VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey all.
    Recently, I shut down my computer and monitor to clean the monitor screen. The next day upon restart, I pushed the power button on the computer and it started up, however when I pushed the power button on the monitor(Dell LCD SE198WFPf), the power button light flashed a quick blue light(usual color for when the power is on) and then went directly to a flashing amber light, emitting about once per second. The monitor screen was blank which led me to think that something might be wrong with the monitor. I replaced the monitor temporarily with a older Dell CRT E773s from a different computer and it seems to be working okay with the computer.
    Was wondering what options there were to try to get the LCD monitor working correctly again.

Any info is appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if the monitor power supply and the cable from the computer are fine i'd start shopping for a new monitor.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    if the monitor power supply and the cable from the computer are fine i'd start shopping for a new monitor.
    Thanks for the reply aedipuss.
    I'm not sure about the monitor power supply or the cable from the computer, however
    when I plug the monitor into a wall socket without the cable from the computer, the monitor seems to be getting some kind of power as the power button light continues to blink. The monitor however still has a blank screen.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Best to buy a new monitor since its over 4 years old and not worth repairing,you can get new lcd monitor anywhere for under a $100 for the same size.

Sounds like the lamp went out on it and that's expensive to replace.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Best to buy a new monitor since its over 4 years old and not worth repairing,you can get new lcd monitor anywhere for under a $100 for the same size.

Sounds like the lamp went out on it and that's expensive to replace.
    Thanks for the reply johns0.
    The monitor does have some years on it. However I was hoping to maybe fix it, if possible.
    Was wondering if there are any tests that I can run on the monitor to find out what went out. Whether it was the power supply, lamp, or possibly the capacitors.

A couple of things I didn't mentioned previously:
    -When the monitor is getting power(plugged in), the monitor power button light stays on continuously(blinking) regardless of whether the power button has been depressed or not.
    -When the monitor was working correctly, there seemed to be a light of some kind that could be seen through the back screen of the monitor. Since the monitor screen went blank, no light can be seen through the back screen of the monitor.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds more like a problem in the circuits such as a power issue with the light blinking,you can fix it but the time involved to track down the problem isn't worth it,most repair shops will tell you just to buy a new monitor.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds more like a problem in the circuits such as a power issue with the light blinking,you can fix it but the time involved to track down the problem isn't worth it,most repair shops will tell you just to buy a new monitor.
    Yea, I was wondering about that. I've read online that one of the first things to go out on a monitor might be a capacitor on the powerboard. Without taking the monitor apart, I'm not sure how to go about checking to see if the capacitors are okay.

Getting a new monitor is something I've thought about, however was wondering about compatiblity and a few other things.
    -Does a new monitor have to be the same model as the original for it to work well the computer?
    -Where online can one buy a monitor(refurbished or new) that doesn't require a paypal account or a credit card?
    -Approximately how long will I be able to use the backup CRT monitor that I'm currently using without any compatibility issues, if any?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can use any monitor as long as it has the right plugin such as vga,hdmi or dvi to your video input on the computer,the only thing you need to do is set the video display on your computer to 800x600 or similar at 60hz before using the crt and adjusting it after.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Most newer monitors have self diagnostics built in and that is mostly what you see when the lights flash. Substitute a different VGA/Digital video cable if you haven't already.
    Flashing lights may mean no video signal, hence the cable substitution. Also check the socket on the monitor for bent or broken pins.

You mentioned that this happened after a screen cleaning. I'll assume you didn't get any water inside the monitor.

It's not uncommon for the florescent backlight to fail, but usually if it does, the monitor still behaves normally, just no picture. They don't usually just quit, but fade out.

Next would be the power supply for the florescent light. That's where you are generally checking for bad caps or burned parts. They can quickly fail.

If you really want to attempt a repair, pull the back off the monitor and do a visual inspection. Look for bulged capacitors or burned parts or something obvious.

Unplug and disconnect the monitor from the line cord before you try any of this and let the circuits bleed off for a couple of hours. !!

Don't probe around with metal screwdrivers or tools. Even low voltage capacitors can melt the end off a screwdriver if shorted.

Beyond that, you need a bit of electronics experience and some basic test equipment, such as a volt/ohm meter. Also needed is a soldering iron and knowledge to use it.

Working with live 110V circuits can get you killed or injured. Don't do this without proper training.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can use any monitor as long as it has the right plugin such as vga,hdmi or dvi to your video input on the computer,the only thing you need to do is set the video display on your computer to 800x600 or similar at 60hz before using the crt and adjusting it after.
    Appreciate the info. I had the video display at 800x600 @ 75hz and when I changed it to 800x600 @ 60hz, the desktop display moved slightly towards the left and not centered. Is there a way to re-center the desktop display while in this mode?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    Most newer monitors have self diagnostics built in and that is mostly what you see when the lights flash. Substitute a different VGA/Digital video cable if you haven't already.
    Flashing lights may mean no video signal, hence the cable substitution. Also check the socket on the monitor for bent or broken pins.

You mentioned that this happened after a screen cleaning. I'll assume you didn't get any water inside the monitor.

It's not uncommon for the florescent backlight to fail, but usually if it does, the monitor still behaves normally, just no picture. They don't usually just quit, but fade out.

Next would be the power supply for the florescent light. That's where you are generally checking for bad caps or burned parts. They can quickly fail.

If you really want to attempt a repair, pull the back off the monitor and do a visual inspection. Look for bulged capacitors or burned parts or something obvious.

Unplug and disconnect the monitor from the line cord before you try any of this and let the circuits bleed off for a couple of hours. !!

Don't probe around with metal screwdrivers or tools. Even low voltage capacitors can melt the end off a screwdriver if shorted.

Beyond that, you need a bit of electronics experience and some basic test equipment, such as a volt/ohm meter. Also needed is a soldering iron and knowledge to use it.

Working with live 110V circuits can get you killed or injured. Don't do this without proper training.
    Thanks for the reply redwudz.
    When I cleaned the monitor screen, it was with a lightly moist(with water) monitor wipe. No more than usual.

Tomorrow, after the monitor has had no power for a while, I'll attempt to have a look at the inside of the monitor. Hopefully, I'll find out something.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can adjust the screen to a higher resolution depending on the monitor,if its a 20 inch crt then you can try and set it to 1024x768@85hz.You can google with the crt model number and name and see what resolutions it can handle.

I just gave you safe resolution to start with.Flashing lights usually mean a problem with the monitor since the power off and on doesn't do anything.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Get this one and be happy. I got mine for $150, free shipping; I notice they are offering a "free" flash drive with a limited time on the offer, so I suspect the price will drop when the offer expires. You are going to waste a ton of your life messing with something that probably cannot be repaired. BTW-if you are going to resolder new caps on a circuit board, I strongly suggest you carefully read the "Recapping Tutorials" on the left of the screen here.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can adjust the screen to a higher resolution depending on the monitor,if its a 20 inch crt then you can try and set it to 1024x768 @ 85hz. You can google with the crt model number and name and see what resolutions it can handle.

I just gave you safe resolution to start with.Flashing lights usually mean a problem with the monitor since the power off and on doesn't do anything.
    Yea, I currently have the backup CRT monitor set at the 1024x768 @ 75hz mode which seems to work well.
    Thanks again for the added information.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ranchhand View Post
    Get this one and be happy. I got mine for $150, free shipping; I notice they are offering a "free" flash drive with a limited time on the offer, so I suspect the price will drop when the offer expires. You are going to waste a ton of your life messing with something that probably cannot be repaired. BTW-if you are going to resolder new caps on a circuit board, I strongly suggest you carefully read the "Recapping Tutorials" on the left of the screen here.
    Thanks for the links ranchhand.
    As mentioned earlier, I would like to be able to find a website online that has new or refurbished monitors for sale and accepts money-orders as a method of payment.

As a much as I would like to have a look at the monitor caps and see if they need to be replaced, it's looking more and more to be quite a project to disassemble and then reassemble an LCD monitor. Hopefully, I'll have more time at some point.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if you can use a screwdriver & a Soldering iron its an easy fix, you will need to pull it apart to look at PSU caps to tee if they are swollen,

i have just fixed a 50 inch samsung plasma & a Dell monitor last week, found the caps had gone & ordered from ebay About £2.50 for 5 Caps(Aprox $4.80)
    just make sure to look on the side of caps for volts & code. remember to put the new caps in correct way
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jdvideo View Post
    As mentioned earlier, I would like to be able to find a website online that has new or refurbished monitors for sale and accepts money-orders as a method of payment.
    There is one online retailer I have dealt with, Directron, that permits customers to pre-pay with a cashier's check or money order. http://www.directron.com/payment-policy.html#prepay.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Something else to try -- after unplugging all the cables, press the power button and hold it for 30+ seconds. Apparently some monitors can get into a weird state and this process discharges caps & whatever sufficiently to do a "reset". This worked for me several years ago, IIRC. Not the same monitor, but it's worth a shot.

