SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    Hardware: AVX capable CPU recommended
    At least 8GB of RAM
    Software: Win7/8 x86_64
    Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Update 3

Well, that sucks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Any suggestions what options to use? So encoding won't take forever but delivers HQ though...

Since I haven't tried this, are AviSynth scripts allowed as input?
    Das Leben ist eine Nebelwand voller Rasierklingen. (C. Bukowski)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    3. USING THE ENCODER

You can run the encoder from a Windows Command Prompt. We suggest that you create a batch file containing the commands you wish to run. For example;

C:\x265>x265 --input BasketballDrive_1920x1080_50.yuv --width 1920 --height 1080 --rate 50 -o encoder.out --csv results.csv --rect --max-merge 1 --hash 1 --wpp --no-rdo --gops 4 --tu-intra-depth 1 --tu-inter-depth 2 --no-tskip

The encoder accepts YUV or Y4M files as input. Picture size and frame rate are automatically detected for Y4M files, but must be specified in the command-line when encoding YUV files.

A. Suggested Options:
    --max-merge=1 --no-tskip --tu-inter-depth=2 --tu-intra-depth=1 –wpp
    These options give a reasonable performance improvement for very little compression loss.
    --amp, --rect, and –sao default to being disabled. If enabled, each will give a slight compression improvement and a performance cost. Enabling SAO is often a good trade-off.
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    Hardware: AVX capable CPU recommended
    At least 8GB of RAM
    Software: Win7/8 x86_64
    Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Update 3

Well, that sucks!
    Applies ONLY to that infamous MSVC build , a.f.a.i.k.

This GCC build should use ANY cpu-optimization(s) available on the host machine.
    It works even on my sloooooooooooooooow Pentium-4
    (which certainly does not run Windows 7 or 8)
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 2nd Aug 2013 at 02:34. Reason: .....
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by leghorn View Post
    No, because x265 still doesn't read from stdin (otherwise, we could give it Avisynth scripts through avs2yuv)
    Quote Quote  
  7. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    For muxing the elementary HEVC streams into AVI files, please read:

http://optavisse.com/2013/07/11/hevc-in-avi-why-not/

( for changing the framerate, I recommend avifrate.exe instead of VirtualDub )

And then, you can use MKVtoolnix for remuxing the AVI to MKV

( mkvmerge has no problem with the VfW-compatibility mode )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i started to post this half hour ago but got inandated with all this. anyway. i'll post what i was going to post w/ some updates to it so far.

no avisynth script support at this time.

1. you have to build raw .yuv or .y4m files first:
    ffmpeg -i video.avs -an -pix_fmt yuv420p -f rawvideo -y video.yuv
    ffmpeg -i video.avs -an -pix_fmt yuv420p -f yuv4mpegpipe -y video.y4m

2. x265 encode them to raw .265 file:
    x265.exe --q 20 --width 720 --height 480 --rate 29.970 --frame-skip 0 --frames ALL --input "video.yuv" --rect --max-merge 1 --hash 1 --wpp --no-rdo --gops 4 --tu-intra-depth 1 --tu-inter-depth 2 --no-tskip --output "video.h265"

3. play them, if possible, though i haven't figured out how, yet..since nothing is playing them, kmplayer ffplay mplayer wmp vlc graphedit graphstudio, and so on.

4. or, you can mux them with the divx special modified mkvtoolnic (mkvmerge) app, then play them in the divx v9.1.2 player, i think, or nothing else will play them, yet.
    mkvmerge --default-duration 0:30fps video.h265 -o video.mkv

suggestion.. to get started and acclimated, go small. iow, if you are going to trial/test this build, (because its slow) use a smaller size dimension like 720x480 and 30 sec length frames, at least until you get the idea of how long it takes to encode on your rig, then use a more optimum or prefered video length to encode as you test it out.

it seems the only way to view the encodes is to download the divx player v9.1.2 since nothing else will play them, so far.
    Last edited by vhelp; 16th Aug 2013 at 20:57.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i managed to get a graphstudio working.. do the following:

