VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to convert my Sony Video-8 tapes (20+ tapes) into my PC using video capture device. Notice there are quite a few USB capture device such as I bought the cheap EasyCap for $10, I tested and it worked.
    But there are other USB capture devices in the market like Hauppauge USB-Live2 ($49).
    Some others are selling for $80, $90...

How do I know they are not the same device but just re-badged ones?

Has anyone used Kaiser Baas Video Converter?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ManUtdFans View Post
    I want to convert my Sony Video-8 tapes (20+ tapes) into my PC using video capture device. Notice there are quite a few USB capture device such as I bought the cheap EasyCap for $10, I tested and it worked.
    But there are other USB capture devices in the market like Hauppauge USB-Live2 ($49).

You can find a few USB capture devices that are sold under different names although they are built using the same components, but it is definitely not true that all USB capture devices are actually the same thing. The chips used inside USB capture product differ. The driver listed in Device Manager will sometimes indicate what chips are used. I have also seen a few photos posted online by people who opened their device's enclosure to find out what is inside.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ManUtdFans View Post

Has anyone used Kaiser Baas Video Converter?
    YOURS is re-badged/fake.
    http://www.ezcap.tv/
    Be warned. Sadly there are lots of fakes now made in China. To combat this, the manufacturer has had to change their trading name from Easycap to the trademarked name ezcap and radically redesigned their product. If you are offered an Easycap product, it is a fake. You get what you pay for.

Just be happy you got one of the ones that actually works.

I use the Hauppauge USB LIVE-2.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just be happy you got one of the ones that actually works.

I use the Hauppauge USB LIVE-2.
    My EasyCap worked in recording my V-8 tapes, I just wonder are there any image quality differences between your Hauppauge USB LIVE-2 from the faked EasyCap?

Because not sure if it worth to spend another $70 for another USB recording device is they are similar recorded images?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your question is next to impossible to answer. If you are happy with what you got then keep using that. But as a rule-of-thumb the more you may the better quality you get.

That $10 easycap will probably expire before you get through your 20+ tapes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The EasyCap devices use a range of hardware under the hood. If you happened to get the same as the one I tested, the S-Video input is fine but the composite input is horrible. For Video8 you should be using S-Video anyway.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/355092-Analogue-to-Digital-Conversion-%28again%21%2...=1#post2235540

Is the audio good quality and in sync? That seems to be one of the bigger problems with the EasyCaps.
    Quote Quote