VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Washington DC
    Search Comp PM
    Title pretty much says it all. I'm capturing from a Sony camcorder, on a Sabrent USB-AVCPT to a Seagate expansion drive, via VirtualDub 1.9.11. The only modifications to the settings I have made are that I'm capturing in Lagarith Lossless, and I have it set to automatically stop capture. Other than this everything is default.

    The video will start relatively in sync, then slowly but surely desync somewhere around the halfway point, eventually reaching an obvious desync by the end. The desync is such that the audio is behind the video. Someone opens their mouth, but no sound is heard 'til midway or after they've spoken.

    I've attempted capture using the "Sync video to audio adjusting video timing" option, doing the same with the "auto disable resync" box checked, and also having tried "Sync Audio to Video by resampling etc," all to no avail. I know I haven't exactly exhausted all of my options, but that's about all I could figure out on my own...

    The good news is that by reloading and resaving the file after checking "Change so video and audio durations match" option in "Framerate" does seem to eliminate the problem, or reduce it to an extremely unnoticeable, tolerable desync, leaving almost all of the video synchronized. However, I would prefer to actually fix the issue in capture, at its source, rather than let it come out poor and just fix it afterward. I feel like this is a "dirty" way of fixing the issue that may be leaving other issues unattended to that I don't know about...and it's my understanding that having to run it through Lagarith Compression twice is not good for "master copies."

    Any ideas? Off topic, but perhaps related, when I had previously been recording in Ulead VideoStudio, the opposite desync would occur - audio would be ahead of video.

    Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Washington DC
    Search Comp PM
    Anybody got any ideas? Sorry to prod - I just need to know if anyone has any remedy for the issue other than the post-capture fix.

    If compressing it in Lagarith again (when it is already captured in lag compression) by loading and saving AVI and adjusting the audio/video durations will not in any way affect the video's quality, then I can just proceed with that, but until then I have put the project on hold.

    Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Washington DC
    Search Comp PM
    Final bump before I just move on with the known fix - thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member vhelp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New York
    Search Comp PM
    i'm stumpped as to why you're having this problem on an i7 machine. i would suggest capturing 1/2 hour segments, using huffy codec since it is the least cpu intensive during capturing. make sure your usb is usb2 and not bumping down to usb1 since connecting some items can do that. i am speaking from a windows xp perspective. i've capture from a way underpowered intel atom single core netbook w/out frame drops to an external usb2 1tb hdd. also, make sure you are not dropping frames.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Washington DC
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    i'm stumpped as to why you're having this problem on an i7 machine. i would suggest capturing 1/2 hour segments, using huffy codec since it is the least cpu intensive during capturing. make sure your usb is usb2 and not bumping down to usb1 since connecting some items can do that. i am speaking from a windows xp perspective. i've capture from a way underpowered intel atom single core netbook w/out frame drops to an external usb2 1tb hdd. also, make sure you are not dropping frames.
    My frames dropped is never more than like, 20 or so, over the whole length of the video. It only drops when the millisecond delay reaches 18 or so, and then the VT adjust thing changes. I don't believe it's a framerate issue, but rather some sort of other setting that needs tweaking...unfortunately, my experimentation remedied nothing and I can't think of anything else, other than buying a pricy capture card.

    edit: The video length is about an hour on average, so the frames dropped is clearly very few
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads