VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have captured 2 different soccer games with my HD PVR, each about 2.2GBs in size. I then authored using AVCHD and ended up with 2 different AVCHD folders, one for each game, meaning multiple BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders.

I then opened IMGBurn software to burn to disc but it would NOT allow me to upload multiple BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders so i Renamed 2 of those folders, the processed seems to work, burning was finalized but when I put the disc in my Bluray player it could not read it.

I then went back to AVCHD and joined BOTH games together into one project. Go the AVCHD output folder and it all seemed and looked great but after burning to disc I got the same result and was not able to read and play the disc.

So my question is could this simply be a problem with one of the MP4 files within the project I am creating when I join both games together and if Not how can , or is there a way to burn 2 separate AVCHD projects using IMGBurn with multiple BDMV / CERTIFICATE folders?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No, you can't burn 2 separate bdmv folders on one avchd disc. It wont be avchd/blu-ray compliant.

How do you author/convert? What software? Are you just adding two mp4s and it creates TWO avchd folders? It sounds like crapware then. .
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    No, you can't burn 2 separate bdmv folders on one avchd disc. It wont be avchd/blu-ray compliant.

How do you author/convert? What software? Are you just adding two mp4s and it creates TWO avchd folders? It sounds like crapware then. .
    Baldrick - thanks for replying, I am using Multi AVCHD 4.1 version to author, I just realized and noticed that one of the games which had 2 separate MP4 files got screwed up when I joined both MP4 files into one ( used <a class="contentlink" href="https://www.videohelp.com/tools/My-MP4Box-GUI" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">My MP4 box GUI ) the 2nd half audio is mute, looks like this could have been the problem when the AVCHD folder was created for this project?

Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Are you just adding two mp4s and it creates TWO avchd folders?
    Originally I created 2 separate projects which of course created 2 AVCHD folders which I could not burn together even by renaming the BDMV folders as you stated in the first line.

I then created just the 1 project which contains a total of 3 MP4 files using MultiAVCHD with the one having the corrupted MP4 file which I had already joined so that seems to be the problem I think!

Just to be clear am I doing this right? this process does give me a finished AVCHD folder file of about 7GB in size.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just checked a couple of more projects I had put together joining MP4 files and ALL of them had the same issue, Audio cuts off where the 2nd MP4 file joins the first, so I am almost certain now that was the main problem, and the MP4 software I am using for joining MP4's is crap!

I will make sure I author with MultiAVCHD uploading the MP4 files individually for now.

Does anyone know of a free software that actually works for joining MP4 files?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I personally never had a lot of success joining mp4 files either ... not sure if it's the container, or the software just isn't up to the task. This is what I did instead: remux the mp4 file into an mkv file (I use the mkv muxer from the Tools in meGUI, but other tools may also work) ... play the mkv after to verify the audio is still in sync (it almost always is) ... use MKVMergeGUI (from MKVTools) to join all your new MKV's together, and then verify the final (joined) file doesn't have audio sync issues (again, usually not). Now, I don't personally use MultiAVCHD, but it should be able to use your new MKV file the way you were using your mp4, since the contents (audio and video types) are the same. You can convert this final MKV back to an mp4 if needed, but I don't think you need to (MkvToMp4 will probably do the trick, but you can also demux the mkv, and then remux it back into an mp4 container). For some reason, joining MKV files tends to be a lot easier than joining mp4 files ... go figure. Anyways, hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rickydavao View Post
    I personally never had a lot of success joining mp4 files either ... not sure if it's the container, or the software just isn't up to the task. This is what I did instead: remux the mp4 file into an mkv file (I use the mkv muxer from the Tools in meGUI, but other tools may also work) ... play the mkv after to verify the audio is still in sync (it almost always is) ... use MKVMergeGUI (from MKVTools) to join all your new MKV's together, and then verify the final (joined) file doesn't have audio sync issues (again, usually not). Now, I don't personally use MultiAVCHD, but it should be able to use your new MKV file the way you were using your mp4, since the contents (audio and video types) are the same. You can convert this final MKV back to an mp4 if needed, but I don't think you need to (MkvToMp4 will probably do the trick, but you can also demux the mkv, and then remux it back into an mp4 container). For some reason, joining MKV files tends to be a lot easier than joining mp4 files ... go figure. Anyways, hope this helps.

Thank you so much for this alternative Ricky. I too have heard and read that joining MP4 files is a pain and few programs do a good job at it and even those that do will not have a 100% ratio. A good example of that was the first few files I joined, the first 2 or 3 worked flawless and then every single one after that had issues, they either could not be joined together or had the Audio issues.

I will try what you suggested and I know for a fact MultiAVCHD works well with MKV files since I've done this in the past. Thanks for your help again!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is it so very absolutely necessary to join these *.mp4 files together into one big one?? Appending some file types to each other, like *.mp4 files, is hit and miss. Why at-all-costs insist on doing so?? If they properly play by themselves individually, audio and video in sync and all that, why not leave them as is? If I were to author a blu-ray disc with them, I'll simply make a menu to point to each of them and/or cause them to play sequentially without missing a beat. The authoring program will create individual *.mt2s files for each of these clips in the \BDMV\STREAM folder.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote