VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an ISO file that is from a DVD. The ISO file is corrupt. I tried to burn the ISO to DVD using Nero, but the DVD will not play.

The Video in the ISO seems to still be ok. I can play the ISO in Windows Media Player Classic.

I tried ISOBuster and it could read the ISO, but I don't want to pay $30, as this is probably a one time thing.

I want to extract the VOBs from the ISO. Any suggestions on how to extract the VOB's from the ISO using only true freeware?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Open the ISO with 7-zip and extract the VOB files. Or mount the ISO image with Daemon Tools. Drag/drop the VOB files.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tearren View Post
    I have an ISO file that is from a DVD.
    How did you get or make the ISO from the DVD ?

The ISO file is corrupt.
    How do you know it is ?

I tried to burn the ISO to DVD using Nero, but the DVD will not play.
    I jumped up and down on my dvd and ran it over with my car in my driveway but it still won't play!!!
    Really ?!?!?
    Since 2001 and you are using Nero instead of ImgBurn ?!?!?!

The Video in the ISO seems to still be ok. I can play the ISO in Windows Media Player Classic.
    The you probably do NOT have an "ISO file that is corrupt"!!

I tried ISOBuster and it could read the ISO, but I don't want to pay $30, as this is probably a one time thing.
    ISObuster is more for reading damaged disc's, not an ISO or image file already on your hard drive, because once it is on your hard drive, anything missing from the disc is already missing!!!!!

But then you never said how you got it to your hdd.......

How did you try to play it that is would not play ?
    On a standalone after you burned it with "nero" ?

Man, way to many things you left out for anything more than a bunch of guesses!!!

Only "true" freeware eh, well, like Jagabo stated, I usually use Winrar to get files from an ISO or something else to get them from the disc itself, but then again, you really did not give any helpful or pertinent information.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DVDShrink also opens ISO images.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    I have an ISO file that is from a DVD.
    How did you get or make the ISO from the DVD ?
    I think we all know the answer to that and why he can't say so.

Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    I tried to burn the ISO to DVD using Nero, but the DVD will not play.
    I jumped up and down on my dvd and ran it over with my car in my driveway but it still won't play!!!
    Really ?!?!?
    Since 2001 and you are using Nero instead of ImgBurn ?!?!?!
    I would also recommend ImgBurn but Nero is safe enough for ISO burning. Burning ISOs and making audio CDs are among the very few things that Nero can be trusted to do.

Anyway, the "DVD will not play" issue could be a variety of things that aren't really Nero behaving badly. It could be that the burn wasn't closed and is still open as if it was a multi-session burn. The burner itself could be faulty. It could be a problem with the media and his DVD player doesn't like the (probably) low quality crap media he burned to. If the ISO plays correctly in WMP, which is an absolute POS software program, then it should be OK and thus should be able to be burned correctly. But we are missing lots of details as you pointed out. I'd suggest burning with ImgBurn just to eliminate Nero doing something stupid like not closing the burn and using Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim (anything but their cheap "Life" series of discs) DVDs. Also, if the player it was tested on is very old, then there's some chance that it has a strong preference for +R or -R and maybe he burned to the other type of disc.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried 7-Zip I added the file, double clicked it, then selected it and clicked extract. I got the error message and it said cannot open file as archive. It also said ERRORS 1.

I also tried Daemon Tools. I mounted the iso. DT gave me the error message 'Windows can't access this disc. The disc might be corrupt.' I would think this would mean the ISO is corrupt, would this be the case?

I also tried to burn the ISO in IMGBurn and it said Invalid or unsupported image file format! It seems wierd, I can burn the ISO in Nero, but I can't in IMGBurn.

I only use TY Disks to burn. The specific Disks used are DVD-R TYG03. I tried to play the first dvd I burned in several players and it wouldn't work, 1 a sony about a year old, the other panasonic 5+ years old.

I will be unavailable the next few days. I will try DVDshrink when I get back.

Thanks to all the helpful suggestions, if anyone can think of anything else to try it would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Tearren View Post
    I would think this would mean the ISO is corrupt, would this be the case?
    I suspect it's not an ISO image. Media players are good at determining the actual container even when the file is misnamed with an incorrect extension. Try using MediaInfo -- it doesn't handle true ISO images but if it's some other type of video file it will tell you what the actual container and codecs are. MPCHC has a built in MediaInfo function. Play the video then: File -> Properties -> MediaInfo.
    Last edited by jagabo; 24th Jul 2013 at 22:00.
    Quote Quote