VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello guys , I'm new to these movies tech thingy . So here goes : I recently bought a ext hdd , and i'm using it to store 3d movies(they have subs in them , if i try to play in vlc they show up) and now the problem is when i connect the ext hdd to my Tv it will play the movie but i can't get the subs to show. Can i get a little help on this?. i've tried googled already the only thing i found was something with "hard sub" but i really didn't managed to do it.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hard subtitles are part of a picture, they are 'pasted' and if picture is shown, then they are as well. External subtitles are subtitles in .srt, .sub format and they are separate file from a video file. In order to play them correctly you have to name file with the same name as video file. Now, which tv you have? It all depends on the models, series.
    his is what I do now, i hope it works for you guys.

download mkvmergeGUI v6.20 (MKVToolNix).

find the normal (2d) .srt for your mkv. (again you might have to adjust delay timing, but that can easily be done work subtitleworkshop or mkvmergeGUI or from a-400 subtitle menu).

launch mkvmergergui. (mmg.exe)

now add your 3d movie mkv into mkvmergergui 6.20
    now add in the 2d normal .srt

now important parts.

in the track window:

1) highlight the video track.
    now click on the tab below "format specific options"
    see the stereoscopy selection, make sure it matches what the 3d movie .mkv format is. eg. side by side left first or top bottom left first, etc.

2) highlight the srt track.
    now make sure you set your .srt to its language
    default track YES
    Force track YES (again yes, since most of the time its foreign language audio and subtitle srt are different language). This will automatically start using the srt instead of you manually selecting it with the remote.

after you have selected that, now start muxing.

what this has resulted in the following for me when i use the a-400 with the LG LX6500 series 3d tv.

i dont have to manaully select by tv remote which 3d format its in, the tv will automatically put itself into 3d mode (that stereoscopy format you selected from above).

the subtitles are automatically on the 3d screen just like a regular 2d movie. properly positioned by the bottom.

you can even still manipulate the subtitles as to change the color from auto to another color, change front size and reposition them if you want with the remote.

also now when i hit info on a-400 remote for example, the movie information overlay screen is properly overlay-ed on the 3d movie video as if i am watching a regular 2d movie. no stretched across the screen. same result for both OU (3DTAB, top and bottom split) and SBS (3DSBS, side by side split).

now I don't have to play with converting subtitles to the 3d format.

to sum it up, the tv detected which 3d mode it should be in from the mkv header (stereoscopy setting) and the a-400 is playing it like a normal video, so the subtitles can be a normal 2d srt file and a-400 info overlay screen is properly positioned and shown on the tv.

ps: i am using a DLNA (twonymedia server) so i put my subtitles into the .mkv, i havent tried yet, doing seperate files 3d .mkv and 2d normal .srt (browsing to it) but i think the main part is setting the stereoscopy. I havent tried other 2d subtitle formats just srt. my two cents.
    Quote Quote