VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I've been recording PAL 625 tapes through a Black Magic Decklink capture card, and have run into a small issue of having thin black bars on the side of the video. I know the video needs to be converted to 16:9 DAR after capturing, but I was wondering if there's a way to capture the video without the black, or is that a problem with the tapes? Attached is pic for ref. Thanks!
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image003.png
Views:	318
Size:	658.2 KB
ID:	18884  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The black bars are perfectly normal.

I am more worried about your notion of 16:9. You may care to post a mediainfo report of a raw capture just to be sure that your capture settings are correct.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I know that the picture is of the video in 4:3. To my knowledge, my capture card won't let me capture in 16:9, and I usually set the DAR in post processing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I do not see anything in that capture to suggest that 16:9 is the correct AR. Set it to 16:9 post processing and you will stretch the video unless you add even wider black bars.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I do not see anything in that capture to suggest that 16:9 is the correct AR.
    Looks Ok to me at 16x9 DAR.

[Attachment 18886 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 10:02.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmn.

When did capture cards do anamorphic and especially from a non-anamorphic source ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. The active picture area in a 720x576 PAL capture is ~702x576. The extra ~18 pixels at the sides are there in case the picture is slightly off center and to have a standard frame size. Ie, the black borders are normal. If you want to remove them you can use a crop filter. Then resize the remaining 702x576 to a 16:9 frame size. Or set pixel aspect ratio to 16:11.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If this is going to DVD and you've captured 720x576 interlaced, the only thing you need to do is set the DAR to 16x9. You could crop to 704x576 if you want (I do), but the vast majority of commercial DVDs from legacy sources retain those black borders. Also, look at BBC One UK (which uses 720x576) and when it is showing native SD programming you will see those borders. Your TV hides them. All TVs hide them by default, unless you manually disabled overscan / manually enable 1:1 exact pixel mode.

If this is going on-line, it's worth deinterlacing, cropping the borders, re-sizing to square pixel etc.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Assuming I have an unlimited budget, is there any hardware/software combination out there that would allow for the removal of the bars during recording? I've been told that this can be done during digitization of the tape, but the only thing I have is BlackMagic Media Express and they're very limited in their options.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Many capture programs allow cropping while capturing. VirtualDub, for example.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Is there anything that's recommended for Mac? All the programs listed are sadly for Windows
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Two things you will learn.

1. Put your PC specs in your membership profile.

2. Post topics about Mac software in the dedicated Mac forum.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Two things you will learn.

1. Put your PC specs in your membership profile.

2. Post topics about Mac software in the dedicated Mac forum.
    Three, the third being that for serious video hobbyists a PC is necessary.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    background history

Mac initially captured desktop publishing and graphic design, aka initially

because of open slots and hardware cards, the PC captured video editing and processing and CGI design
    Quote Quote