VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am having a problem adding a director's commentary track ripped from a DVD to a Bluray rip of one of my movies via MakeMKVGui and am having an audio sync problem. I've tried manually adjusting the track via the Delay option but it never really works. Researching here, I get the idea of it's because the audio track while the same length of the video (1hr 59min) that the sync problem is due to the FPS difference between a DVD and Bluray video but couldn't find the solution to make the audio sync problem go away. Any help appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by v1nce View Post
    Researching here, I get the idea of it's because the audio track while the same length of the video (1hr 59min)...
    To the minute isn't good enough. But yes, one might be 23.976fps (the DVD from which the commentary audio was taken) and the other 24fps (the Blu-Ray video). That would make for about a 7 second difference by the end of a two hour long movie. Assuming you can synch up the beginning, are you getting something similar by the end? If so, stretch the commentary track to be the real same length as the Blu-Ray movie.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm looking for help in getting the DVD audio to sync with the Bluray ripped mkvfile. I've used mkvmakegui before using the delay option in the audio options for the offending track but no matter how much delay I use plus or minus it never ever syncs to the video track. I've heard to use the stretch option but can't figure out what value to add if that's the problem. I've never had this kind of problem w/syncing audio before any help appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  4. You didn't answer my questions? How can anyone guess? If you get it in synch at the beginning, then how much is it off at the end? And can't you get the times for the two versions more precise than just 1:59:00?

I suggested that one possible explanation would be one at 23.976fps and the other at 24fps, but you didn't confirm or deny that guess. If that is the reason, it should be a simple matter to figure out how to set up the stretch option.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry I thought at no point does the video sync as I said was informing you that at no point is the video synced even at the beginning from what I saw. I will post the info on the files next time I try it as well as the settings I'm using and hopefully that will help. Sorry about any confusion.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You said you had used the delay option on this commentary track. If it actually works to shift the position of the commentary track against the video, it shouldn't be too hard to get it start at the same place in the Blu-Ray version as it does in the DVD version, right? Not to insult your intelligence, but you know that if it shifts it by milliseconds (never used MakeMKVGUI), then 1000ms equals 1 second?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I know and it still didn't sync.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sync the commentary track so the beginning matches the movie beginning then go to the end of the movie and see how far off it is,if it's 25 seconds too long then load the audio into audacity and click on effect/change tempo and change the time so its 25 seconds shorter.Export and see it it matches.

If it's still off then there's a good chance that there are scene changes that are different in length from the movie and the only way to sync it is very tedious audio editing.
    Last edited by johns0; 14th Jul 2013 at 17:38.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm hoping to do the same with 2 titles in particular that I have. What software do people suggest?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Forgot to add that I'm happy to keep in Blu-Ray, or convert to MKV. I guess if I convert MKVmerge will do the job.

Will BD Rebuilder do it?
    Quote Quote