No guarantees, but all it will cost is 30 seconds. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wrathofbod View Post
    if you can use a screwdriver & a Soldering iron its an easy fix, you will need to pull it apart to look at PSU caps to tee if they are swollen,

i have just fixed a 50 inch samsung plasma & a Dell monitor last week, found the caps had gone & ordered from ebay About £2.50 for 5 Caps(Aprox $4.80)
    just make sure to look on the side of caps for volts & code. remember to put the new caps in correct way
    Thanks for the information(and detailed pic) wrathofbod.
    I haven't had the time to have a look at the monitor caps yet, but the information should be helpful.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    There is one online retailer I have dealt with, Directron, that permits customers to pre-pay with a cashier's check or money order. http://www.directron.com/payment-policy.html#prepay.
    Thanks for the link usually_quiet.
    I've haven't had a chance to look at the entire website yet, but there looks to be some quality monitors there.
    Hoping to find a monitor in the 50 to 100 dollar range.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Steve Stepoway View Post
    Something else to try -- after unplugging all the cables, press the power button and hold it for 30+ seconds. Apparently some monitors can get into a weird state and this process discharges caps & whatever sufficiently to do a "reset". This worked for me several years ago, IIRC. Not the same monitor, but it's worth a shot.

No guarantees, but all it will cost is 30 seconds. Good luck.
    Thanks for the information Steve Stepoway.
    I was hoping there would be a way to reset the monitor. After pressing the monitor power button for 30 seconds, unfortunately, the monitor still has a blank screen and the power button light continues to blink. I also tried pressing the menu button for 30 seconds with the same results. The monitor does appear to be getting some kind of power; just not enough to get it working correctly, it seems.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Question to all:
    Just wondering, are there any places that buy monitors that need a little work?
    If someone was able to replace the monitor caps and was able to get a working display, the monitor is still in good condition.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Question to all:
    If someone was able to replace the monitor caps and was able to get a working display, the monitor is still in good condition.
    I guess you did not understand anything posted previously on the subject of repairing your monitor. Nobody will want to buy or take the time to attempt repairs on a 4-year old non-working monitor. In some parts of the US, you'll be paying a recycling center to take it off your hands because it isn't legal to put electronic waste in the trash.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Question to all:
    I guess you did not understand anything posted previously on the subject of repairing your monitor. Nobody will want to buy or take the time to attempt repairs on a 4-year old non-working monitor. In some parts of the US, you'll be paying a recycling center to take it off your hands because it isn't legal to put electronic waste in the trash.
    Yea, I hear ya. I just might not have the time and/or experience to fix the monitor on my own.
    I've read online that some monitors that had been previously discarded were repaired for very little.
    It was just a matter of having the time and having some experience replacing monitor capacitors.
    If I could save a little money by selling a monitor(that someone with experience might be able to fix),
    it would help towards possibly to a new or refurbished monitor as a replacement.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Question to all:
    Yea, I hear ya. I just might not have the time and/or experience to fix the monitor on my own.
    I've read online that some monitors that had been previously discarded were repaired for very little.
    It was just a matter of having the time and having some experience replacing monitor capacitors.
    If I could save a little money by selling a monitor(that someone with experience might be able to fix),
    it would help towards possibly to a new or refurbished monitor as a replacement.
    It may well have problems beyond a bad capacitor or two, so the answer is still that no one in his right mind will want to buy an average-quality, four year-old, broken LCD monitor on the off chance that they can fix it, no matter what you think of its condition, and regardless of your need for some extra cash. You would be very lucky to find someone who would take it for free to try to fix it.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Question to all:
    It may well have problems beyond a bad capacitor or two, so the answer is still that no one in his right mind will want to buy an average-quality, four year-old, broken LCD monitor on the off chance that they can fix it, no matter what you think of its condition, and regardless of your need for some extra cash. You would be very lucky to find someone who would take it for free to try to fix it.
    Actually, the monitor is almost 6 years old. But I understand what you're saying.
    I've found a few websites that seem to buy used electronics to recycle. Not sure what condition the monitor has to be in though.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, the monitor is almost 6 years old. But I understand what you're saying.
    I've found a few websites that seem to buy used electronics to recycle. Not sure what condition the monitor has to be in though.
    After six years of average use, an LCD monitor with CFL back lighting has reached end of life, no matter how much someone originally paid for it, and yours is broken to boot, but sure go ahead and waste your time chasing after a lost cause.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After six years of average use, an LCD monitor with CFL back lighting has reached end of life, no matter how much someone originally paid for it, and yours is broken to boot, but sure go ahead and waste your time chasing after a lost cause.
    Any money I can get towards another LCD monitor will be helpful, even if it may take a little time.
    And as mentioned, I'm currently using a older CRT monitor for a backup, which works well enough for now.
    Quote Quote