VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had a hard time the first time with the LAV filters. I was afraid to install them because I had trouble before with MPC-HC and sure nuff, I had all kinds of trouble after installing them. Graphstudio crashed every time I clicked the play button. At first it looked like it was working but I had 1% CPU usage and it was using all my memory. Then GraphStudio started crashing with the C++ debugger popping up so I uninstalled the LAV filters

I figured I'd try it again and installed the LAV filters and double clicked on both bat files. This time, everything worked like it was supposed to do. Something must not have installed correctly the first time. It was a lot faster than the other h265 encoder. I do a lot of high resolution graphics files in Photoshop that I turn into videos and these worked great since there are only a few frames so it didn't take long to encode and the file size was much smaller than the x264 encodes that I'd made and the solid color background looked a lot better. Some videos with a lot more frames ended up bigger than the original, some were slightly smaller and some were much smaller so it seems to be pretty inconsistent. I guess it depends on how much action is in the video.

I tried different file types and discovered that anything that used the LAV filters to open the files would encode with the lentoid hevc encoder and nothing would encode without the LAV filters. Everything that I encoded could be played back with MPC-HC with no problems. I already had MPC-HC set to open FLV so I didn't need to do anything.

I haven't tried audio yet but the biggest drawbacks so far are not being able to use any other muxer or encoding to a raw hevc (hev) file, the lack of a command line encoder to control the output of the file (although I thought I read somewhere that the GIT people got a hold of an open source encoder so it might not be long before we get a commandline encoder) and the biggest drawback is that this is not a free encoder since it puts a watermark on your finished file which makes it basically useless.

It does show that they're making improvements and it won't be long before a ready for prime time encoder will be released but the question is, will it be a proprietary encoder that you're forced to pay for or will there be an open source encoder, free to the masses like x264?
    Last edited by DarrellS; 16th Jul 2013 at 22:47.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    well, there is the command line (free/no watermark but very, very, very slow) TappEncoder. but the newest method of encoding hevc videos is with the Strongene Lentoid directshow filters using graphedit/studio/next/plus, (so many versions) as the front end, for testing the new hevc video format. its a bit combersome to get working and all, but at least there are solutions out there now.

plus, now we can use avs scripts to feed into the strongene lentoid encoder, so we don't have to create raw avi files anymore will post the method as soon as i write it up.

anyway. i really like the hevc encoded videos. i am very impresed with the quality i've been getting w/ the hevc encoders. even vhs looks great. see first page of this discussion for those samples. with the exception of poor vhs transfer quality, i will no longer require filtering vhs, they will go straight through the firstary conveyer belt for processing!
    Last edited by vhelp; 16th Jul 2013 at 23:58.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i believe el heggunte may have figure it out as well, but here is more details.

a short tutorial on how to setup and create a filtergraph for frameserving avisynth scripts into the Strongene Lentoid HEVC encoder.

if you are unable to serve avisynth scripts to the strongene lentoid hevc encoder in graphstudio, then it is because your filter has conflicting "mediatype" pins (ie, mediatype=MEDIATYPE_Stream) when you manually insert the avisynth script file as a filter into graphstudio. and what we have to do is induce that (ie, [video.avs]) filter to change from MEDIATYPE_Stream to MEDIATYPE_Video.

for this lesson, we will assume you are using graphstudio, and an avisynth script filename, video.avs and we want to use it as a filter, i.e., [video.avs] inside graphstudio. since even this encoder is still slow, for testing purposes, i would add a trim(0,30) statement on the last line inside the avisynth script so that you can run a quick test encode that may take anywheres from 10 seconds to a maybe 1 minute to complete so that you don't spend 4 hours waiting for nothing. you will only have to do this procedure once as long as you save it as a graph when you complete all the steps.

so lets get started

1. start up graphstudio
    2. locate your avisynth script file video.avs and drag/drop it into graphstudio.
    3. wait until it enumerates to make all necessary pin connections. once complete, you are ready to move on.
    4. note, step 3 is what we used to "induce" the change in mediatype criteria.
    5. begin removing all the connecting filters and leaving only the [video.avs] as the last filter inside graphstudio.
    6. now, go to menu\Graph\Insert Filter... and select and insert the following filters:
    [AVI Decompressor]
    [ffdshow video decoder] -- be sure you have it installed or it won't show up in the "directshow filter" list.
    [Lentoid HEVC Encoder]
    [MONOGRAM FLV]
    [file writer] -- and give it your output video.flv filename. i like to send output to my external usb2 hdd.

once you have all the filters connected and working, don't forget to save the graph. i use something simple, i.e., video.grf
    if you don't save it (or graphstudio crashes unexpectedly) you will have to start over from step 1 again.

your graph should look like this when complete

notes:
    1 - once you start running your video.grf graphs, the first thing does is create a video.flv file, zero size. once you click the run button (green triangle) it will grow.
    2 - also, you can't edit your video.avs script while the filtergraph is encoding. the changes will not reflect to the final encoded video until you close down graphstudio and restart it again. but you can make other edits to the script and feed that into virtualdub while you wait for graphstudio to finish.

that's about it for now.
    Quote Quote  
  4. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    can someone look into seeing if it is possible to mux audio with this ?
    Yes it is possible, just use the damn Monogram FLV Muxer again
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FLV-remux.png
Views:	925
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	18896  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok, so thanks to El Heggunte's method I was able to mux audio in my recent encode, but it didnt change anything for me, i couldnt open it with kmp with any sort of options changing . It played audio only. Same for MPC-HC.

I couldn't even open it with graphstudio, as it would crash upon starting graph, just to mention it's a 1080p encode ( strangely enough i played aitsu.flv no problems whatsoever in graphstudio ). graphstudio just crashes the decoder .dll
    i can still play the only-video flv in kmp and add external audio though. or opening mp3 and flv separately in mpc also works. I have to say 1080p looked impressive for me considered 46.3 mb into 13.3 mb change.

I also have hard time figuring out what the heck am i doing wrong with drag/drop avs script as it just won't show up or when i add it as source file it has no pins , well just 'out'. Thankfully feeding hevc encoder through lav filters from mkv still works for me, what i thought you could do too .

that's the muxed flv with audio
    http://speedy.sh/N9tjr/Kiniro-2.flv
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jacobr View Post
    Ok, so thanks to El Heggunte's method I was able to mux audio in my recent encode, but it didnt change anything for me, i couldnt open it with kmp with any sort of options changing . It played audio only. Same for MPC-HC.
    Make sure the modified FLVsplitter.ax (HEVC-capable) is being used --- set its merit to preferred, OR disable the FLV demuxer in LAV Splitter, for example.

Name:	Shiokaze.png
Views:	864
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	18899  

Last edited by El Heggunte; 17th Jul 2013 at 11:47. Reason: unlink
    Quote Quote  
  7. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    [ edit Edit EDIT ]
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 17th Jul 2013 at 16:48. Reason: edit :-)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the tips el's..i knew is something missing. now if i can only figure how to use dspack to put everything together into a little standalone encoding app package, drag/drop/encode/done.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @Jacobr, don't have any scripts open. don't have any .flv open----in anything, then feed the script or the .flv file into a graphstudio. same when you encode an video.flv file. close down graphstudio, completely. then reopen gs, and drag the video.avs (or whatever name you call it) into it. the rest is in the instructions above.

we are making progress.

thanks El Heggunte, now, we can encode audio/video hevc videos!!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Make sure the modified FLVsplitter.ax (HEVC-capable) is being used --- set its merit to preferred, OR disable the FLV demuxer in LAV Splitter, for example.
    Thanks for the help, that was the case.
    Now my 1080p also plays flawlessly in mpc ( not in any other thou ).
    I now also can finally open this damn avs in graphstudio, it appears i had wrong function called inside on top of issues with loading it, so thx for effort guys.

Name:	link.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	18902  

Quote Quote  
  11. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Just for the notes...

Last edited by El Heggunte; 17th Jul 2013 at 18:15.
    Quote Quote  
  12. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    More remarks:

1) my sample encode («Aitsu.flv») is NOT an example of "big bitrate saving". The settings I chose: preset SLOW, max IDR period = 24, QP = 24.

2) Still haven't found a way to remux from hevc-FLV to hevc-AVI , BUT already found it's possible to go from hevc-FLV to hevc-DSM
    (for the uninformed, DSM is a container invented by Gabest, the creator of Media Player Classic).

