VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello

As a total idiot regarding this subject, I would like to know more info to my questions please:

1 - I've downloaded some .mp4 movies in 720p quality (750mb average size); is there any substantial difference between these and the 1080p ones (1.4 gb size)?

2 - Some movies come with the .srt file with them, is just a matter of having the same name to have subtitles available?

3/4 - Since I only have a DVD burner, can I burn the .mp4 file into a normal blank DVD disc and play it on the PS3? Does it requires any type of specific programs to do that?

5 - I usually use ConvertxtoDVD for my DVD conversion/editing/menus but doesn't work for HD movies; do you know any good one for this kind of files?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by vortun View Post
    1 - I've downloaded some .mp4 movies in 720p quality (750mb average size); is there any substantial difference between these and the 1080p ones (1.4 gb size)?
    Yes, 360p.

Originally Posted by vortun View Post
    2 - Some movies come with the .srt file with them, is just a matter of having the same name to have subtitles available?
    And a player that supports external SRT subtitles.

Originally Posted by vortun View Post
    5 - I usually use ConvertxtoDVD for my DVD conversion/editing/menus but doesn't work for HD movies; do you know any good one for this kind of files?
    DVD players can't play HD movies.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    DVD players can't play HD movies.
    Yes I'm aware of that; since ConvertxtoDVD doesn't work for HD, I was asking for a program similar to that one with the mentioned functionality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1- as has been mentioned in theory given the same source the 1080p version will be better quality then the 720p version.

2 - as has been mentioned so long as the player supports subtitles yes that is correct. Otherwise you would have to "hardcode" the subtitles directly onto the video if the player doesn't support them. This would involve reencoding and some quality loss (how much depends on how you do it and how sensitive you are to video artifacts, but technically speaking there will always be SOME quality loss in a reencode).

3 - I don't think it was mentioned directly in this thread yet but the PS3 MAY play your videos directly from the dvdr as data. However so far as I know the ps3 won't do any subtitle files - you'd have to hardcode them and that would mean a reencode.

It will even do 1080p but your restriction with the ps3 will be what type of video file it is. It is not as robust as a media player like the wdtv media player. I believe it only handles h264 files up to level 4 or 4.1. And if it has a lot of reference frames it won't like that either.

What most of us here would recommend you do is to invest in a media player like the wdtv. It will play virtually any type of video file without needing to convert it. And it supports subtitles. You can buy used ones on places like ebay and amazon at a good price. This will save you lots of time and frustration by being able to simply play the original files off a usb harddrive or thumb drive.

5 - avstodvd is a good dvd creation program that should accept just about any file you throw at it - and its freeware.

Edit - in regards to playing video files on the ps3 it can do divx/xvid to a point too - but only standard profiles. Anything "special" that has been done to the files will likely make the ps3 reject them.

And since you mentioned mp4 I was assuming these are h264 files.

You can use mediainfo to identify the audio and video codecs used in the files. It should also give you the level of the codec if it was h264, ie how high it went as well as whether or not cabac was enabled and how many reference frames are in it - ie more then 3 or 4 and I think the ps3 will simply refuse to play it. You can google it to find out what the max reference frames is for the ps3.

Edit - also I don't think the ps3 will play ogm audio - it should play any aac including aac 5.1 but you may not be able to get your amp to play 5.1 from aac. That would involve reencoding to ac3 and remuxing it with the original video. That is a different topic and is covered on this website. Just search for aac to ac3 for more info.

Edit yet again - if you have a newer hdmi amp it might be able to convert the aac 5.1 on the fly. You would need to check your manual to see if it can decode aac 5.1 natively. Otherwise you'd have to reencode to ac3.
    Last edited by yoda313; 3rd Aug 2013 at 19:40.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    vortun, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,
    Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [confused mode on]

Is not downloaded movies with sub-titles akin to warez ?

[confused mode off]
    Quote Quote  
  7. There are movies that you can download legally. For example: http://www.sitasingstheblues.com/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    There are movies that you can download legally. For example: http://www.sitasingstheblues.com/
    Naughty. Naughty !!
    Quote Quote