VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Does anyone have one or multiple build script(s) that can build ffmpeg, mencoder and mplayer ?
    (xcode and xcode command line tools are installed)

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The normal process on Unix/Linux derivatives is to simply go into the source code directory and do something like this on the command line:

./configure.sh
    make
    make test (or maybe maybe check - there may or may not be any tests though)
    make install

I admit to never building on Macs so maybe there's some reason this won't work that I don't know about.
    Quote Quote  
  3. sadly this is not helpful to me at all, since you would still be missing tons of dependencies.
    (also simply calling configure normally doesn't build a static version)
    Quote Quote  
  4. https://github.com/videogorillas/videoscripts/blob/master/build-ffmpeg-mplayer.sh looks interesting.
    (if I get this working I would still have to add libbluray to make the whole thing useful for me, frist I'm trying to get the whole thing working)

changes so far:
    • removed "/Developer" everywhere, since xcodebuild is located under /usr/bin on my system
    • changed zlib version from 1.2.7 to 1.2.8
    • changed yasm version from 1.1.0 to 1.2.0
    Last edited by Selur; 14th Aug 2013 at 16:52.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any chance you might be able to build ffmpeg with the updated x265 encoder or is that beyond your capabilities? It doesn't look like we're going to get stdin any time soon to be able to use it in software like your program or Virtualdub. There is a patched ffmpeg with an x265 encoder but it's over a year old and built on hm7 so it's pretty useless. An ffmpeg patched with vp9 would also be a good thing. Not sure why ffmpeg doesn't have vp9 support now.
    Quote Quote  
  6. sorry, but I really have zero interest in x265 atm. and adjusting the hm7 to a hm10 patch is probably not really interesting.
    For vp9 encoding I normally use vpxenc.

Not sure why ffmpeg doesn't have vp9 support now.
    No one cared, since vp9 is too slow atm.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I forgot about the new vpxenc.exe file I downloaded with vp9 support. I was wrapped up with the x265 encoder the last couple of weeks. I need to get back to figuring that encoder out. They're both way too slow right now for everyday use. I'm just interested in getting whatever CLI encoders working in Virtualdub that I can.

I wished the x265 encoder was faster because the quality of a 1080p file is incredible for the small file size. .55 to 1 fps is just way to slow to encode with on my machine. Eventually they'll get both encoders optimized and maybe by then I'll be able to afford to build a new PC. Right now, x264 is still the only way to go IMO and will probably be for at least two or three more years. It took a while before x264 took the place of DivX/XviD.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Attached the current version of the build script which should only require Xcode to be installed. (Tested in a VM running Mountain Lion)
    It creates it's own ram disk, where all the file handling takes place, at the end a .dmg file is created inside the 'Downloads'-folder.

-> damn, script fails while trying to build libbluray :/
    (http://jsdelfino.blogspot.de/2012/08/autoconf-and-automake-on-mac-os-x.html should fix this)
    Last edited by Selur; 24th Aug 2013 at 07:42.
    Quote Quote  
  9. found some ffmpeg static builds over at: http://www.evermeet.cx/ffmpeg/
    Quote Quote