VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. rhamil54
    Search Comp PM
    I've ready to ditch Cable TV and go back to antenna. My TV is "HDTV Ready" Samsung HLP5063WXXAA (50" DLP TV) that lacks a digital tuner (tuner is analog). The TV has every type of input/output connection you can think of, including a single HDMI port, but that's occupied by my Roku 2.

Using a HD to Analog converter box is of course an option, and though some seem pretty good, I'd like one that would allow viewing HGTV content rather that going back to NTSC analog on TV playback. With my Cable Box, the TV plays Digital material, plus I'm already playing digital 1080 video through the TV with the Roku box. The Samsung is digital except for the analog tuner. Just a few models after mine, Samsung added a digital tuner, but mine is just before that.

Samsung never offered a digital tuner upgrade for this TV, so I'm wondering if there are digital tuner boxes out there so I can go to antenna without going back to analog on the TV.

Suggestions, anyone?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You need an external ATSC tuner. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/HomeWorx-HW-150PVR-Converter-Recording-Function/dp/B00CXAE92K/

I've never used that particular device so I can't vouch for it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to use HDMI to connect the external tuner to your TV's single HDMI port an HDMI switch would allow the Roku and the tuner to share the same HDMI connection. Here is one example of such a product: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=...seq=1&format=2
    Quote Quote  
  4. rhamil54
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the input, both of you! Now that I've seen these, I know what to look for. I'd never heard of a HDMI splitter before; and it would open up the possibilities. Like lots of people, I've grown sick of paying a sizable monthly bill for "Thousands of Channels, and nothing to watch". Streaming Video (like with the Roku box) over the internet has changed the game, and I'm ready to play that one. The Samsung is dated, but it still looks, sounds, and works great, so I'm not up for a new TV yet.
    Last edited by Rhamil54; 21st Aug 2013 at 13:18. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Rhamil54 View Post
    I'd never heard of a HDMI splitter before; and it would open up the possibilities.
    You need to be sure to get a switch not a splitter. They are not interchangeable, particularly for HDMI. A splitter allows a single source to provide a signal to two or more destination devices. A switch performs almost the opposite function as it allows more than one source device to provide a signal to a single destination, one source at a time.
    Quote Quote  
  6. rhamil54
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the clarification - I thought of that after posting using the word 'splitter' . And you are correct - a switch is much better, and the one you recommended even has a remote for making the switch between HDMI sources. At $25, not bad at all, except for getting yet another remote - but that seems to come with the territory these days. I already need a dedicated table just for remotes! LOL!
    Quote Quote