VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a 3 second sample of DV avi (about 11 megs) from a cam that didn't do well at night. Lots of grain/noise.

What would you suggest as the best approach to minimizing the noise?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0zvAZXgfLgidm1QWm9sTUVueUk/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks. Screen shot included.

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	18730
    Quote Quote  
  2. It is quite insane in this case, I apply Neat Video if needed in Vegas while editing. Profiles are created automatically just selecting some uniform rectangle in video. I'm sure Avisyth has its tricks but in this case, I choose this. You use Vegas editing clips, that's why I mention this. For DV video you can get that cheaper version, it is up to 1280x720.

In your case, if you take away noise, nothing much is left, and after you encode it, you get banding, those flickering maps of shades.
    Some sample that was made by - Vegas-Neat video - dmfs - x264 encoder:
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  3. I encoded previous sample 30p, so here is 60p sample, not really a difference but anyway:
    notice , I used same CRF and settings and file is smaller than 30p, weird
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting. I d/l'd the Neat Video demo. I've gotten some decent results not being quite as concerned with getting rid of every bit of noise.

Currently exploring FFT3DFILTER which is supposed to be great.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    No one here can work with a cropped/resized pre-processed RGB photo or a screwed-up vid mounted on another website and viewewd thru a godawful internet player. Please submit a chunk of the original, unprocessed DV.

The approach you're both taking is a complete waste of time.
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=153589
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 13:26.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    No one here can work with a cropped/resized pre-processed RGB photo or a screwed-up vid mounted on another website and viewewd thru a godawful internet player. Please submit a chunk of the original, unprocessed DV.

The approach you're both taking is a waste of time.
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=153589
    Take deep cleansing breaths. Deep cleansing breaths.

The 3 sec file I linked to *is* original, uncropped, unprocessed DV avi. That's why it's only 3 seconds. You can d/l it from the link. Apparently Google Drive provides a preview but it looks nothing like the actual file.

I provided the screen shot in case anyone didn't feel like d/l'ing the file but wanted to offer suggestions.
    Last edited by brassplyer; 7th Jul 2013 at 04:25.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Then perhaps you can learn to provide direct links instead of web pages that require users to search all over the place for the actual download link. You do know what a direct download link is, having been here for a while. A direct link usually displays a "Save As..." dialog or similar window, not a player or a page with menus purposely hidden so ads can show up all over the place. Anyone who has popup blockers or similar filters turned on will have problems displaying the page you linked to.

In any case, try the doom9 thread mentioned above for insight into problems with video that will give severe banding problems if degrainers are your main approach.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 13:27.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Then perhaps you can learn to provide direct links instead of web pages that require users to search all over the place for the actual download link.
    All over the place as in just to the left and up from the player window that the link brings you to? There isn't any more direct link. That page is it.

I would have assumed that someone who's smart enough to be savvy about video encoding and has familiarity with how things generally go on the web would recognize that the quite visible down arrow right there on the page that's linked to is the common symbol for "download" which automatically gives you a download applet.

Of course if you'd rather do it in two clicks instead of one there's also the quite visible "file" option right above.

Clearly any thought that you might say something on the order of "oh, you're right, sorry for being so cranky man" was misplaced.

Name:	Link example 1.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	18757

Name:	Link example 2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	18758
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Right. After I reconfigure my browser to show the entire page and avoid the popups, that's when I could see the "File" menu and other items. That won't happen with a direct link, which would show a "Save" or "Download" window instead of your share site's login page. I figured that popups were the problem when the other menus didn't show up, so I'm the one who took deep cleansing breaths before you did, then turned off the browser stopgaps, got your sample, and turned them back on again. If your share site doesn't offer direct links for download then of course that's not your fault -- but every sharing site I know about let's you see them instead of the usual link to player and login pages.

Whatever.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 13:27.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Well here is the script I used in MeGUI:

# Set DAR in encoder to 123 : 92. The following line is for automatic signalling
    global MeGUI_darx = 123
    global MeGUI_dary = 92
    LoadPlugin("C:\Users\ChuckD\Desktop\MeGUI_2028_x86 \tools\ffms\ffms2.dll")
    FFVideoSource("C:\Users\ChuckD\Desktop\Night noise example.avi", threads=2)
    LoadPlugin("C:\Users\ChuckD\Desktop\MeGUI_2028_x86 \tools\avisynth_plugin\TIVTC.dll")
    TFM(mode=5, PP=5, blockx=64, blocky=64, chroma=true)
    TDecimate(mode=3, hybrid=2, vfrdec=1, dupthresh=0.3, se=true, mkvout="timecodes.txt")
    crop(8, 0, -8, 0)
    #resize
    LoadPlugin("C:\Users\ChuckD\Desktop\MeGUI_2028_x86 \tools\avisynth_plugin\FluxSmooth.dll")
    FluxSmoothST(7,7) # Medium Noise
    ConvertToYV12()

I am also using x264 10bit so dunno about banding in 8-bit

here is a before and after shot @crf 16
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	before.png
Views:	250
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	18759  

Name:	after.png
Views:	290
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	18760  

Last edited by dannyboy48888; 7th Jul 2013 at 07:34. Reason: forgot to add quality level used
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Neat filter works best for me also and the results are comparable to the above with the Neat filter for VirtualDub, if you use that.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately, most of what was recorded at that low light level was a noise signal that's stronger than the video signal. I used QTGMC, TemporalDegrain, some dither plugin functions, NeatVideo, MCTD, and ColorMill. Encoded with HCenc -- I don't have h264 on the PC I had to use today.

[Attachment 18768 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 13:28.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dannyboy48888 View Post
    Well here is the script I used in MeGUI:
    Thanks. That image is about on par with what I've been able to get in Avisyth - the noise softened quite a bit but not as scrubbed as with Neat Video.

I'd read that the FFT3dfilter was supposed to be really outstanding but it doesn't really seem to be any more effective than various others.

I guess there's no beating the sampled noise approach.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    NeatVideo was a finishing touch--a final tweak, you might say. The major work was done with TemporalDegrain and MCTD. NeatVideo just smoothed it out and brought up the details.

But that shot is mostly noise. Most of the dark color present is actually red. Pump the saturation and you'll see what I mean. There are no midtones at all. Trying to brighten the mids just made noise more visible. Not the first time under-exposure captured mostly noise.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 13:28.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But that shot is mostly noise. Most of the dark color present is actually red. Pump the saturation and you'll see what I mean. There are no midtones at all. Trying to brighten the mids just made noise more visible. Not the first time under-exposure captured mostly noise.

It was my first camcorder which I got at a pawn shop. It was supposedly rated at 1 lux but it didn't do well in low light. It did really well if the lighting was good.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the trick is to not work too hard to do a sow's ear/silk purse conversion but to balance noise reduction with maintaining detail and minimizing artifacts.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    Unfortunately, most of what was recorded at that low light level was a noise signal that's stronger than the video signal. I used QTGMC, TemporalDegrain, some dither plugin functions, NeatVideo, MCTD, and ColorMill. Encoded with HCenc -- I don't have h264 on the PC I had to use today.

[Attachment 18768 - Click to enlarge]
    this is almost magic, just 10 yers back looking at CRT screen it would give unbelievable result ...
    Quote Quote