1. open graphstudio
    2. menu\graph\insert filter
    3. search "directshow filter" for: Lentoid HEVC Source, Lentoid HEVC Decoder and a Video Renderer
    4. connect them, and play (enter key or green triangle)

**1, for the Lentoid Source filter, enter your source video filename ie., video.h265
    **2, substitute your video.h265 with your video filename.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i didn't search/try but would save me the trouble. are we able to encode w/ audio too ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    to encode with audio = no,

to mux with audio = yes,

please read post #7 again.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 29th Jul 2013 at 22:27.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Originally Posted by leghorn View Post
    No, because x265 still doesn't read from stdin (otherwise, we could give it Avisynth scripts through avs2yuv)
    I guess this means that Virtualdub's external encoder feature cannot be used either? I can't get it to accept an input file. I thought it was a colorspace issue but after converting to IYUV I got "unable to open input file <->

I found an ffmpeg build with x265 encoder and decoder but it's a year old. Hoping a new x265 build is released soon since ffmpeg can be used by Virtualdub's external encoder.

I was able to get x265 ffmpeg to encode a .265 file but I can't get anything to play it. Graphstudio won't open it. What file extension is the raw 265 file supposed to have? I've seen numorous file extensions. .hevc, .hev, .265, .h265, .hm10.
    Last edited by DarrellS; 30th Jul 2013 at 02:25.
    Quote Quote  
  13. @ EI Heggunte
    To whom this may interest , and finally ,
    Thanks for the compiled binary. At least those who have a capable system can try. Before I dream, I have to undergo massive hardware, OS, and series of updates.

Before I start calculating budget for system upgrades, I need to make arrangements for female Hare (jackrabbit) and her newborn beautiful babies arrived in backyard today morning to provide them safe and secured natural like underground built home to protect them from stray cats. Plus plenty of foods. So they can live safe & sound, and mess around my beautiful back yard as long as they want. At least my bunny got new friends to take care of. I wish, I can train my german shepherd to welcome, to get along and to guard our new guests. At this moment only my bunny can touch and pull the tail, nobody else can dare even. The female Hare is smart enough to land in (Lion's Den) right back yard. or who knows? may be HE was & HE is right, as always!
    later amendment
    Real fun starts now:
    I just checked upon our new guest, female hare (mom) and babies are sleeping sound in the safe place for the dog. The wise dog (?) got a new job to stay out & awake to gurd them. and Here I AM searching information about new guest's foods, care, likes and dislikes. Hope, by tomorrow I will be a half veterinarian. I luv The Great Creator - The Absolute Maker absolutely. What a Great Guy HE is!
    Last edited by enim; 30th Jul 2013 at 04:36.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Since I haven't tried this, are AviSynth scripts allowed as input?
    not directly, but you could use avs2yuv
    Quote Quote  
  15. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    I guess this means that Virtualdub's external encoder feature cannot be used either? I can't get it to accept an input file. I thought it was a colorspace issue but after converting to IYUV I got "unable to open input file <->
    Apparently it cannot The "unable to open input file <->" error message means x265 cannot deal with stdin --- and I think VirtualDub's "intermediary" output is not an actual video file, but a "frameserved stream" or something similar, therefore that error message seems to make some sense

MAYBE the MSVC build of x265 supports stdin, however I have already deleted the pesky binary ,
    yes, I could at least try to run it on my not-so-powerful Windows 7 machine,
    BUT I don't want to back peskyware,
    especially when it is "released" by a one-post TROLL ,

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1637993#post1637993

I found an ffmpeg build with x265 encoder and decoder but it's a year old. Hoping a new x265 build is released soon since ffmpeg can be used by Virtualdub's external encoder.

I was able to get x265 ffmpeg to encode a .265 file but I can't get anything to play it. Graphstudio won't open it. What file extension is the raw 265 file supposed to have? I've seen numorous file extensions. .hevc, .hev, .265, .h265, .hm10.
    From what I've read, the ancient implementations of the HEVC encoder are not compatible with the recent bitstream format. According to the page I mentioned in the post #7, the FourCC accepted by the Lentoid decoder is "hm10", BUT the HEVC source filter doesn't care about the extension of the "raw" file, as long it is "HM10-compliant"
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 30th Jul 2013 at 05:14. Reason: disambiguation
    Quote Quote  
  16. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    @ Selur:
    would you mind trying to convince Lord_Mulder to "hack" stdin support into the current x265 source-code?
    Quote Quote  
  17. I thought it can be fed through pipe :/
    (also x265 shouldn't work on my system due to the avx requirement)
    Quote Quote  
  18. Just pulling back from bunny babies and getting back to real business. At this moment of replying neither FLV (Adobe) or AVI supports h265/HEVC. As per the last news I heard from my buddies, Rovi Corp / DiVX was seriously working with MKV or TS (?) container to handle H265/HEVC. I am not aware of latest development in this regards.

Those who are interested can check-out Rovi Corp or DiVX website for latest development or news.
    As I told you, I am way off, my present latest system can not handle full spec HEVC properly.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Just pulling back from bunny babies and getting back to real business. At this moment of replying neither FLV (Adobe) or AVI supports h265/HEVC.
    I see no problem with the containers.
    mkv/avi/ts/mp4 (probably more) are all be capable to handle HEVC content. The problem is the splitter and muxer that don't support it atm. .
    Quote Quote  
  20. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, maybe it's time for starting to pester steve ÄTT borho D0TT org and see what happens
    Quote Quote  
  21. btw. iirc do the latest GPAC builds come with HEVC support.
    Quote Quote  
  22. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Here it goes, yet another sample encode:

Code:
    x265 --me 1 --fast-cbf --no-weightp --no-weightbp --hash 0 --max-merge=1 --no-tskip --tu-inter-depth=2 --tu-intra-depth=1 --no-rdo --no-rdoq --keyint 24 --qp 24 -o Path-To\output.hm10 Path-To\input.y4m

Sintel_Trailer[HEVC+MP3].mp4
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 3rd Aug 2013 at 18:56. Reason: update
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    Hello all

@El Heggunte I have a problem, VirtualDub will not open .avi but open video.hm10 to do something special?

Only register Strongene_Lentoid_HEVC_Decoder_v2.0.1.11_2013_07_2 4

Code:
    regsvr32 "%~dp0hevcdecfltr.dll"
    regsvr32 "%~dp0hevcsrc.dll"
    Thank you for your Binary and help

Forgive my poor English.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded ffmpeg-patched.rar with a x265 folder dated 5-30-2013. What do I need to do to turn this unrared ffmpeg folder (with a bunch of other files and folders) into an ffmpeg.exe file?
    Quote Quote  
  25. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    @ Trepack:

Thank you for your Binary and help
    You're welcome =^.^=

I have a problem, VirtualDub will not open .avi but open video.hm10 to do something special?
    Two possibilities:

1) you can use the DirectShow input driver for VirtualDub, or
    2) use an Avisynth script containing DirectShowSource() or DSS2(), see the example picture below:

https://forum.videohelp.com/attachments/18905-1374099208/in-VirtualDub.png

@ DarrellS:

Here is the URL to a guide written by Chikuzen,

http://csbarn.blogspot.com/2011/02/how-to-compile-ffmpegx264-for-windows.html

and I hope it's not outdated Another (and IMO better) option would be convince Steve Borho to make x265 stdin-aware --- BTW I wrote his e-mail address some posts above
    Quote Quote  
  26. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Ooops, only now I've noticed, Chikuzen did change the content of that page, but didn't change its title

But if you don't mind replacing ffmpeg with libav/avconv, then I think it'll be OK ( or at least I hope so )
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    @ Trepack:

1) you can use the DirectShow input driver for VirtualDub, or
    2) use an Avisynth script containing DirectShowSource() or DSS2(), see the example picture below:
    I have DirectShow input driver for VirtualDub but not open your Sintel-Trailer_[H265+AC3].avi, if I use the Avisynth script open ok

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ooops, only now I've noticed, Chikuzen did change the content of that page, but didn't change its title

But if you don't mind replacing ffmpeg with libav/avconv, then I think it'll be OK ( or at least I hope so )
    I found this guide on FFMPEG...

