VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello. So last night, I just performed my first VHS to digital transfer! But I have a couple of questions. What you should know is that my VCR is outputting to my JVC GR-DVL915U camcorder.

1. Can anyone help me get my Mac to recognize my JVC GR-DVL915U???? This is extremely frustrating. I have connected this unit to 2 separate Mac's (both of them very new, OS X 10.7). I have used a FireWire 800 cable, as well as a Thunderbolt cable (the Thunderbolt is an adapter that clips onto the FireWire 800). Neither of the 2 Apple computers can "see" this camcorder, let alone the following 3 programs: iMovie 11, Quick Time Pro 7, Final Cut Pro X. My "System Information" does not indicate that a FireWire device is connected. It's not just the programs that don't see this thing, it's the computer itself!

2. Assuming I can eventually get my Mac to see this camcorder, does the JVC GR-DVL915U camcorder have a pass-thru function? I used Mini DV tapes to capture. I would prefer passing-thru, so that the video signal goes through the camcorder, without being recorded onto tape, and is then directly captured via iMovie or Final Cut Pro. I don't know if it is my imagination, but I'm afraid that the Mini DV downgrades the quality.

3. Assuming I cannot get Apple to "see" this camcorder, is there a Windows 7 program that can capture the footage just as good as a Mac? My concern is quality. (I don't know yet if Windows will "see" this camera.)

Help is much appreciated. Thanks!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Like many new members, you have made a mistake in not realizing that your main problem is really a Mac issue. You need Mac specific help first to make progress on your problem. I will ask a moderator to move this as if one of our Mac experts can help you to get your camera recognized, that should solve the other issues or get you closer to doing so.

Note that Windows laptops do NOT come with firewire ports any more and trying to do this over USB never works under Windows. If you have access to a Windows PC tower where you can add a firewire card or there is an already existing firewire connector on the motherboard, then you'd have a shot, but if you are only dealing with laptops then you can forget this.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jgiannis View Post
    Thunderbolt is an adapter that clips onto the FireWire 800
    This is your issue. The camera (any camera) has to be connected directly with FW400 with no intervening devices. Apple has determined that FW400 is obsolete and so does not provide the ports on newer macs. You'll have to find a (way) older mac or a PC to do your transfer.

On a PC the old program WinDV is excellent for capturing DV video.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi. Thanks for the replies. I am actually using Windows 7 via Bootcamp on my MBP, so I do have the FireWire 800 and Thunderbolt ports that way. I've tried using both ports (as adapters on a FireWire 400 cable) on both operating systems, Windows 7 and OS X. No dice!

Luckily, my friend has one of those older MBPs with the FireWire 400 port. I will give it a try this weekend. I suppose it's also possible that the FireWire port on the camcorder is dead.

I was hoping that there was someone else here with this camera who could confirm whether or not a newer Mac with FireWire 800 should be able to see this thing.

Thanks!

-John
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You would likely get more responses in our Mac Forum. Moving you.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote