VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried various searches on Google and Yahoo and I check the Capabilities of my Blu-ray writer drive, but I haven't been able to find anything mentioning whether my PLDS DH-8B2SH drive can burn dual-layered Blu-ray writable discs. Does anyone know about this? Imgburn doesn't have dl bd-r in their capabilities list, just bd-r and bd-r xl. I know that the drive can do bl dvd-rs, but I can't figure out if it can do dl bd-rs. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    "it's a me Mario"

(Super Mario 64)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I don't remember ever seeing a blu ray burner that couldn't write to both single and double layer discs. If they existed, I've forgotten.

This burner is relatively new though, made by Lite-on/Philips for Dell I believe. A modern drive should certainly be able to write to double layer blu ray. Be careful of your choice of media however. I'd try the Verbatim brand DL BD-R first.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I just got the pc recently, but I couldn't find any info on the drive's dual-layer burning ability. I tried several dl TDK bds (which I realize are cheap discs) and all of them failed to burn in Imgburn after @ 4-10% of the total burning process (none of them even got anywhere near the 50% spot). I bought some Verbatim dls from Amazon, but they are quite expensive (and I had to get them from a Japanese seller, so it would be quite expensive to ship them back), so I was hoping to find out about this before they arrive. Is there any diagnosis tool or program that can tell me if the drive supports dl bd-r burning? I don't know of any website that would have this type of software. Do you know any websites?
    "it's a me Mario"

(Super Mario 64)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    You could ask over at MyCE.com. There are certainly people who know the Lite-on blu ray drives better than me in that forum. Albert, cvs, 2601 and deanwitty are some of the more knowledgeable folks there when it comes to drives.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    You could ask over at MyCE.com. There are certainly people who know the Lite-on blu ray drives better than me in that forum. Albert, cvs, 2601 and deanwitty are some of the more knowledgeable folks there when it comes to drives.
    Okay, I posted a topic there too. Thanks! I'll post here once I get an answer.
    "it's a me Mario"

(Super Mario 64)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If ImgBurn doesn't list BD-R DL in the capabilities for this player then I bet it can't do it. Unfortunately for you the major manufacturers are rather infamous for providing crippled burners to customers. Dell is selling this, so yes, I think it is actually is quite possible that it can't burn BD-R DL discs and you just wasted your money. I remember maybe a couple of months ago a discussion here about some guy who thought he had bought a BD burner for his laptop but what he actually got was a CD/DVD burner that could read BD discs but not burn them. So missing capabilities happens all the time with laptops and burners sold by PC manufacturers.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    ImgBurn simply doesn't have a category in its Capabilities list for burning DL BD-R. It doesn't show up on either my LG GGW-H20L or my Pioneer 207MBK, and I know for certain that both of those drives can burn to DL BD-R dics.

So you cannot assume anything about DL BD-R by what is listed in ImgBurn.

I still say I haven't seen a single blu ray burner that cannot burn blu ray DL discs, and I doubt very much that this one will be the first.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    ImgBurn simply doesn't have a category in its Capabilities list for burning DL BD-R. It doesn't show up on either my LG GGW-H20L or my Pioneer 207MBK, and I know for certain that both of those drives can burn to DL BD-R dics.
    In that case, I'd say ignore my previous post.

Verbatim BD-R DL discs will give you the greatest chance for success. I'd advise burning them as slow as your burner allows.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is no need for a tool providing info about BD-R/E DL burning capabilities because its unlike with DVD!
    BD-R/E DL were already in the specs when BD [burners] appeared on the market. I'd say there is not one BD burner that cannot burn also BD-R/E DL media!
    With DVD all things were different: first there was DVD-RAM, then came DVD-R and then DVD-RW and DVD+RW...months later DVD+R appeared (I leave the DL variants aside now).

So, DVDinfoPro, Discinfo and even Optidrivecontrol & Nero driveinfo should be enough.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KingKRool2002 View Post
    I have tried various searches on Google and Yahoo and I check the Capabilities of my Blu-ray writer drive, but I haven't been able to find anything mentioning whether my PLDS DH-8B2SH drive can burn dual-layered Blu-ray writable discs. Does anyone know about this? Imgburn doesn't have dl bd-r in their capabilities list, just bd-r and bd-r xl....
    That drive, and all other BD rewriters, can write & read dual-layer BD-R. That it can do BD-R XL, which is multi-layer, should have tipped you off. But IMHO the problem lies not in the wretched drive but in the PC it is connected to, if that is one whose specs are on your profile. Pentium, etc? Seriously, I'd fully expect to create beautiful and expensive BD-R coasters with that, dual-layer or not.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DL is already "multi-layer".
    BD XL is either TL or QL.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote