VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

I have managed to create an AVCHD DVD using footage from a .mp4 file and it is recognized and "plays" in a Samsung Blu Ray player, but gets choppy at exactly the same spots between two exact DVD-Rs of the same .mp4. I have not used Transcoding nor did i use AVCHD (strict). Could those two things be the cause of my problems for authoring 1080p content to DVD-R that is roughly 20Mbps bitrate?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    First attempt:

Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 22.6 Mbps
    Maximum bit rate : 40.0 Mbps

Second attempt:

Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 17.4 Mbps
    Nominal bit rate : 19.0 Mbps
    Maximum bit rate : 19.0 Mbps

(Transcoded and AVCHD (strict))
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Those bit rates may simply be too high for DVD media. One of the problems we had years ago when DVD burners first came out was that people were trying to burn DVD format to CD-R discs. They had to be pretty short though. I used to do that with TV captures I made of The Simpsons where I could only get one per disc. Some DVD players simply didn't allow in the firmware for CD-R discs to be rotated fast enough to read at DVD bitrates. Perhaps a similar thing is going on with your discs. Try using a much lower bit rate, like around 11 Mbps and see if that fixes it.

Some players do require strict AVCHD so that could be it, but I'd try the bit rate thing first. If you have DVD+RW or DVD-RW discs, try using one of those for testing so you don't waste a disc if it's not the bit rate. Also, what type of audio do you have? I don't recommend DTS as that may also be part of your problem if you're using that.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    [22:43:07] Detected audio: ID#2:A_AAC (48000Hz 16bit 2ch 128kbps) Language: und
    [22:43:07] Attempting to convert A_AAC audio track #2...
    [22:43:07] Demuxing AAC audio...
    [22:43:07] Decoding AAC to PCM audio...
    [22:43:08] Track has 2 channels.
    [22:43:08] Encoding PCM to AC3 audio... (4853760 b)
    [22:43:24] AAC to AC3 conversion successful!
    [22:43:24] Added audio: A_AC3, "e:\multiAVCHD\_TEMP\multiTEMP-20130805\temp-2.ac3", lang=und

and just using eac3to
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    AC3 audio should be OK so I think we can rule out any issues with the audio here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    i have only tried my first attempt so far. the one from 22.6 to 40Mbps bitrate.

hopefully the second one that is at 17.4 with a max of 19.0Mbps will play without being choppy... i also used Transcoding to get it compliant with AVCHD/Blu Ray, and then used AVCHD (strict) which says it is good for DVD media
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    One site I found suggests that 28 Mbps be the highest video bit rate used, so perhaps your encode going as high as 40 Mbps is problematic and your 2nd one will be OK.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Just a wild guess but:
    for AVCHD,
    18 Mbit/s (DVD Media)
    24 Mbit/s (other media)
    28 Mbit/s (AVCHD 2.0)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    with the Transcoding (making it AVCHD/Blu-Ray compliant) the bitrate was set to 17.4Mbit/s with a max of 19.0Mbit/s, and I can confirm on at least 1 Blu-Ray player, and 1 PS3 that it now plays without choppiness
    Quote Quote  
  10. 15Mb/s is the "safe" value for DVD5 or DVD9 media. IIRC DVD-RB uses 14.5Mb/s . But some players are able to play "non standard" and up to 24Mb/s smoothly - it's model dependent
    Quote Quote