VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am converting old baby videos onto the computer however one part of the video has always had this interference on it about 5 minutes, but if you pause the video you can make out parts of the image behind.
    I was wondering if anyone knows of any software free or purchased for either windows 7 or Mac osx that I can use to remove this from the video and make it viewable again.
    A screen shot of the current video being pause is available on the below link.
    https://sites.google.com/site/helppics/

thanks in advanced for any help everyone.
    Nick
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I saw something similar (meaning = "not exactly the same thing") in an old thread that you might look at. Unfortunately the post doesn't explain how it was done. Bummer.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/354616-Most-dramatic-restoration-vid?p=2229830&view...=1#post2229830
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 13:02.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You'll need to post a video sample for more definitive responses. The closer you can get to uncompressed video the better.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I've attached a short clip of the problem area of the video recording.

Thank you for all of your reply's so far
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yeah, that's too far gone. What is your source? Analog video tape? DV camcorder? What are you capturing with? If it's analog tape, does it look any better watching the tape on TV?

For VHS tape the way to approach it is to get an S-VHS deck with a line time base corrector and recapture the tape.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/232830-Test-of-various-VCRs-Image-Quality-from-VHS-...%28Big-Pics%29

A DVD recorder with line TBC might work too. Don't record to DVD, just pass the signal through.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/319420-Who-uses-a-DVD-recorder-as-a-line-TBC-and-what-do-you-use
    Last edited by jagabo; 3rd Jul 2013 at 17:13.
    Quote Quote  
  7. There's no evidence of head switching in the few clean frames, so I'm going to assume your original source is DV (as opposed to VHS.) You say the problem has always been there. Most probable explanation is that there were dirty heads in the camera.

If this is true, there was never really much image recorded -- digital is basically "on" or "off."

You will almost certainly be unable to recover this recording -- and absolutely not from this capture. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

edit: You may want to do some frame grabs of the good parts so you at least have the stills.
    Last edited by smrpix; 3rd Jul 2013 at 11:29.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thank you for all of your reply's and help, the original source is a VHS and it was recorded on I'm told one of the first early video recorders in 1990 / 1991.

I have currently transferred it to the computer through a lead pluged into a USB and the back of a VHS player, using MAGIX -Rescue your video tapes 6.

I am prepared to do anything to save this video as we only have this one as my parents were forced to sell it not long after filming this. So if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know but I will be trying what has already been suggested, so thank you very much
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by sloNick View Post
    the original source is a VHS
    That's good news anyway. In that case, follow jagabo's earlier suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The distortions in the picture don't look like normal video capture problems. I suspect small timing or tracking problems on the tape are falsely triggering the Macrovision response circuit in your capture device. Especially since there's little problem with the audio track.

You didn't answer the question about how the tape looks if you view it directly from the VHS deck plugged into a TV. I suspect you will only see minor glitches. Assuming this...

I would first try a different VCR (borrow one from a friend or relative). Then a different capture device -- especially one that's known not to respond to Macrovision.
    Last edited by jagabo; 3rd Jul 2013 at 20:05.
    Quote Quote