VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

Thank you in advance for your help.

I've just started into this world of Bluray, and I have this situation:

I have _several_ Bluray to DVD converters (which is what I want to do-I'm on Windows 7 x64, BTW).
    When I Bluray to DVD a commercial Bluray disk, everything works fine on all of the converters
    However, when I try to convert a homemade bluray disk to DVD (which is what I really want), all of the converters tell me there's something wrong or invalid with my homemade bluray disks even though PowerDVD, VLC, etc, etc will play them just fine.

I looked at the structure of the homemade Bluray discs, and they generally seem the same as the commercial ones.

So, either I've got to find a way to convert my homemade bluray discs to DVD or, take the several m2ts files in the Streaming folder and smash those all in to one DVD. I'll take either solution--I just need a solution that works

Thanks, in advance.

Max
    Quote Quote  
  2. What software authored that BD, what was your source, and what commercial BD to DVD did you actually used?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use avstodvd. Should be all you ever need for making dvds. IT takes just about any input you throw at it and its freeware to boot.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I've had some issues converting blu ray to dvd with AVStoDVD, but those were mostly due to DTS HD MA audio. I seriously doubt you'll have that audio in a home made blu ray. So try AVStoDVD.

For commercial blu ray to dvd, I've switched entirely to BD Rebuilder, and haven't had any issues.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    What software authored that BD, what was your source, and what commercial BD to DVD did you actually used?
    The bluray discs were made on a stand-alone Panasonic Bluray player/recorder (they were recorded directly over the air).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    I've had some issues converting blu ray to dvd with AVStoDVD, but those were mostly due to DTS HD MA audio. I seriously doubt you'll have that audio in a home made blu ray. So try AVStoDVD.

For commercial blu ray to dvd, I've switched entirely to BD Rebuilder, and haven't had any issues.
    Thank you all, kindly, for these suggestions. I'll give them a try right away.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    DVDs made on a dvd recorder need to be finalized in order to be read in other players. I have no experience with blu ray recorders, but I would think this would apply also.

What do you use to break encryption on your commercial blu ray discs? If it has a ripper (like AnyDVD HD or DVDFab do), then you might try ripping the entire movie to the hard drive first, before trying to use AVStoDVD or BD Rebuilder. I realize your home made blu ray won't have encryption, but this might help your encoding process.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post

Ok, I tried this, and it says that the disc is not in BD Format.... I'm not sure
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post

So, when I try to do this, I add in all of the m2ts files into AVStoDVD, and, of course, they're about 22 gig... it's not giving me any type of option to shrink this down to 4.7g DVD size... Is there some magic checkbox that says "yes, shrink these before burning"?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    DVDs made on a dvd recorder need to be finalized in order to be read in other players. I have no experience with blu ray recorders, but I would think this would apply also.

What do you use to break encryption on your commercial blu ray discs? If it has a ripper (like AnyDVD HD or DVDFab do), then you might try ripping the entire movie to the hard drive first, before trying to use AVStoDVD or BD Rebuilder. I realize your home made blu ray won't have encryption, but this might help your encoding process.
    There appears to be no encryption on this stand-alone-created disc.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Ah.. ok.. it appears that my uncle used a Panasonic camcorder, which saves things in sortof-like bluray format, but not quite... it's the mt2s files that count, here
    Quote Quote  
  12. So, it seems that the thing to do is figure out how to take 22gb of mt2s files and shrink them down so they'll fit on a dvd5...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you REALLY and truly want help other than making everybody here make wild ass guesses (and we do have a few members who never tire of that sort of thing) do the following.

1) Install MediaInfo and give us the output from a large M2TS file on a disc that's giving you problems.
    2) Show us the contents of the disc so we can see the names of all the folders on the disc and what's inside them.

Standalone BluRay recorders are rare in the USA, so I'm guessing that you're in the UK or maybe Australia. You should probably admit where you're from as it may have some impact on the format that your recorder uses. And since almost nobody here has a standalone BD recorder, I suppose there's some chance that they may do things weirdly, hence the need for the info I asked for above.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    If you REALLY and truly want help other than making everybody here make wild ass guesses (and we do have a few members who never tire of that sort of thing) do the following.

1) Install MediaInfo and give us the output from a large M2TS file on a disc that's giving you problems.
    2) Show us the contents of the disc so we can see the names of all the folders on the disc and what's inside them.

Standalone BluRay recorders are rare in the USA, so I'm guessing that you're in the UK or maybe Australia. You should probably admit where you're from as it may have some impact on the format that your recorder uses. And since almost nobody here has a standalone BD recorder, I suppose there's some chance that they may do things weirdly, hence the need for the info I asked for above.
    My uncle is in Japan...

The m2ts files themselves aren't giving me any problems. They're just too big (there are 6 for a total of 22gb) to fit directly on to a DVD5. So all I need is a program that'll take all six too-large-to-fit-on-a-dvd5 m2ts files and shrink them all (in total) so that all six will fit on a DVD5 (preferably with correct VIDEO_TS sub-folders, etc). Sorry.. maybe you read too much into it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You were told the program - AVStoDVD - and made a half-arsed attempt to try to use it.

Yes, there is a magic button that will shrink your 22 gig of files to fit on to a dvd5. Look towards the bottom of the window. It is labelled "Start"
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    They may be in AVCHD format since your videos were made with a camcorder.

AVStoDVD should be able to do this conversion, though each m2ts file that you import into the program will be a separate title, and you will need to make a menu in this program in order to access each one.

Read this guide on using AVStoDVD: http://club.myce.com/f32/avstodvd-guide-331620/
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    You were told the program - AVStoDVD - and made a half-arsed attempt to try to use it.

Yes, there is a magic button that will shrink your 22 gig of files to fit on to a dvd5. Look towards the bottom of the window. It is labelled "Start"
    Seriously.. thanks for the info, but don't be a jackass... if this is causing you stress, it's time to step back for a little while so you can become a better person before you try to "help" people once again.

The only reason I didn't continue on was that it reported the final size would be 520+% of a DVD5. I'll give it a shot and see how it works out.. But, in the meantime, become a better person, will ya?
    Quote Quote  
  18. [QUOTE=Kerry56;2260027]They may be in AVCHD format since your videos were made with a camcorder.

AVStoDVD should be able to do this conversion, though each m2ts file that you import into the program will be a separate title, and you will need to make a menu in this program in order to access each one.

Read this guide on using AVStoDVD: http://club.myce.com/f32/avstodvd-guide-331620/[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the help and the link. I'll give it a view.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    I think MrC has changed something in the latest release of AVStoDVD, and that warning message is not something I'm used to seeing. The last conversion I did, I got that type of warning, saying that my output was going to be 189% oversized from my target of a DVD-5. I went ahead with the conversion and it came out correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    I think MrC has changed something in the latest release of AVStoDVD, and that warning message is not something I'm used to seeing. The last conversion I did, I got that type of warning, saying that my output was going to be 189% oversized from my target of a DVD-5. I went ahead with the conversion and it came out correctly.
    Ah, that'll explain it.. I was asking myself "why bother encoding if it's going to be 500%+ over the size it needs to be?" Maybe the wording should be "5??% (but we'll shrink it for you)" or something akin to that.

Thanks a bunch, Texas.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by madmaxmarchhare View Post
    My uncle is in Japan...

The m2ts files themselves aren't giving me any problems. They're just too big (there are 6 for a total of 22gb) to fit directly on to a DVD5. So all I need is a program that'll take all six too-large-to-fit-on-a-dvd5 m2ts files and shrink them all (in total) so that all six will fit on a DVD5 (preferably with correct VIDEO_TS sub-folders, etc). Sorry.. maybe you read too much into it?
    Ah yes. The classic newbie "I'm going to leave out pertinent details" gambit. Well played, sir. Well played.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    set dvd 9.4 aka dual layer
    have twice as much room, but of course you need a dual layer burner, should be cheaper there, than here, and here is not bad
    just bought a new LG with Mdisc capability $59
    Quote Quote