VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ok heres the scenario:

I'll be getting a device soon that doesn't have a fiber optic nor coaxial digital out only hdmi. I don't have a hdmi amp.

My hdtv does have a fiber optic out.

Will the fiber optic output send the digital signal from the hdmi from the new unit?

Or is the fiber optic out only for over the air 5.1?

I haven't used it in ages if ever so I don't remember. I think I will do some testing with my wdtv and ps3.

Fyi its about a six year old westinghouse hdtv.

ALso I'm more concerned about possible delays.

I may have alternatives for this new unit but I was wondering if this approach would work without any additional add ons.

Thanks.

------------

Fyi I have a fiber optic selector switch that I use to add multiple units to my standard def audio surround amp and it works just fine with my xbox 360, ps3 and wdtv media player when connected via fiber optic.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I got it working!

I got a ouya game console last night but it only has hdmi out no fiber optic nor coaxial digital out which my sd amp needs (no hdmi input).

However I hooked the fiber optic out from my tv to my amp and I got sound. However it was only stereo.

I was using the xbmc app for android on the ouya. It turns out I went into the audio settings and switched it to hdmi for the sound output and I believe I also had to tell it to go to digital audio instead of analog audio.

THEN I GOT 5.1!!!

I have only tested my dolby digital rips that I have on the one harddrive right now. The xbmc app supports all the way up to dtsma so as long as I can play the file I should be able to get 5.1 out of it (obviously I'll only get sd dts which is what I get from my blurays which is a-ok for me for now until whenever I upgrade my amp). This will be great!

So far as I could tell everything was in synch. Though it was a brief test of a concert video and I didn't watch too closely. I just wanted to make sure everything was going right. And the sub was working too (I have a sony amp so my blue light went on and all of the speaker icons were lit)

Yeah!
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like you have it working. S/PDIF and optical digital are exactly the same. Just different interfaces.

But you probably knew that.

I have a audio optical output from my WDTV Live. I use a inexpensive optical/digital converter: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=...seq=1&format=2

I feed this to the input of my surround sound amp that only accepts S/PDIF digital audio.

My projector has HDMI, but no audio input or output. I port all my audio over to my surround amp. I don't have a TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    My projector has HDMI, but no audio input or output. I port all my audio over to my surround amp. I don't have a TV.
    So you go directly from your playing source to your amp and bypass the audio of the projector I take it?

Anyway yes it seems to be working.

Right now I'm ripping a dvd with dts and will be doing a dts test. Hopefully the hdtv will simply pass it through and let my amp do the decoding which is dts. Assuming that works a-ok I'll be all set.

Otherwise I'll have to look for a usb to fiber optic adapter for my ouya as it doesn't have a physical fiber optic port.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote