VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I have a bunch of DV AVI files (standard definition) captured from a camcorder and sitting on an external hard drive, which I would like to play on a TV without first converting them to another format (although converting on the fly would be ok, if needed). After reading on this, I found that DV codec doesn't seem to be supported by any TVs, blueray, DVD or hardware media players in the consumer range, so I've given up on the idea of playing these directly, and now am trying to play them from a laptop to the TV. I am able to do that through HDMI cable, but have a few questions:

1) How can I do this wirelessly? Since the TV and blueray player can't decode DV, I guess this would need to be either decoded video sent from computer over wifi uncompressed, or DV converted on the fly on the computer and sent over wifi in a format that the the TV or player can decode.

2) How can I send it over HDMI or VGA interlaced, to see if the TV would do a better job deinterlacing than the computer? DV video seems to be deinterlaced by default when played in software players on the computer, and I am not sure how to disable that.

3) Is it safe to assume that HDMI will do a better job than VGA (+audio)?

Here's what I have:

- Laptop: Asus Q500A-BHI7T05 (Windows 8, Intel HD 4000 video, otherwise pretty powerful, HDMI and VGA out)

- HDTV: Panasonic TC-P50G25 (from 2010)

- Blueray player: Philips BDP3406

- No hardware media players, but I would consider buying one if needed

- No game consoles

- Wifi home network

Both the TV and the blueray player have wireless (player internally, TV through a USB adapter), but that seems to be for internet streaming from predefined sites like Netflix, and neither shows DLNA in the manual.

Thanks a bunch!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A wireless HDMI setup will cost you around $200. A laptop computer is portable, why not put the laptop next to the TV or on the floor and connect it directly with a HDMI cable? That would be the cheapest and easiest way to do it.

Since your components do not support DLNA, you can't stream over Wi-Fi to your TV or Blu-ray player.

If you don't want your laptop hooked to the TV, convert the DV files to H.264 and then store the encoded files on a USB flash drive that can be plugged into your TV or Blu-ray player.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the response.

Regrading DLNA, would the answer be different if the blueray player supported DLNA? There seem to be some that I could grab for $100 of so.

Also any thoughts on how to play/send DV video from laptop to TV interlaced via HDMI (or VGA), to compare TV and laptop deinterlacing?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by huykin View Post
    Also any thoughts on how to play/send DV video from laptop to TV interlaced via HDMI (or VGA), to compare TV and laptop deinterlacing?
    I don't think you'll have much luck with that. First you'd have to convince the laptop to output an SD TV compatible interlaced resolution (720x480i) and bottom field first. Then you'd have to convince the DV decoder not to deinterlace during playback. Otherwise what's likely to happen is the DV decoder will detinterlace (creating artifacts) then the graphics card will re-interlace (including the deinterlacing artifacts).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    why not not buy a digital media player
    many models available, mine is a sony
    connects to the tv via hdmi, usb port for external hhd etc
    plays many avi, mpg etc formats, comes with a remote control
    can connect via wifi to router ,/ internet or your home pc
    mine was $89
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    why not not buy a digital media player
    many models available, mine is a sony
    connects to the tv via hdmi, usb port for external hhd etc
    plays many avi, mpg etc formats, comes with a remote control
    can connect via wifi to router ,/ internet or your home pc
    mine was $89
    Because none of them play DV AVI.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oops... invalid choice
    back to square one
    play from laptop Or convert them
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, guys

On the wireless front, I found that my laptop supports Intel Wireless Display (WiDi), and I just need a WiDi adapter for my TV, such as one of those below, which can be had for $50-100. This should do the trick - right?

Netgear Push2TV PTV2000 1080P Adapter for Wireless Display
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SBEVSY

Belkin ScreenCast TV Adapter for Intel Wireless Display
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055R0YK4
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by huykin View Post
    Thanks, guys

On the wireless front, I found that my laptop supports Intel Wireless Display (WiDi), and I just need a WiDi adapter for my TV, such as one of those below, which can be had for $50-100. This should do the trick - right?

Netgear Push2TV PTV2000 1080P Adapter for Wireless Display
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SBEVSY

Belkin ScreenCast TV Adapter for Intel Wireless Display
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055R0YK4
    It may or may not do the trick. If you read user reviews of those products, it appears that they do not work with every laptop that has WiDi. Some reviewers specifically said they had trouble using the devices with their WiDi-equipped Windows 8 laptop.
    Quote Quote