VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a complete newbie about that subject so any information about it will be useful. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. A 3-D Blu-Ray disc, 3-D capable Blu-Ray player, a 3-D capable TV set, and the right pair of 3-D glasses.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Is there any device to be used along with a HDTV that can do the job of a 3D TV set? 3D TV sets are quite expensive.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Big-Louis-1971 View Post
    Is there any device to be used along with a HDTV that can do the job of a 3D TV set? 3D TV sets are quite expensive.
    No. It is not possible to change a 2D flatscreen TV into a 3D flatscreen TV by purchasing a kit or a separate device. In addition to the electronics needed for processing and displaying 3D video, for passive 3D, the TV needs to have a special polarizing film, or for active 3D, the TV needs to have an IR or RF emitter to sync active shutter glasses.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there any device to be used along with a HDTV that can do the job of a 3D TV set? 3D TV sets are quite expensive.
    You should be able to use a 3D Fury or 3D Now Theater box to turn a 2D HDTV into a 3D TV.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KBeee View Post
    You should be able to use a 3D Fury or 3D Now Theater box to turn a 2D HDTV into a 3D TV.
    Well that explains why I never heard of them. HDFury's products aren't available in the US. 3D Now is fairly new.

[Edit] ...but 3D Now's product is available here. http://www.amazon.com/3DNOW-Theater-Processor-Eyewear-Starter/dp/B009E7WDLO

Some new 3D TVs cost less.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 23rd Jul 2013 at 10:06.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I searched Amazon and found some 3D converter boxes priced between $33.99 to $49.99. Do you have any idea if those ones will also do the job?
    Quote Quote  
  8. A 3-D Blu-Ray disc, 3-D capable Blu-Ray player, a 3-D capable TV set, and the right pair of 3-D glasses.

No. It is not possible to change a 2D flatscreen TV into a 3D flatscreen TV by purchasing a kit or a separate device.
    In addition 3-D capable PC Monitor (if available and if you wanna watch it on computer).

How come it looks 3-D when I see whole universe with bare naked eyes, except videos?
    It looks way more beautiful than 3-D videos. I believe HE is the perfect designer.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I searched Amazon and found some 3D converter boxes priced between $33.99 to $49.99. Do you have any idea if those ones will also do the job?
    The inexpensive converters are for use with anaglyph glasses, like those used in movie theaters in the 60s with one amber or red lens and one blue or cyan lens. The most expensive boxes like the 3D Now product use active shutter glasses like the more expensive 3D TVs.

The inexpensive boxes can give a 3D effect but not the same quality as what a real 3D TV would provide. I do not think I could recommend any of them. If you read the user reviews, some buyers liked them, but others noted that colors looked wrong or too pale.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by enim View Post
    How come it looks 3-D when I see whole universe with bare naked eyes, except videos?
    Because when you look at the real world each eye sees a slightly different view -- because of the distance between your eyes. Your brain has learned to interpret that as a 3d view. When you look at 2d image both eyes see the exact same image so it does not appear 3d.
    Quote Quote  
  11. If you play the 3D disc on a computer, with the right video driver / software combination, you can use the above mentioned anaglyph if you have a 2D monitor.

The 3D output (please correct me / add info if there are other ways) splits the image vertically, and therefore halves the resolution 1920 / 2, in order to present the left and right eye. When output, this is then sent out again full screen, and mixed using the anaglyph colours.

Some software / video drivers let you choose the colour and separation for each eye. I am looking to do more testing personally, but have not seen, nor read, very good results from this method.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by KBeee View Post
    Well that explains why I never heard of them. HDFury's products aren't available in the US. 3D Now is fairly new.

[Edit] ...but 3D Now's product is available here. http://www.amazon.com/3DNOW-Theater-Processor-Eyewear-Starter/dp/B009E7WDLO

Some new 3D TVs cost less.
    They certainly aren't cheap, but if you have a high quality HDTV that doesn't do 3D, then they can be a good option. Some Pioneer Kuro TV owners seem to like them, for instance.
    Quote Quote  
  13. 3D Now: it flickers like hell since each eye only sees 30 fields per second.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    3D Now: it flickers like hell since each eye only sees 30 fields per second.
    That makes sense. A 120Hz TV is needed instead of a 60Hz TV for active shutter glasses to work well. As Wikipedia explained: "Frame rate has to be double that of a non-3D, anaglyph, or polarized 3D systems to get an equivalent result. All equipment in the chain has to be able to process frames at double rate..."
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also effectively halves the brightness (or rather, the amount of light getting to each eye) , but Hey, some people like it
    Quote Quote