VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can someone here please provide me with a list of old or current dvd players that are macrovision free? Brands and model numbers please. No internal or external modding please. I will presume that the original remote will be missing. reeltoreelguy@gmail.com.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    A player that's macrovision free? Or do you you mean a DVD recorder?

Might be a good idea to tell us what problems you're having and what you want to do.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 13:04.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    As far as I know there are no longer any players that can turn Macrovision off. Period.

Back in the first half of the 2000s a very small number of China made players like Apex and other brands I can't remember any more had hacked firmware available that allowed you to turn off Macrovision. It's pretty darn useless now because the only thing it was really useful for was trying to record DVDs to VHS tape. Does anybody REALLY want to do that anymore? Yes, I know that some weak minded people used to connect the video output to DVD recorders and record DVDs this way, but wouldn't you really rather make an exact copy by ripping? You can rip and burn quicker than you can do that nonsense. Please spare me the old "But my TV sucks and Macrovision screws it up" stuff. Time to get a new TV if that's the case.

So no, likely nobody here can provide you a list of any models that used to do this because it's the most useless feature ever and nobody but you cares any more about having it. Now having said that, if there is some weird model somewhere in the world that can turn off Macrovision, someone will surely post to show me up. So if nobody posts any examples to the contrary, then nobody makes this any more.

By the way there have NEVER been Macrovision free players. There have been players that could turn it off via hacked firmware, but NOBODY made a player that didn't have it. Doing so would have been a DVD license violation and those things do get checked.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I own a number of PAL format tv series dvds. Some North American HDTVs are PAL-compatible over HDMI, but some aren't. Sometimes I don't want to use my PAL>NTSC converting player, and would prefer one of my standard dvd or bd players. So, I can think of one remaining use for an MV-free DVD player (if it can do PAL>NTSC conversions). It is much easier to convert in the analog realm as a DVD player > recorder dub, as opposed to doing it in software on the PC. Many PAL format TV dvds do have MV, which requires a trip thru the PC anyway to strip the MV and allow the NTSC conversion to be made from the ripped PAL version. I find the rip-to-remove-MV step annoying: it would be much easier if the MV could just be ignored by the DVD player hardware and the shows converted directly off the original (purchased) DVD.

Such players have probably been mfrd, but as jman98 said they were flimsy, now discontinued, and likely require a firmware hack. The only player I've ever owned with easy, no-fuss bypass of both MV and region coding is my early Sony DVP-S7000 (which uses simple on/off bypass switches accessible under the top cover). Unfortunately, the DVP-S7000 is first-generation Sony dvd hardware circa 1997, so it can't convert from PAL to NTSC, and it has a hard time reading many dual-layer discs.
    Last edited by orsetto; 2nd Jul 2013 at 17:40.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    A player that's macrovision free? Or do you you mean a DVD recorder?

Might be a good idea to tell us what problems you're having and what you want to do.
    Do you think the OP will come back to answer ?

This other topic of his, somewhat similar, may explain

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/356873-digital-video-stabilizer-boxes?p=2249248#post2249248

and he did not reply to this one either.

Seems he expects replies to his mailbox. Possibly busy deleting the spam he would get by publically showing an email addr in an open forum.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Seems he expects replies to his mailbox. Possibly busy deleting the spam he would get by publically showing an email addr in an open forum.
    That's his choice, but my personal policy is that I don't do personal emails. You post here, you get a reply here.

Some years ago I was on another video forum in the early 2000s specific to making VCDs although SVCD talk was OK too. The forum required you to put an email address in your posts. I got a lot of help making SVCDs from a guy there, so I used to pass it on and I would help other newbies to get started just like I got help to get started. Well, I started getting emails every so often from Indian guys who read my posts and their posts always asked me to do crazy things like "I read the guide you linked to but I don't understand it, so I want you to write me a new step by step guide telling me how to do it". You can imagine how unhappy I was with such requests. I started using a non-existent email address on the site, but I still continued to get the occasional email out of the blue from some guy who found an old post with my true email address and this guy wanted personal help. So since then I no longer do personal emails on forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And he now starts another thread.
    Quote Quote