VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I noticed a site that has been hotlinking my videos, even though my server has secure_link module installed that generate expiry time stamp and MD5 hash. I also notice that site hotlinks videos from Sapo, even though they also use a cache system. How are they doing this ? and how do i stop them ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Are you familiar with 'htaccess'? Use that to stop hotlinking.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I don't have htaccess as I use Nginx to serve the videos. I did do a HTTP valid referrer anti-hotlink with Nginx. However, that method is not very efficient as most of the popular browsers used today such as Firefox or IE don't often send a referrer header, and especially more shaky when it comes to flash. So far, I only managed to get the hotlink-protection to work on chrome and maybe safari, but not on firefox or IE.
    Quote Quote  
  4. htaccess is server side software (it's not located on your computer) so it works with any browser. If your server is a unix server then it is installed by default. If windows server then it can be added by your host.

I once had a guy in Germany that was hotlinking to one of my videos and stealing my bandwidth. I just changed the link to go to a photo that said "This Video Was Stolen" and made another link for the original video. That seemed to work as that guy was too lazy to hunt out the new link. Now I just post my vids on Vimeo and anyone can watch them without using my bandwidth.

But using htaccess is much better as it stops the hotlinking cold. There are tutorials on the web on how to stop hotlinking with htaccess.
    Last edited by TreeTops; 3rd Jul 2013 at 09:24.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    TreeTops: The nginx web server doesn't use htaccess(apache web server).

Maybe you should try find a nginx forum.
    Quote Quote  
  6. OK Baldrick, I see nginx web servers don't use htaccess. Maybe their forum will have the answer. They should have a secure way to stop hotlinking that works for jdinh0608.
    Quote Quote  
  7. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bjs View Post
    Thanks for the URL. And oh BTW, one of the big problems in nginx is exactly the half-assed documentation, which BTW is not available in the downloaded bundle Indeed, forcing the user to look for basic help on the Web is a braindead idea.
    Quote Quote