VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. muffinman123
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    On the other hand, it's not too difficult to write a batch file that will build AviSynth scripts...
    my files are not 200 videos are not in serial file name, each of them have a different name in a sorted folder... not sure how to generate batch file like that...

Check your "green" video with MediaInfo.
    ah you are right, I completely forgot
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by muffinman123 View Post
    On the other hand, it's not too difficult to write a batch file that will build AviSynth scripts...
    my files are not 200 videos are not in serial file name, each of them have a different name in a sorted folder... not sure how to generate batch file like that...
    Code:
    for %%a in ("*.avi") do whatever
    For example:
    Code:
     for %%a in ("*.avi") do @echo "%%a"
    will show all the AVI filenames in a folder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If I had to guess (I've never used it) xvid4PSP probably uses a decoding method which indexes the video when it's opened and/or extracts the audio as well. Its fairly normal for AVISynth based programs. They'd probably use DGIndex for mpeg video and ffmsindex etc for other file types. It's generally not too frustrating if you're opening and encoding one file at a time, although for large source files the process can sometimes take a few minutes. When programs can do batch encoding, sometimes opening a large number of files at once requires a considerable wait while they're all indexed, which can be fairly annoying.
    Does xvid4PSP create any temp files after it's opened a video? If the audio stream is one of them, that'd mean xvid4PSP has extracted it.

MeGUI generally does the same indexing/extracting (it depends on the chosen decoding method). Fortunately in batch mode it doesn't make you wait (I don't think, but I've rarely used batch mode). I think it lets you set up the batch encoding job and then it indexes each file as the encoding progresses.

If a program's clever enough and you've already opened a video, when you open the same one again it'll use any existing temp files rather than go through the process again, or it may let you open the previously created index file instead of the video itself.

I'm not sure why the rest of the program would feel sluggish. If it's mainly when previewing video then it could be due to filtering. ie QTGMC. Often if I'm doing any editing or experimenting with cropping/resizing etc, I'll get MeGUI to add Yadif de-interlacing to the script (either full frame or half frame de-interlacing), then when I've finished I'll replace the Yadif de-interlacing with QTGMC. That way I can still preview a de-interlaced version of the video but navigating through it isn't an exercise in frustration.

I do agree, the reason for questioning someone's preferences are fairly subjective, but often someone's preferred program isn't used by anyone else in the thread so it's not always clear whether it's the reason for a particular workflow.
    Anyway... I'm not trying to start an argument over it. Just point out 99% of the time the motive for asking questions is a good one.
    Quote Quote  
  4. muffinman123
    somehow I managed to make virtualdub load the videos without green screen again, but I have no idea what I did.

I have both ffdshow and lav codecs installed, and I thought they were outdated so I reinstalled both of them. still nothing.

so I checked them to see which one was used to decode huffyuv, and I saw that lav was used. so I disabled it in lav and switched to ffdshow to decode huffyuv, and then I can see videos loading properly.

but the mystery happens when I disable both ffdshow and lav decoder, and I can now still load huffyuv videos into virtualdub successfully.

so my question is how do I find out which decoder is currently being used to decode a video? is it in the registry?

mediainfo for the video I 1st created with virtualdub
    General
    Complete name :
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 1.76 GiB
    Duration : 3mn 44s
    Overall bit rate : 67.5 Mbps

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : Huffman
    Codec ID : HFYU
    Duration : 3mn 44s
    Bit rate : 66.1 Mbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 3:2
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Standard : NTSC
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:2
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 6.379
    Stream size : 1.73 GiB (98%)
    this is a small clip segment that I used for xvid4psp's qtgmc deinterlacer
    General
    Complete name :
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 56.2 MiB
    Duration : 7s 908ms
    Overall bit rate : 59.6 Mbps
    Writing application : VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.3 | www.virtualdub-fr.org || (build 2550/release)
    Writing library : VirtualDubMod build 2550/release

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : Huffman
    Codec ID : HFYU
    Duration : 7s 908ms
    Bit rate : 59.4 Mbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 3:2
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Standard : NTSC
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 5.737
    Stream size : 56.0 MiB (100%)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by muffinman123 View Post
    so my question is how do I find out which decoder is currently being used to decode a video? is it in the registry?
    VirtualDub may tell you. After opening the video select File -> File Information.

There are several variations of HuffYUV, not compatible with each other. Hence the problems you're seeing.
    Quote Quote  
  6. VirtualDub uses Video For Windows codecs. I didn't think LAV installed any. ffdshow has two decoder configurations. The standard "Video Decoder Configuration" (DirectShow) and the "VFW Configuration". Are you using the latter?
    Quote Quote  
  7. muffinman123
    VirtualDub may tell you. After opening the video select File -> File Information.
    now it's saying I am using ffdshow, weird, because I checked my ffdshow setting and huffyuv decoding was disabled.
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    VirtualDub uses Video For Windows codecs. I didn't think LAV installed any. ffdshow has two decoder configurations. The standard "Video Decoder Configuration" (DirectShow) and the "VFW Configuration". Are you using the latter?
    where do I see which one I am saying? the decoder tab doesn't have any sub tabs that tell me this.
    Quote Quote  
  8. There's two different shortcuts in the start menu, if the VFW option was included when installing. I can't remember but you may be able to choose not to. The "VFW Configuration" has Encoder and Decoder tabs and the Window name will probably be "ffdshow video encoder configuration". The "ffdshow video decoder configuration" is just DirectShow decoders.

VFW:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.gif
Views:	388
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	19350

DirectShow:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.gif
Views:	352
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	19351
    Last edited by hello_hello; 14th Aug 2013 at 14:11.
    Quote Quote  
  9. muffinman123
    ah it's just same thing in standalones or in tabs, so that's what it is, didn't know.
    Quote Quote