VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. What also seems a little odd, is while MediaInfo reports a variable frame rate, I'm pretty sure of you use the duration shown by MediaInfo and the number of frames to calculate the frame rate, it works out to be 23.976.

I opened the MP4 with VirtualDub and the Quicktime plugin, and VirtualDub reported the same frame rate as MediaInfo reports as the maximum.... 23.981fps.
    When using the Directshow plugin, VirtualDub reports 23.974,
    and when using the ffmpeg plugin, it reports 23.976.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I see you're using HandBrake 0.9.9. Did they not ask you to try a nightly build on the HandBrake forums??

If there is a problem, then it's possible it might have been fixed in the latest HandBrake nightly build - there have been many since 0.9.9 was released. HandBrake-svn5740 is the current version at time of writing.

http://handbrake.fr/nightly.php
    Quote Quote  
  3. Had similar problems with MakeMKV creating files with weird frame rates that gave hell to convert.
    Try remuxing with mkvmerge before converting in Handbrake.
    Oh, and be sure to specify the muxing framerate in mkvmerge.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone for testing this stuff out for me. I actually DID try the most recent 2 nightly builds and got the same results so I went back to the current release build. Maybe ripping with MakeMVK is causing the problem? I might try to just use AnyDVD and rip straight from the disc to see if I get a different result.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I'm not sure that will change anything. I downloaded your file which you presumably decrypted with MakeMKV, converted it in my system and got CFR from my settings.

Have you tried making an mkv file using Handbrake instead of an mp4?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nope but I will try that now. Was going with mp4 for max compatibility with iOS/other devices but let me try mkv!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well would you look at that! Constant frame rate when using MKV! I guess I should have specified earlier on that I was outputting to .mp4 container but I didn't think it mattered! I think i'll try m4v next to see how that goes.

Edit: m4v also yielded VFR. So looks like I need to choose here if I want to encode to mkv or to mp4 with slight VFR...
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	749
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	19585  

Last edited by thefinalprophecy; 24th Aug 2013 at 16:42.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by thefinalprophecy View Post
    Nope but I will try that now. Was going with mp4 for max compatibility with iOS/other devices but let me try mkv!
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Maybe try again without the audio, or using MKV instead of MP4 to see what happens. I'll experiment a bit more later on today, unless someone else more clever comes along first.
    Damn!! Now why didn't I think of trying that!?

There's definitely MP4 "oddness" I don't understand and which maybe isn't Handbrake's fault. I remuxed an AVI as an MP4 using MP4Box yesterday and a similar thing happened as it did when opening your encode with MPC-HC/ffdshow. The first frame became number one instead of zero and I couldn't even play the last frame. If I come across an MP4 and want to keep it, the first thing I do is remux it as an MKV.
    Quote Quote