VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I would like to convert a 25p video to 50p. My friend has a 1 year old Samsung TV, a 3D TV, it can of course project in 2D too. I was very amazed at the capabilities of its smart motion functions, that upconvert 25p video to 50p. I would like to do the same on computer manually so that I can save the video in 50p in the end.

In the past some of the members here helped me to convert 60i to 50i with motion interpolation, using HC GUI. The result was quite good. I wonder if HC GUI could be used for the same purpose, too? Or I should use some other software?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you. By the way, motion interpolation in my case means the same as doubling the frames for getting 50p? Or motion interpolation does more than that? Or that Samsung TV, that just doubles the frames, too?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, DoubleFPS() interpolates intermediate frames.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I've no idea how this compares to MVTools, but it's another suggestion. http://www.spirton.com/interframe/

If you use a PC for playback, rather than encode the video as 50p, you could try something like this: http://www.svp-team.com/
    Quote Quote  
  5. Svpflow (used by Interframe) is based on mvtools (they added GPU acceleration). The last time I tried it out it delivered more artifacts than doublefps/mvtools and had some bugs. That was about six months ago. It may have improved since then.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you for the suggestions! I will try this solution with MVtools first.

Anyway, I have tried using Xilisoft video converter int he past, but interestingly the judder didn't disappear from the video. I mean that flickering on extreme light/dark contrast portions. How can that be? The file became 50p, yet there was judder.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Bencuri View Post
    Thank you for the suggestions! I will try this solution with MVtools first.

Anyway, I have tried using Xilisoft video converter int he past, but interestingly the judder didn't disappear from the video. I mean that flickering on extreme light/dark contrast portions. How can that be?
    If you step through the video frame by frame you'll see all they did was duplicate each frame. So even though there are now 50 frames every second you're only seeing 25 different frames every second. So it's really the same thing as 25p. 25 frames per second simply isn't sufficient for smooth motion.
    Quote Quote