VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I want to convert from MiniDV to DVD for Panasonic NV-GS6GC Digital Video Camera

It has mini-USB port and can't see any firmware port.

How can this be done ?!

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it's a miniDV camera that records to tape. to capture the video you need to use the firewire port and cable to a firewire port on your computer.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. I can't find a firmware port !
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    small squarish port could be marked DV
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes, I've this one, beside the USB one.

I think this reply may help

Originally Posted by Verify View Post
    There are several ways to get from mini DV tapes to DVD depending on the amount of time and money you want to spend and the quality of the final DVD.

1. Use a professional service (http://www.digitalfaq.com/services/video-conversion-tape-to-dvd.htm)
    Some Pluses: lowest cost for just a few tapes, you don’t need to know anything, and you will get the best possible quality
    Some Minuses: gets expensive for multiple tapes, unless you send a back-up of the tape the original could be lost in the mail, and you won’t get completely custom menus and editing.

2. Use a computer (lots of information on this site)
    Some Pluses: complete control of the whole process, a learning experience, and can be very satisfying experience.
    Some Minuses: BIG learning curve, very time consuming, and can be really frustrating.

3. Use a dedicated DVD recorder (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=12244086#post12244086)
    Some Pluses: little to learn, relative simple to do, and doesn’t require much time.
    Some Minuses: no special effects, very simple editing and menus, and OK quality.

As mentioned in the previous posts, the above mostly addresses standard definition DV; if you have Hi-def tapes, then everything gets more ‘interesting.’

Consider the complete process in going from tape to DVD using a computer:

1. Capture: getting the DV information from the tape to a file on the computer (most a firewire port and WinDV).

2. Editing the DV file: lots of software possibilities from free to expensive (this site has lots of recommendation and information).

3. Converting the edited file from DV format to MPEG-2 : requires an encoder ( most editors include one; some are better than others).

4. Authoring: creating titles, menus, adding special effects (fades, wipes, etc.)

5. Burning: writing the edited video and authored information to the DVD (most use ImgBurn ).

Some recommend an ‘all-in-one’ program (for example VideoStudio) others using individual program optimized for each step in the process to give more complete control and to allow lots of processing (noise removal, de-blocking, etc. – a whole study in its self).

So, again as mentioned in previous posts, first determine which format you have (standard or hi-def) then decide on how much time and money you want to spend, and then make a choice.

P.S. (to the pros) I’m NOT an expert in this area but have been reading this site a lot and playing around a bit, so I think that the above information is reasonable correct, but if not please let the OP and I know!
    Quote Quote