VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    how do I batch re-ncode level 5 mkv to level 4.2 the easy way?

I was playing 1080p animes in my ps3 using showtime but I got no video only audio and subtitles. It seems it can only play level 4.2

I get this error in showtime ps3
    "cell-h264 forcing level 4.2 for content in level 5.0. this may break video playback"
    Last edited by d_unbeliever; 30th Jul 2013 at 23:49.
    hacking the Net using typewriter :D
    Quote Quote  
  2. I've played around with this program a little and it seems to work as advertised. When you open an MKV with it, it'll report the current level and allow you to change it without re-encoding anything.

Whether it'll fix the problem depends on (I think) whether the player checks for compliance in ways other than simply checking the level written to the stream, and no doubt if you change the level but the video was encoded in a way which exceeds it, you'll probably find you'll have playback problems even if the player does try to play it.

My video card only supports level 4.1 for hardware decoding. If the video is encoded in a way which exceeds it and I change the level to 4.1 it'll happily try to play it, but usually freeze at some point. Speaking of which....

High Profile, Level 4.1 is the level supported by Bluray players, DXVA (PC video card decoding), and the majority of hardware players. Some might support a higher level, but the safest bet would probably be to stick to level 4.1. I'm not sure off the top of my head what the difference between 4.1 and 4.2 might be.

If you need to re-encode.... Handbrake has the ability to open a folder full of files, so I assume that means it can batch re-encode. You should also be able to tell it to just copy the audio. It's "High Profile" preset (I wish they'd change the name so as not to confuse it's presets with x264's profiles and levels) defaults to High Profile, Level 4.1 and the default x264 settings. I don't use Handbrake myself but a lot of people do as it doesn't require a huge learning curve.
    Quote Quote  
  3. how do I batch re-ncode level 5 mkv to level 4.2 the easy way? ...I was playing 1080p animes in my ps3...
    The easiest way is Do not Re-encode which you do not have to, I guess.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tried H264 avc level editor but i got this error

ERROR: Can't find any AVC profile!
    ERROR: You can try to increase search limits; click on 'Options' button and retry.

If I don't need to re-encode and can just change the level, the better.

it's says in the title BD 10-bit 1280x720 x264 AAC. GSpot says its unknown too.
    Last edited by d_unbeliever; 31st Jul 2013 at 20:06.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You're into a "guessing" area for me, as the video uses 10 bit encoding (if the title is accurate) and I've basically no experience encoding/playing 10 bit video. 99.99% of video is 8 bit, and 10 bit support in hardware players is pretty much non-existent.

The 10 bit h264 profiles are called High 10 Profile (as opposed to High Profile) often abbreviated as Hi10P, and it's possible the level editor simply doesn't understand them.

It sounds like Showtime tried to change the level but from the little Googling I did it seems it won't decode 10 bit video and the PS3 hardware decoder won't either. The only PS3 option I could find for playing 10 bit video was to use the PS3 Media Server. Don't quote me on any of the PS3 stuff though as I've literally never used one.

I can't even tell you which programs will re-encode 10 bit video as 8 bit. According to this page Handbrake will. It says it requires VLC to be installed. I don't know why. There's been a new version of Handbrake since then, so that may have changed.

If you need more info regarding conversion, it might pay to start a new thread with a title such as "Converting 10 bit to 8 bit", and hopefully someone with 10 bit encoding/decoding experience will help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    tried handbrake and it re - encoded it to 4.1
    Quote Quote  
  7. Good to know. Thanks for reporting back. I'm sure the day will soon arrive when I need to re-encode 10 bit to 8 bit myself, so it'll be nice to have a place to start.... ie at least one program which I know will do so successfully.
    Quote Quote