VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. OK, I'm kind of a newb at this and don't know all the correct terminology to describe the problem I need help with, so bear with me. What I'm trying to do is rip music videos from DVDs so that I can build a sizable collection to go along with all the rest of my digital media. I'm using Handbrake to convert individual videos into MKV files.

The problem I am having is with a certain DVD called Triple J Hottest 100 Volume 16. It's this one:

https://shop.abc.net.au/products/triple-j-hottest-100-volume-16-1

So what's the problem? Well, when they authored the disc, they decided to stretch all the videos into a 16:9 aspect ratio, which make them look like crap. None of the videos on disc were originally shot in hi-definition, so the image looks soft and undefined.

All the other music DVDs I've encountered up until this point had a normal 4:3 aspect ratio, which is what I like. This means that the videos all have black bars either on the left-ride sides, or across all four sides. The video image is smaller, yes, but the image quality is much higher and defined.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

This is the 'Cat Power - He War' video with black bars (not cropped or stretched out) as I like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poGk-bo7Wmc

Now this is the 'Sleater-Kinney - Jumpers' video that has been cropped and blown up to fill up a screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZA_7FtttRY

So, is there a way to make Handbrake convert the 16:9 videos on this disc back to their original 4:3 size, along with adding the black bars? I don't quite understand the 'picture' tab in Handbrake and how to use it to downsize a picture. In other words, I know how to crop off black bars and blow up the size of a video, but I don't know how to add black bars and downsize a video.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt you can add any black borders in handbrake. I would try something else like xmedia recode, xvid4psp, avidemux etc. They can import ripped dvd folders or use vob2mpg and import the mpg.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I doubt you can add any black borders in handbrake. I would try something else like xmedia recode, xvid4psp, avidemux etc. They can import ripped dvd folders or use vob2mpg and import the mpg.
    Dude, you're a God. Thank you. I didn't think I'd find what I was looking for here, but XMedia Recode was exactly what I needed. It read the folder for that DVD I was having trouble with and after 20 minutes of encoding, spit out a perfect 4:3 file formatted with an accurate letterbox around the image. No fuss, no muss. I can now take that file, chop it up, and run it through Handbrake and extract the videos as I like them. Even better, it can reformat some of the stretched, poorly cropped videos I've bought off of iTunes and downsize them for a better viewing experience on a large screen.

I'd buy you a beer or three if I could.
    Quote Quote