VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have old home movie VHS footage that has been converted to uncompressed digital. I have created DVDs off this for the relatives etc, but would like to create a digital file that I can can play straight off my computer.

The base footage is running at around 13GB for an hour and there is a ton of junk / blue screen that I need to cut out (left conversion running overnight etc). So I would like to compress at high quality (~8000 kbits/sec) as well cut out the useless material.

1. Choice of approach? I have PowerDirector 11 and have previously used VirtualDub. Planning to use H264. I would prefer to use PowerDirector but it provides virtually no options. I used VirtualDub some years ago and had it set up with 2-pass and some filters etc but would have to relearn it, set it all up again etc. So my question is, do I just trust PowerDirector to have a well-optimised set-up or should I go to the trouble of setting up VD again?

2. Deinterlace or not? My second question is whether I deinterlace on conversion or just rely on the player to deinterlace when I play it? Most players seem to have the option to deinterlace on playing the file. Any pro's or con's of either choice?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'd use a smart bob and encode at 50 fps progressive. The best smart bob is QTGMC for AviSynth. The best in VirtualDub is probably the built in deinterlacer in Yadif mode.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. Might bite the bullet and get VirtualDub set up again. If I am doing that, will probably run some tests to understand the difference better. PowerDirector runs very fast but it is disappointing that there are no options for 2-pass or deinterlacing etc. All the focus is on effects and titles (and ease of use). I understand its a consumer focussed system but you would think the quality of the underlying video would still be the number 1 priority.
    Quote Quote  
  4. 13GB/hr sounds a lot like DV. Is that the case?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is mostly from VHS, captured digitally via a Canopus ADVC300 unit. It was captured direct without any compression on the way through as I wanted to control that separately, hence the 13GB/hr. Plus a few times I let it run too long so captured a few hours of blue screen at 13GB an hour as well....

It started on Mini-DV but backed up on VHS and a few of the mini-DV's got destroyed so I had to convert from the back-up VHS unfortunately - but at least I had the backup!. Did both sources via the Canopus and it came through at 13GB/hr regardless of whether it was coming from the DV or from VHS (DV better quality obviously as it was the master)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    D'oh, just realised that Canopus unit converts from analog to DV - so you are correct, the digital file is DV format.

Its just chewing up too much of my HDD space to leave it that way...
    Quote Quote  
  7. VirtualDub in Direct Stream Copy mode can cut/paste/trim DV AVI without any loss of quality.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I was thinking about leaving the source untouched if I could (other than trimming off the blue screen / other junk) - but was coming to the view that given the material is relatively low res / low quality anyway I might as well compress it a bit.

Guess that is the question, how much worse will low quality stuff look if I process it again? Was thinking it wouldn't be that noticeable because it was less than perfect to begin with - or does it amplify the already low quality?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Sample DV (30i), and bob deinterlaced with QTGMC() encoded with x264 at CRF=18 (60p).
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Given that a $170 "4TB" HDD holds 3745GiB, you can store about 12 days worth of DV content on one 3.5" disk at a cost of 59 cents per hour (double that for a backup). Maybe it's because I play around with uncompressed high def videos, but converting DV for storage space reasons seems like a waste of electricity to me.

Converting it to play on a set-top media player would be a compelling reason.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks jagabo - no better way to answer the question. Understand what you are saying vap - but looks to me like deinterlacing is a compelling enough reason to process the video - in which case I figure I might as well compress it somewhat as it makes no visible difference to me....
    Quote Quote