VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. One of the guides from Baldrick recommends using DVDFab (free) Decrypter. But all roads lead to a full install of version 9. Once done, no Decrypter tab is visible that I could see. (I got the one direct from DVDFab website.)

What method is used for this preparation with the MEGUI suite of freeware?
    Surely there must be something better.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can try version 8 of DVDFab HD Decrypter/DVDFab; the Tools pages for both here on VideoHelp have a link that states, "Download the old DVDFab 8 here".

The DVDFab Tools page also has an old, free version - though I doubt that's what Baldrick was using for the guide.

Edit: You can also find some older versions on this page.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. What am I supposed to see to get to Fab Decrypter? This is what confuses me. If decrypting is part of a "copy" routine, ok for that but a stand alone decrypter in any of the DVDFabs eludes me. Older versions have some icons of various combinations of disk transfer. Below that there is the format to make avi where I would use "Generic." That's about all my understanding of it.

Now, what about something not made 5 years ago? Does the Tools section have such and what is the search phrase needed?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    DVDfab and dvdfab decrypter is the same installation. But you can use the dvd copy/decryption mode for free.

I use dvdfab9. I just click Try and use the DVD Copy mode for decryption. You can only use the full disc copy mode.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dvdfab9.png
Views:	2047
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	18810  

Quote Quote  
  5. Hello again,

Thanks for clarifying that Copy performs the decryption function. This makes sense of course but I was not making the connection with what the tabs on the initial screen say. I'll give it another whirl today.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well I got an error that said can't read disk and it's just too much fooling around. Using DVDShrink ran it straight in no problem.My reason for using this method of preparation was due to similar errors I have seen reported in mkv files-- not pixellations but 'blockiness' or whatever you chose to call it where the image breaks up in playback.

I'm going to use the hello_hello method to prep as was given in one of my other threads and continue with
    Handbrake then to see if the preparation has eliminated the jaggies.

Old method tried for MKV was use MakeMKV to rip the whole disk and then bring into Handbrake to do encoding. This was bad for a number of reasons including processor heat up due to high usage. I'll see how that goes this time through.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    Well I got an error that said can't read disk and it's just too much fooling around.
    Can't say I'm surprised. I am completely and utterly baffled at how Baldrick can still use DVDFab for free for DVD decryption because myself and others have reported installing it and the trial window started immediately and within 30 days we had to pay if we still wanted to use it. Nobody has ever explained what sort of magic you have to do to get this to remain free forever. I work in IT and I've been a member here for years but I have no explanation at all for how I can't get this to work for me (and others here report the same thing) but Baldrick gets it to work for him.

Anyway, if DVDShrink worked you can also try the old DVD Decrypter. DVD Decrypter won't work on recent Disney and Sony titles that use a type of bad sector copy protection it doesn't understand, but it still works on most DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    Old method tried for MKV was use MakeMKV to rip the whole disk and then bring into Handbrake to do encoding. This was bad for a number of reasons including processor heat up due to high usage. I'll see how that goes this time through.
    Ironically, the usual goal is to achieve the highest possible CPU usage, which in turn equates to the fastest possible encoding time. Low CPU usage generally means there's a bottleneck in the process, which is sometimes unavoidable (for example CPU intensive filtering which isn't multi-threaded) but generally the idea is to make maximum use of the CPU. I don't know of any encoder GUIs which actually have a "slow down" function, but maybe someone else does. Actually VirtualDub has a "speed limit" slider but I can't say I've ever used it.

How hot was the CPU getting and how are you monitoring the CPU temperature? They can get hot when running hard. I don't have anything over the top when it comes to CPU cooling and depending on the time of year (winter or summer) and how lazy I've been when it comes to cleaning the dust out of the CPU heatsink, my CPU's operating temperature probably varies by about 25 degrees when it's running flat out. If the CPU is getting too hot though and you encode video regaularly, it'd probably pay to invest in a better CPU cooler. Not necessarily anything terribly expensive, just something a bit better than the stock cooler (assuming that's what you're running).
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have never done anything special. I just install the latest and click try.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Can't say I'm surprised. I am completely and utterly baffled at how Baldrick can still use DVDFab for free for DVD decryption because myself and others have reported installing it and the trial window started immediately and within 30 days we had to pay if we still wanted to use it. Nobody has ever explained what sort of magic you have to do to get this to remain free forever. I work in IT and I've been a member here for years but I have no explanation at all for how I can't get this to work for me (and others here report the same thing) but Baldrick gets it to work for him.
    I tried DVDFab not so long ago and quite disliked it. Maybe it's changed again but I found it a bloated mess. The free DVD decrypter didn't expire for me but if I remember correctly it was located under the DVD converter menu or the video converter menu rather than under the DVD ripper menu where I expected it to be..... or something like that.