3) Another bug of the Lentoid Decoder: it doesn't appear on the dropdown list of the performance test applet

Name:	performance-test.png
Views:	706
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	18906  

Last edited by El Heggunte; 17th Jul 2013 at 20:55. Reason: ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    looks like i spoke too soon. i was unable to configure graphedit to encode hevc audio/video. maybe this time, i am missing an .ax file or too, or maybe the connections don't like the .avs script file and only likes the .flv file as found in the example in post # 34. so after a while it got bored lossing this battle so i channeled to a new focus and managed to get a delphi app to load in a graphedit .grf file to encode hevc (video-only) videos. so far i can start and stop the endode. not sure if this app can be useful yet. it was an experiment. but next, i want to see if the app will load in an hauppauge hdpvr .grf file and record videos. i'll give the audio/video issue another shot later, unless a suggested correction is mentioned.
    Quote Quote  
  14. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    vhelp --- is it a problem to record/encode to TWO different outputs at the same time?

I mean, I think you can use two (or even more) "file writer" filters in the same graph --- one for the video stream, and the other for the audio stream.

BTW, I also believe that some of the limitations of this sub-pre-alpha HEVC encoder are not a bug nor an accident --- the FLV multiplexer would find big difficulties in dealing with a very-fast audio encode *plus* a very-slow video encode happening at the same time
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 19th Jul 2013 at 23:16.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ot..fyi..i got the delphi app to accept the haupauge.hdpvr.grf and records video..works!!

ok, so back to discussion.

not able to get two filters working. i tried to duplicate just the first two filters, your [VF-opening.flv] -> [MPC FLV Splitter (HEVC)] but replaced your .flv file with my [video.avs] filter but connection is rejected. can't build filter any further than that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    so, a thought occured to me. since it seems there is an flv filter, and per your successfull graph demonstraction, it stands to believe that if i convert the avs audio part to flv, and feed that as an audio, it should mux with the video and audio as in your graph from post # 34. i'm just guessing at this. but i don't know of a "fastest" way to encode flv audio, assuming good quality as well. so, i guess i'll just start with ffmpeg first.

edit1: doesn't work -> ffmpeg -i video.avs -acodec copy -f flv -y audio.flv

edit2: ok, took a while, but, this seems to work -> ffmpeg -i video.avs -vn -acodec libvo_aacenc -ab 192k -ar 48000 -f flv -y audio.flv

next.. to see if this will mux during encoding to hevc.

edit3: seems to work, can encode the video, and mediainfo reports both audio/video streams. but i have to get the two stream to sync correctly. one has less frames (my fault) but will try again.
    Last edited by vhelp; 20th Jul 2013 at 00:47.
    Quote Quote  
  17. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    [........

the FLV multiplexer would find big difficulties in dealing with a very-fast audio encode *plus* a very-slow video encode happening at the same time
    NONSENSE --- and here is the proof that I was wrong

P.S.: Weird, in both WMP11 and Potplayer, Lentoid-Test-2.flv plays 100% fine, *but* in MPC-HC, the last video frame isn't shown

Name:	Lentoid-3.grf.png
Views:	574
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	18951  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    my test video is still encoding, 20 minutes (amd 2 core) and still going and still trying to prove it works, but you beat me to it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    unfortunatly, i was not able to get things to work. now the video only plays audio even though both aud/vid are detected in mediainfo. i tried many different variations. even encoded .aac audio and imported into an avs script and so both aud/vid encode (as in your example above) but to no avail, will not work. too tired to continue. will try again later tomorrow.

create the aac audio with the following:
    ffmpeg -i video.avs -vn -acodec libvo_aacenc -ab 192k -ar 48000 -y audio.aac

Code:
      v = "h:\video.avi"
      a = "h:\audio.aac"

vid = avisource( v )         
     aud = directshowsource( a )  
     audiodub(vid, aud)           

ConvertToYV12

trim(0,8) 
    # trim(0,360)
    Quote Quote  
  20. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm, in the graph from the 47th post, the Monogram AAC encoder can be replaced with Lame.ax.