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/MingwCompilationGuide

I'm in the process of installing. I've installed MinGW (I guess it installed correctly but it doesn't have "MinGW Shell" listed in programs like the instructions says). I'm in the process of installing msysGit (netinstall) and the cmd promp stopped at...

Darrell@HOME-BCBxxxxxxx /git <master>
    $ _

...and I don't know what to do next.

I keep seeing avconv at the beginning of command lines but don't know where or how to get and use. I'm not a computer programmer so I don't know about any of this. I wish I could just find builds that were already made so I could try them in Virtualdub without having to do all this extra stuff.

If the x265 encoder accepted stdin it would be perfect since I could just use that with the commands that you guys have already tried with success. The other option is a special build of ffmpeg with the x265 encoder built in. I guess ffmpeg is waiting for the final release before implimenting it in a build. I'll try the email link and see if Steve Borho will make x265 stdin aware.

EDIT: Where do I put yasm.exe? It says install it in /usr/local/bin or in /bin but I have no idea what that means.

EDIT: I put yasm.exe in the C:\MinGW\bin folder. downloaded SDL and extracted the folder but don't have a clue what to do with it.
    Last edited by DarrellS; 31st Jul 2013 at 20:00.
    Quote Quote  
  29. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Well, me neither iz a programmor No, actually I was a programmer (sort of), sometime before 1987 , and the knowledge that I had in those days is mostly useless now

Anyway, I think you actually don't have to "install" anything, just grab one of the "full packages" from Xhmikosr's page,

http://xhmikosr.1f0.de/tools/

They already include MSYS and the latest yasm , and as for git, well, I simply unzipped its bloated installer, and copied only the essential files to the MSYS "root folder":

Code:
    Directory of D:\MINIMSYS\msysroot

07/29/2013  03:32    <DIR>          .
    07/29/2013  03:32    <DIR>          ..
    06/19/2013  06:34    <DIR>          bin
    07/29/2013  01:41    <DIR>          etc
    10/02/2010  13:18             5,632 getcp.exe
    10/02/2010  13:18         1,166,848 git-receive-pack.exe
    10/02/2010  13:18         1,166,848 git-upload-archive.exe
    10/02/2010  13:18           552,448 git-upload-pack.exe
    10/02/2010  13:18         1,166,848 git.exe
    10/02/2010  10:06           322,643 gitk
    07/29/2013  01:42    <DIR>          home
    06/19/2013  06:34    <DIR>          include
    06/19/2013  06:34    <DIR>          lib
    02/28/2009  10:58           978,432 libiconv2.dll
    07/11/2009  18:34             2,238 m.ico
    06/19/2013  06:33    <DIR>          manifest
    09/28/2010  23:48             7,167 msys.bat
    07/11/2009  18:34            37,758 msys.ico
    01/30/2010  19:42             2,740 perllocal.pod
    06/19/2013  06:33    <DIR>          postinstall
    06/19/2013  06:33    <DIR>          sbin
    09/28/2010  16:34    <DIR>          share
    06/19/2013  06:33    <DIR>          var
    04/13/2013  11:02    <DIR>          zs4mingw
                  11 File(s)      5,409,602 bytes
                  13 Dir(s)  26,220,057,600 bytes free
    Important: to make things easier (or less difficult), include the root folder of your MSYS+MinGW setup in the PATH environment-variable Also, don't forget to edit the damn etc\fstab file according to your needs/preferences --- just as an example, mine says this:

Code:
    # Win32_Path                                       Mount_Point
    # 
    D:/MINIMSYS/msyshome                     /home
    D:/MINIMSYS/msysroot/zs4mingw            /mingw
    HTH
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 1st Aug 2013 at 04:02.
    Quote Quote  
  30. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    NEW build of x265 is available, please see post #1.
    Quote Quote