VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all. I'm a newbie, so bear with me. I'm using Womble for most of my workflow, but the dvd reader tool only extracts one vob at a time, and that was way too "interactive" for me. I found vob2mpg and liked that I could just check the vobs I wanted to extract and go do something else while they all got extracted.

But now, after spending untold hours/days/weeks doing this, I have discovered that almost all audio sync is messed up, sometimes in the main mpg I extracted using vob2mpg, but always in the hundreds of clips I have trimmed out of the main mpg file I originally extracted. The sync problem is of the "gradually getting worse" variety, with the audio lagging behind the video.

So I'm not sure what to blame. If I use womble's dvd reader tool, there are no sync problems ever, no matter how I later chop up the clips. I want to use vob2mpg, because it helps my workflow so much. I've tried the gop timecode correction option, and it doesn't help. To keep things going, I'm basically starting from scratch, redoing everything with the womble dvd reader tool, as all the clips derived from vob2mpg are toast. Any ideas on how to deal with this are welcome.

Except please do not reprimand me for not checking the audio sooner. Yes I should have. I already know that, and feel terrible about it. How does one reclaim so much lost time, over something that could have been caught early on? Sigh. Anyway, thanks in advance for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I've been using Vob2Mpg for years and have never seen it produce an mpg file out of sync. You've tested the output from Vob2Mpg before importing into Womble? Are you using Vobset mode or IFO mode? My only complaint about the program is that I can't get it to work in Vobset mode in Windows 8.

I suppose you could use VobMerge instead, and have one big vob file to import into Womble. But you'd need to test everything extensively to make sure this works before using it as a standard method of importing the video.

I don't use Womble, but surely there is a way to import an entire dvd-video into the program. Which Womble program are you using exactly? Mpeg Video Wizard DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  3. GrampaJoe, how in the hell did you manage to do that?

Are you ripping home-made discs or commercial discs?

How did you copy your discs to hard drive?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    I've been using Vob2Mpg for years and have never seen it produce an mpg file out of sync. You've tested the output from Vob2Mpg before importing into Womble? Are you using Vobset mode or IFO mode? My only complaint about the program is that I can't get it to work in Vobset mode in Windows 8.

I suppose you could use VobMerge instead, and have one big vob file to import into Womble. But you'd need to test everything extensively to make sure this works before using it as a standard method of importing the video.

I don't use Womble, but surely there is a way to import an entire dvd-video into the program. Which Womble program are you using exactly? Mpeg Video Wizard DVD?
    Kerry56, Thanks for your thoughts. I can't get vobmerge to work (file access denied??) and vobset mode on vob2mpg is also not playing nice for me (I've been using IFO mode consistently).

But that may all be irrelevant now. Based on your input, I developed some new experiments, and I found that if I reencode the clip, the audio comes out fine. I have been using womble's "trim manager" (in mpeg video wizard), and they make a point of getting it done fast by minimizing the reencoding. I think the term generally used is "smart rendering." THAT's where the problem happens. So somehow, if womble creates the vob originally, through the dvd reader tool, it can also do the smart render without messing up the audio. But if some third party package generates an mpg, something is missing from the recipe, and smart render fails to sync up the audio.

So I tend to think its not a problem with vob2mpg at all. I'll talk to the womble folks and see if they have any ideas. But all my derived clips are still toast. Oh well, the cost of education, I guess.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Steve(MS) View Post
    GrampaJoe, how in the hell did you manage to do that?

Are you ripping home-made discs or commercial discs?

How did you copy your discs to hard drive?
    Um, manage to do what? You mean create a whole bunch of clips where the audio was out of sync without knowing about it till, say, a day ago? Yep, that is some kinda trick. My best defense is the sync problem is not evident at the beginning of the clip. I could look at those all day long and never notice a problem. But by the end of the clip, definitely a lip-sync comedy. Since I was cranking through so many of them, there was no way I was going to sit there and watch them all to the end. Not my job anyway. They're for the granddaughter. My job was just to take these bazillions of recordings we made on our Panasonic and Magnavox dvd recorders and organize them in nice, compact sets, with pretty dvd labels and nice intro music, so my granddaughter could enjoy them sometime before she was too old to enjoy them (like me). As a result of this reversal of fortune, she may not get some of them till she graduates from college. Sigh.

Almost forgot. You asked how I'm getting them to the HDD from disc. I'm using womble's dvd reader tool, which works well enough, in that I never have a problem with audio sync in any clip derived from that source. But the interface is clunky and not "batch friendly," which is why I went looking for an alternative in the first place.
    Last edited by GrampaJoe; 25th Aug 2013 at 23:29.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Whenever I use vobtompg and import titles into video wizard, I make sure to trim a little off the ends of each title before butting them together.
    You can drop them on the timeline and have some space between the titles, make small trims off the ends....

Though this may not matter, if the recordings are different bitrates, I am not sure if joining them would cause problems...personally, I wouldn't do that...

I haven't ever had any sync problems with those 2 programs, vobtompg and videowizard...but I don't remember ever doing a bunch of joining of a multitude of titles either.

Anyway, it seems you have worked a method that will work for you and that is what is important.
    Quote Quote