The problem is, Lame.ax suxxx terribly

( only 3 sampling rates available --- 44100, 22050 and 11025, WTF )
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 20th Jul 2013 at 03:21. Reason: grammar : - /
    Quote Quote  
  21. Hi

I managed to encode the flv directly with aac audio with almost exact same method and it's working perfectly with avs, I could extract and hardsub
    exactly the part of source vid i wanted right in the script.
    The thing is one simple way of doing this worked on 1080 encode i was doing recently, but
    on the other it didn't . Here's the script working fine on my 1080 encode [basically 1 line if not undot] :
    Code:
    DirectShowSource("C...\[HorribleSubs] Kiniro Mosaic - 02 [1080p].mkv", fps=23.976, convertfps=false, audio=true)

LoadPlugin("C...\MeGUI_2308_x86\tools\avisynth_plugin\UnDot.dll")
    Undot()
    Trim(30827, 32967)
    And this is what i had to do to get things working with the other vid:
    Code:
    LoadPlugin("C...\MeGUI_2308_x86\tools\ffms\ffms2.dll")
    v = FFVideoSource("C...\[Meguca]_Puella_Magi_Madoka_Magica_-_12_[BD][h264-720p_AAC][DEAA7EFB].mkv", threads=1)
    a = DirectShowSource("C...\[Meguca]_Puella_Magi_Madoka_Magica_-_12_[BD][h264-720p_AAC][DEAA7EFB].mkv", fps=23.976, convertfps=false, audio=true).KillVideo()

audiodub(v, a)
    LoadPlugin("C...\MeGUI_2308_x86\tools\avisynth_plugin\UnDot.dll")
    Undot()

LoadPlugin("C...\MeGUI_2308_x86\tools\avisynth_plugin\VSFilter.dll")
    TextSub("C...\[Meguca]_Puella_Magi_Madoka_Magica_-_12_[BD][h264-720p_AAC][DEAA7EFB]_track3_eng.ass", 1)
    Trim(12947, 13810)
    undot, trimming and the rest weren't issues as far as i checked, plus what was going on is gray screen instead of picture showing up on the latter
    encode, despite the very same thing working earlier lol .
    Also cant play muxed flvs in smplayer which has nice pic equalizer. plays audio only.

Name:	graphedit1.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	18955  

Quote Quote  
  22. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jacobr View Post

Also cant play muxed flvs in smplayer which has nice pic equalizer. plays audio only.
    JMO, but SMplayer is only a fat and slow GUI for the real thing, which is Mplayer.exe

Anyway, the problem is, thus far neither Mplayer nor libavformat support HEVC,
    so until now it's useless to add a proper entry for the Lentoid Decoder in Mplayer's codecs.conf
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 20th Jul 2013 at 17:25.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    still not able to resolve the audio and video issue.

is it because of the audio sampling rate being too high ? or were you commenting on the weakness of lame.ax ?
    Quote Quote  
  24. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    still not able to resolve the audio and video issue.
    That really suxxx Surely there is something interfering with Avisynth and/or DirectShow on your machine, but I am unable to say more than this

is it because of the audio sampling rate being too high ? or were you commenting on the weakness of lame.ax ?
    MPEG-1 Layer 3 implies "sampling frequency = {32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz}".
    Layer 3 for MPEG-2 and MPEG-2.5 can even be compliant to the F4V/MP4 specs, but I don't want to use anything below 24kHz.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post

FLV doesn't completely support 48000Hz anyway (and most muxers (all?) won't allow it)
    Quote Quote  
  26. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post

FLV doesn't completely support 48000Hz anyway (and most muxers (all?) won't allow it)
    Thanks for the info ,

still, I believe the limitations of Lame.ax are a result from pure programmer's laziness,
    I serious doubt its creator has ever cared about the design flaws of Adobe Flash Player <= klicq
    ( which suXXX by definition, alright )
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 21st Jul 2013 at 18:48. Reason: self-correction; add link
    Quote Quote  
  27. If you guys are done with experimenting, You have BiG cash-cow golden opportunity.
    MultiCoreWare is looking for volunteers (???) for x265/HEVC development.
    I do not have much time left after drinking beers as in free.
    Quote Quote  
  28. from the "x265 Evaluation Guide 07-23-13.pdf":
    SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    Hardware: AVX capable CPU recommended
    At least 8GB of RAM
    Software: Win7/8 x86_64
    Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Update 3
    assuming this is correct -> no x265 for me , since my i7 875k doesn't support AVX.
    Quote Quote  
  29. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    [RANT]

And just for the notes, the selective counterparanoia of the headless moderator strikes again

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1638016#post1638016

[/RANT]
    Quote Quote  
  30. I serious doubt its creator has ever cared about the design flaws of Adobe Flash Player <= klicq
    I thought this was fixed with Flash Player 9
    Quote Quote