VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My wife and I had our wedding ceremony and reception recorded and we were given it on a blu-ray disc. However, we would like to do a little bit of editing and removing (certain unsavory characters thanks to our open bar) before showing it to family. The content is unencrypted and we have full rights to the content (already checked on that). I just want to be able to crop a few bits out, maybe make our own montage and then reburn it without any loss in quality.

Problem is, I have used Roxio Creator pro and Adobe Premier pro. Probably due to my lack of knowledge I cannot seem to maintain the quality from the original video file, through re authoring and to burning. It seems somewhere the quality goes noticeably down.

Any recommendations or guides (I looked around here for some but couldnt find one for this) to do this while maintaining the original quality of content?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try Videoredo.
    If however there is a menu then you need somone else's advice since I wouldn't know how to edit
    and use same menu.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    TMPGenc Smart Renderer v4 is a frame specific smart-rendering editor for BD, AVCHD, DVD, a few other formats. Not free, but a trial version is available. The results would have to be re-authored (if you want menus) and burned.

Most members here would not recommend Roxio Creator for anything. Period. But that's up to you.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 09:44.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a big fan of TMPGenc Smart Renderer for trims and "pre-edits," but for anything more complex stick with Premiere Pro.

As long as your project settings match your footage settings there should not be any appreciable loss in quality from Blu Ray. When you're ready to export, up the bitrate from the original.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Premiere Pro is not a smart rendering frame-specific h264 BD editor. If there's major filtering or other detail work in mind, it's best to go lossless and then re-encode. But it seems that simple edits are what the O.P. intends.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the input folks! Yeah we do not care about menus - I might want to add chapters at certain points and create a simple menu but if not, I can just put chapters at say 5 minute intervals. Just wanted to do some editing with out any loss in quality then reburn to BluRay disc

Update: I actually had a copy of TMPGENC Xpress and it had Bluray options... didnt know that. Well it did what I wanted - I was able to edit the parts I wanted and export it into a bluray format. Are there options for burning to Bluray that will no "Re-encode" the file? It seems like many of my previous attempts got me this far but when ever I tried burning it to disc (admitedly I used Roxio Pro) it would "re-encode" the file which caused a loss in quality - looking to avoid that.
    Last edited by snipper_cr; 8th Aug 2013 at 14:01.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    TMPGenc Express was last released as v4, now replaced by TMPGenc Mastering Works 5. Neither has smart rendering. Both were basically decoders/encoders with some editing capability. What comes out has been re-encoded if previously encoded, or a first-encode if the input was lossless media.

The only TMPGenc product with smart rendering is TMPGenc Smart Renderer 4 (the successor to TMPGEnc MPEG Editor v3) -- smart rendering assumes that your output uses the same encoding as the input. If you already own a TMPgenc product, you can get new ones at discount.

There might be some free smart-rendering editors around in the tools section, but I'm not familiar with them. h264 is another story.
    Quote Quote