Baldrick could no doubt correct me if I'm wrong but I do recall at the time DVDFab seemed to be blurring the line between ripping and converting.
    Quote Quote  
  11. [QUOTE=hello_hello;2253382]

How hot was the CPU getting and how are you monitoring the CPU temperature? They can get hot when running hard. I don't have anything over the top when it comes to CPU cooling and depending on the time of year (winter or summer) and how lazy I've been when it comes to cleaning the dust out of the CPU heatsink, my CPU's operating temperature probably varies by about 25 degrees when it's running flat out. If the CPU is getting too hot though and you encode video regaularly, it'd probably pay to invest in a better CPU cooler. Not necessarily anything terribly expensive, just something a bit better than the stock cooler (assuming that's what you're running).
    I will try to edit this sensibly and answer about temp.

After running DVDShrink under Reauthor in the manner described by hello_hello I loaded the Video TS into handbrake as described by Baldrick. I monitored the temperature with Speedfan 4.47. During this session the temp stayed at about 47C with a cool down temp which I noted afterward of 33C. Handbrake took what I thought to be a long time of 2 hours to do one main file of movie length. I have yet to go through the whole thing to see if any jaggies have been recorded during this procedure. It was a common occurrance when using MakeMKV and VidCoder. I prefer Vidcoder shell for Handbrake because I normally use a very low resolution with large Mr. Magoo type. I squinted through the use of the new release of Handbrake this time.

The goal is get to that 10 Bit encoding routine for very small file size.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I still use DVDfab 8 with no problems, I don't care much for the new 9 version, The odd thing is version 8 hasn't been updated since february but it still works for the new movies I buy.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by tarzan54 View Post
    I still use DVDfab 8 with no problems, I don't care much for the new 9 version, The odd thing is version 8 hasn't been updated since february but it still works for the new movies I buy.
    It will (version 8) will work with most dvds but the snag is if one uses version 8 to backup new blu-ray titles, then it may or may not work.
    Looks like DVDFab is wanting everyone to go to 9 version.
    DVDfab has become too bloated and the passkey lite doesn't do anything...

Since a few months ago, I have moved away from dvdfab, using other decrypters instead.
    They are now using online decryption instead of including it in the program.
    So it is a "phone home" program now.
    I have a version 5 and several version 8s that I will keep and use but will use other products for newer releases.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    After running DVDShrink under Reauthor in the manner described by hello_hello I loaded the Video TS into handbrake as described by Baldrick. I monitored the temperature with Speedfan 4.47. During this session the temp stayed at about 47C with a cool down temp which I noted afterward of 33C. Handbrake took what I thought to be a long time of 2 hours to do one main file of movie length.
    If 47 degrees is the temperature you're concerned about it's not necessary..... in fact it's not particularly hot. I've got a few long encoding jobs to do so I'm currently encoding with both PCs (I normally don't use this one for x264 encoding as it's too slow). This PC's been sitting between 50 and 55 degrees for the last day or so while the other one's been sitting on 45 degrees for a couple of days. For me, they're "cool" encoding temperatures though, as it's winter where I am. It wouldn't be unusual for those temperatures to increase by 20 degrees on a hot day. As a comparison, my GPU's lowest idle temperature is 45 degrees and there's a passively cooled GPU in an old PC here which idles at 60 degrees.

The temperatures you quoted seem realistic but you can't always rely on SpeedFan to be accurate. When I first installed it on this PC it thought the CPU temperature was lower than the CPU core temperature, which is pretty much impossible. You might want to try RealTemp if you have an Intel CPU (Intel CPUs don't actually report a temperature as such, they report the distance to maximum temperature). RealTemp will tell you how far off maximum core temperature you are (TJMax). In my case max core temperature is around 110 degrees. That's the temperature at which the CPU starts to slow itself down to stop itself from cooking, so they can actually get quite hot. According to RealTemp I'm currently running at 35 degrees under TJMax with CPU temperature at 55 degrees and core temperature at 65 degrees.

Two hours encoding time for a movie isn't unrealistic. Encoding speed depends a lot on the x264 speed preset/settings you use and the resolution of the video (and CPU speed). If it makes you feel any better the encodes I'm currently doing are using QTGMC de-interlacing which is very slow, and as I don't run the multithreaded version of AVISynth, QTGMC becomes a bottleneck and the quadcore CPU can't run at more than around 60%. To make up for that, if I'm using QTGMC I run two encodes at a time when I can, but it still takes a long time. I de-interlaced some of the video to 50fps progressive, so at the same encoding speed it takes twice as long to encode as de-interlacing to 25fps. If 2 hours seems like a lot, check at these encoding times using my dual core and the slow x264 speed preset. With QTGMC, it encodes at around the same speed as my quadcore, except one encode at a time is enough to keep CPU usage at 100%.

Name:  Clipboard01.jpg
Views: 2327
Size:  21.7 KB

The goal is get to that 10 Bit encoding routine for very small file size.
    Does 10 bit actually reduce the file size? I haven't done any 10 bit encoding myself, but if anything, wouldn't it actually increase it? Keep in mind too, I don't think you'd be able to use much aside from a PC to play those encodes.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 11th Jul 2013 at 09:40.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    I have yet to go through the whole thing to see if any jaggies have been recorded during this procedure. It was a common occurrance when using MakeMKV and VidCoder. I prefer Vidcoder shell for Handbrake because I normally use a very low resolution with large Mr. Magoo type. I squinted through the use of the new release of Handbrake this time.
    "Jaggies" sound like either bad de-interlacing, or no de-interlacing etc. I'm also not convinced Handbrake always de-interlaces correctly, but I could be wrong, I've not used it much myself.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    I have yet to go through the whole thing to see if any jaggies have been recorded during this procedure. It was a common occurrance when using MakeMKV and VidCoder. I prefer Vidcoder shell for Handbrake because I normally use a very low resolution with large Mr. Magoo type. I squinted through the use of the new release of Handbrake this time.
    "Jaggies" sound like either bad de-interlacing, or no de-interlacing etc. I'm also not convinced Handbrake always de-interlaces correctly, but I could be wrong, I've not used it much myself.
    I had not seen a couple of these posts and I get email notifications-- don't recall deleting any but that's why no response to the above.

All that DVDFab 'decrypt by remote control' or whatever at least explains why so little of it works for anyone beyond Platinum.

My writing here is to confirm that ol' DVDShrink with Handbrake 9.9 has given a good result with no jaggies halfway through-- will finish later but it looks clean. In other words, the Baldrick Guide for making MKV using Handbrake and those settings shown is fine. I just switched the preparation stage as described above.

--> What other Decrypters are recommended from the tools section of Videohelp?

and...

My dual core processor (from temp remarks above) is 95C max as I recall and, yes, 47 is in the safe zone. Other times using the large file that MakeMKV spits out with Handbrake would drive the temp up to where I'd shut it down rather than finish.

Other tweak that works for hot CPU's is switching out fans. I have an uncommon setup or two here. I use case fans to cool the CPU and one is from an old IBM small office computer. Those old fans move a lot of air. It's only lately that I tried switching out my quiet fans for the old higher RPM ones to keep temp down.

On 10 Bit, the P2PDL site touts it's ability to make small size but is an unfriendly site to use. They have a forum but don't answer much.

As to viewability PC monitor viewing is all the output quality needed.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm not big on high speed fans simply because I prefer quiet to cool, but I guess it's always a compromise.

I did a little googling and it seems 10 bit encoding does reduce the file size at the same quality (or even at higher quality). I'm thinking from the bit of reading I've done, the reduction is around 10% on average. I still don't understand why though, as my brain wants to assume "greater bit depth = large file size", so I'll have to do some more reading.

Someone here ran some 8 bit vs 10 bit encode comparisons (post#9). His conclusions regarding the different x264 speed presets were interesting too.

Anyway..... even though theoretically 10 bit is better, (I'm still not sure an 8 bit encode can't look virtually as good as a 10 bit encode if you use a low enough CRF value, even if it does require a larger file size), being able to play encodes on devices other than a PC is a concern for me whereas hard drive space isn't so much. I use a PC 99% of the time, but everyone else in the house uses hardware players which means at the moment if I wanted to run 10 bit encodes for myself I'd need to encode everything twice in order for others to watch them.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Maybe it added it below here: 1.75 mb bmp format
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	guidetest.bmp
Views:	391
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	18870  

Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    Maybe it added it below here: 1.75 mb bmp format

But I need it to open. I've only seen one display the image from a previous link, not one of my own uploads.
    Quote Quote