VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a still photographer with a little experience with video editing. I have a client who asked me to author a DVD for them of their family videos all shot on their iPhone. Most of the videos are shot vertical in their phone and when I load the quicktime movies in my computer they all rotate. Is there any authoring software out there that can actually correct for this? With the modern age of everyone shooting video in the wrong direction I was hoping that someone has come up with some kind of solution for this. Youtube auto corrects for this so I was hoping there is some video editing software or something easy to author a DVD that can do this easily. We're talking 130 videos. Any help you guys can provide would be really appreciated. Thanks!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i think you mean 'From' not 'for'

auto correct?
    i don't know of any
    but plenty of softwzre has a rotate function built into the command stucture or 'filters '
    cropping sizing rotation can all be performed
    by avidemux, virtualdub, avsynth etc

do your corrections, then author the dvd

you do realize that when making dvd compatible files
    you will be cropping of the top and or bottom of their 'rotated' videos to have (at best) a 4:3 STD aspect video
    dvd std does not allow tall vertical videos
    the other option is lots of padding on each side, so the video is resized to the correct height,but takes up only about half the screen, maybe less
    this will not be a fun job.... good luck
    cut 30 seconds up load it and we/somebody will give a finished example
    Last edited by theewizard; 21st Jul 2013 at 14:34.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Editing and authoring are two different functions and in this case should be treated as such. (Agreeing with theewizard) Almost certainly you will want to reframe the video to some extent rather than have just a tiny thin strip of image in the middle (or a grotesquely widened frame.)

The other little "treat" iphone video will serve you is variable frame rate. It makes perfect sense for clips sent from phone to phone, it's a PITA for combining clips together. If you use a real NLE such as Vegas Movie Studio or Adobe Premiere Elements the results may not be perfect, but you'll shed far fewer tears getting there.

THEN you author.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for your reply but perhaps I'm not articulating what I'm looking for as good as I could. I looked at the programs you suggested...

avidemux - more of a video editor of some kind. Using this will take me 20 years to accomplish my task.
    virtualdub - some sort of player and batch converter. I couldn't really figure out what this was really intended for.
    avsynth - couldn't find anything in Google on this.

So let me reword my question a bit. Imagine I take a video on my smartphone vertically. It's stupid, yes, I know, but let's say I do it anyway. I upload the video to Youtube and Youtube instantly recognizes the problem and rotates the video for me. The sides are black, that's fine, but at least you can watch the video the way it was recorded. No problem.

I'm looking for software that can either:

A: make a dvd of home movies....dozens and dozens of them, where the video is rotated as explained above. It doesn't have to be pretty, these are home movies of kids' birthday parties and such. or:

B: some sort of batch rotating software where I can drag 130 videos into it, say, "ROTATE 90 DEGREES LEFT" then walk away for the night to have all the videos rotated in the morning so I can author the DVD normally.

I'm looking for the easiest way possible to accomplish either of those tasks. I'm more than happy to sacrifice quality over ease of use.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Editing and authoring are two different functions and in this case should be treated as such. (Agreeing with theewizard) Almost certainly you will want to reframe the video to some extent rather than have just a tiny thin strip of image in the middle (or a grotesquely widened frame.)

The other little "treat" iphone video will serve you is variable frame rate. It makes perfect sense for clips sent from phone to phone, it's a PITA for combining clips together. If you use a real NLE such as Vegas Movie Studio or Adobe Premiere Elements the results may not be perfect, but you'll shed far fewer tears getting there.

THEN you author.
    This makes sense to me. So far so good, and I'm fine with having black, dead space on the sides of the video. I'm not looking to combine all these videos into one long one, rather to have them as separate chapters on the DVD. We're talking 130 home movies. Some are 5 minutes long, some are 20 seconds long. I just want it so you can click on any individual movie and play it. simple simple simple. So I agree that perhaps doing the rotation first is the best idea, so now what kind of software can batch process over 130 videos for me like this?

remember, simple simple simple.

Thanks for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by shotbyadam View Post

remember, simple simple simple.
    Unfortunately, authoring a DVD with menus and links to 130 separate videos is pretty much the opposite of simple, simple simple.

Here are SOME of the issues, note they are generic to DVD, not specific to this software:

http://documentation.apple.com/en/dvdstudiopro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=2%26secti...9%26tasks=true
    Last edited by smrpix; 21st Jul 2013 at 15:04.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i don't know anything that will handle that many
    the programs mention will handle 'batch' programing when using a script of instructions, the limit ? idk

'Super' will handle perhaps ten at a time in drag and drop mode
    Quote Quote  
  8. I think I found it. Wondershare DVD creator can do all this. Thanks for your help guys!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    with a real editor like sony vegas pro you can import all the videos select all and right click tell vegas they need to be displayed 90 degrees in either direction. no re-encoding needed.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  10. If it allows more than 99 titles, please let us know. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if it's capable of multiple vts then it would be ok, as only 99 titles are allowed per title set. but looking at their website that's doubtful.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote