", and torrents aren't exactly encouraged around here.

- I've seen some of those videos. The encoding's not that damn good. The bit rate is simply too low unless you're going to watch it on a phone.

- avidemux isn't the last word in h.264 encoding. There are much better ones.

- if you really want to know the presets in those files, take one and open it in mediainfo and look at the text mode output. Which would be the reasonably intelligent thing to do, rather than expecting someone else to do the work for you.
    Quote Quote  
  3. 9 years later... I found this thread looking for the same thing. Thanks Hoser Rob for pointing how to find the info. That's not easy for noob's.
    In case someone else needs it, here's a YIFY.json that I made comparing files made with handbrake (from another json) and avidemux. The only variable I couldn't find how to set in Avidemux is crf_max=51.0. I also include the Handbrake_yify.json I found. (you need to rename them, removing the ".txt" extension)

In Linux, the avidemux_yify.json file needs to be copied to ~/.avidemux6/pluginSettings/x264/3/YIFY.json

Then you can "Load" it after opening a File, and selecting "Output video" -> "Mpeg4 AVC (x264), "Configure" -> "Configuration" -> "YIFY".

In case you want to test it in ffmpeg the code would be:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input_file.mp4 -c:v libx264 -crf 27 -x264-params 8x8dct=1:analyse=0x3\\:0x133:aq=1\\:1.00:b_adapt=2:b_bias=0:b_pyramid=2:bframes=5:bluray_compat=0:cabac=1:chroma_me=1:chroma_qp_offset=-4:constrained_intra=0:crf_max=51.0:crf=27.0:deadzone=21,11:deblock=1\\:\\0\\:0:decimate=1:direct=3:fast_pskip=1:filler=0:interlaced=0:intra_refresh=0:ip_ratio=1.40:keyint_min=23:keyint=300:lookahead_threads=1:mbtree=1:me_range=24:me=umh:mixed_ref=1:nal_hrd=none:nr=0:open_gop=0:psy_rd=1.00\\:0.15:psy=1:qcomp=0.60:qpmax=69:qpmin=0:qpstep=4:rc_lookahead=60:rc=crf:ref=5:scenecut=40:sliced_threads=0:subme=9:threads=6:trellis=2:vbv_bufsize=10000:vbv_maxrate=10000:weightb=1:weightp=2 -c:a aac -ar 48000 -b:a 160k -map 0 18.output_file.mkv
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by omvsj; 9th May 2022 at 19:08. Reason: ffmpeg Code formatted incorrectly
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by captainsark View Post
    could some one set the options in avidemux similar to the format yify converted movies have, and make it importable as a preset with a downloadable link ?
    One file I downloaded from yifi recently (a modern cartoon) used the x264 slow preset at crf 25 with the addition of --me=hex, --trellis=2, --b-adapt=1.

But just because you found some videos that looked good to you at those settings doesn't mean your videos are going look just as good with those same settings. Or that you will get similar sizes/bitrates.

For example, noise or film grain makes video much more difficult to compress. Grainy film will not compress as well as noiseless computer generated cartoons. Noise reduction (which invariably will lose some true detail along with the noise) will make a grainy source compress much better. Since we don't have the source yifi started with we don't know if they applied any noise reduction before compressing.
    Last edited by jagabo; 10th May 2022 at 09:13.
    Quote Quote