VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am getting all the electronics ready for my new classes that I will be teaching. I am dealing with a consultant about equipment and one of the items he wants to sell me is the Panasonic AG-HMC40 HD. Is there a better camera for the price point of this camera? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hard to say without knowing the price. it's a 4 year old cam, and there are lots of newer ones at that level. maybe if he's selling for under $1500.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, actually $1850 brand new. Do you have any suggestions to take its place?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have an AG-HMC40 and like it a lot, three chips, sharp picture, pro adjustments, manual controls; but I agree, itīs an "old" model. Does the one they sell include the XLR microphone adapter? (if you buy it separately itīs like $300..I never bought it because I already had a Beachtek adapter that suits me just fine), B&H sells the camera and includes the adapter for $ 1799 US dollars
    The successor to the HMC40 is the AG-AC90:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/893072-REG/Panasonic_agac90pj_AG_AC90_AVCCAM_Han...Camcorder.html
    which has several features the HMC lacked like the already mentioned XLR adapter built in (with 48v phantom power, selectable mic/line, etc), dual memory card slots, 1080/60p and SD (480i) recording and better low light performance.
    Other alternatives around that price point could be these:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749467-REG/Canon_4922B002_XA10_HD_Professional_Camcorder.html
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/853433-REG/Sony_HXR_NX30_HD_Compact_Camcorder.html
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/745707-REG/Sony_HXR_MC2000U_HXR_MC2000U_Shoulder...unt_AVCHD.html
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/821133-REG/JVC_GY_HM150U_GY_HM150U_ProHD_Handheld_Memory.html
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will check to see if it does have the adapter. If not, I wonder what I should do? My hands are kind of tied. I live in a small town. The guy I have to do business with is about 4 hours away. I know I can do business online for this and be cheaper but if I want service that makes it a little harder. I do like the other choices of cameras though. Is any one of those supposed to be better than the other? Thanks for the feedback guys. It sure helps.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As I talked to the guy, he mentioned that I can buy my cameras from any place I want to as he does not make hardly anything on them. He told me to not feel bad if I did. I did buy a Tricaster from him for a good price which is the reason why he was recommending this specific camera. He will consult with me on what I need etc. to make sure I have everything I need. The Tricaster has component outputs that run into the Tricaster. So any camera that has HDMI makes it more difficult to connect to the Tricaster unless someone has some better ideas and are familiar with a Tricaster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ok, so he told you you could buy somwhere else..but if you buy with him, itīd have to be the HMC40?, does he have it "on hand" or would he order it from someone else?, if you kinda feel that you are stuck with him or at least prefer to buy from him, ask him about the adapter, like I said, if you have to buy it separately, itīs about 300 dollars and if you have seen pictures of the camera with the adapter on and a short shotgun microphone attached to it, well, that mike is another 200 extra dollars as itīs not part of the adapter itself. Of course you can do without the adapter and shotgun microphone but depending on how you use the camera and how you deal with the soundī, a directional microphone even if itīs mounted on the camcorder will be a great improvement over the one built in, which is not really that bad but is terribly located (flush on top of the camera body, you keep picking up the sound of your hand and fingers manipulatin the camera buttons), by the way, the HMC40 has component output as well as HDMI
    Last edited by julitomg; 28th Jun 2013 at 15:18.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The new model agac90 is only 1739 at bhphoto, a better value by far
    --
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, he does offer other camcorders. He just said it was one he thought of and only because it had a component out instead of an HDMI out. He thought it would be an easier transition from camera to Tricaster instead of having to get a converter box is all. He did say there are other brands out there.
    As for the ac90 it has an HDMI out so I would need and adapter. I am not sure what kind as he did not tell me any of that, he just said some need adapters and they are kind of a pain. I don't know because I have never used one before.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But, he did say he did not care where I bought my cameras from as he does not make much money on those anyway. He makes most of his money selling the different levels of Tricasters is what he said.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will be looking for some cameras this week but I have another question because you guys sound very knowledgeable. I am needing a couple teleprompters also. What do you recommend? A tripod to hold the cam and the teleprompter also. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    No, he does offer other camcorders. He just said it was one he thought of and only because it had a component out instead of an HDMI out. He thought it would be an easier transition from camera to Tricaster instead of having to get a converter box is all. He did say there are other brands out there.
    As for the ac90 it has an HDMI out so I would need and adapter. I am not sure what kind as he did not tell me any of that, he just said some need adapters and they are kind of a pain. I don't know because I have never used one before.
    I hadnīt noticed that the AC90 doesnīt have composite output, itīs still a good deal even if you add an adapter like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/770115-REG/KanexPro_HDRGBRL_HDMI_to_Component_Converter.html

I have another question because you guys sound very knowledgeable. I am needing a couple teleprompters also. What do you recommend? A tripod to hold the cam and the teleprompter also.
    I couldnīt really advise regarding teleprompters (prices, goos brands, reliability, service, etc) but other around here might.
    Youīll need a sturdier tripod indeed, a good point to start is here:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Tripod-Systems/ci/3909/N/4028759224
    But you need to know how much more weight does the teleprompter add (and still calculate some overhead), Manfrotto is a good brand with a wide range of products and reasonable prices, Sachtler, Cartoni, Miller, OīConnor and Vinten are excellent but pricier.
    And now that we are mentioning tripods, this is a little gem of an accesory, I have it and couldnīt be happier, worth every penny:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/361366-REG/Libec_ZC_3DV.html
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wonder where I could go to get some advice on teleprompters? As for the little gadget from B&H, what do you use something like this for?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    I wonder where I could go to get some advice on teleprompters? As for the little gadget from B&H, what do you use something like this for?
    When using a camcorder on a tripod, many times the "natural" position is to hold the tripodīs handle with your right hand, and to use the left to zoom, focus or other adustments during the recording. But I found that many times Iīd also wanted to do a combinatin of tllt/panning AND zooming..AND adjusting focus..in that case I had to lean over the camera so I coudl turn the focus ring with my left hand, my right handīs fingertips on the zoom rocker and had to use my upper torso to pan and tilt, very awkward. But with this zoom controller I can keep my right hand where itīs supposed to be the whole time and zoom with a slight movement of my thumb. Itīs a night and day difference, believe me. Thatīs why professional studio cameras have such controls (not only for zooming but also to do focus with the other hand, have you noticed those cameras have usually two handles?, not only the panning and tilting movements are easier and super smooth but also make focus and zooming adjustments is a breeze) I should know because Iīve been operating video cameras for the last 23 years.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, that makes sense. Does anyone know if there is a forum online that would be a good place to go to find someone that would have experience with things like teleprompters and tripods?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, I have been doing some thinking. The cameras I am buying right now will be used in the a studio for broadcasts and with a teleprompter. The mic will be a lavalier one that will be directly connected to an audio mixer. Would an adapter be necessary for the Panasonic? I found this one for this price. Tell me what you think.
    http://www.rythercamera.com/catalog/product_info.php?csv=gg&products_id=29142&gclid=CM...FVJo7AodFmAACg
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you might not like what happens if you order from that website, it's mostly grey market or phoney non-existent "out-of-stock" pricing.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/ryther-camera-linden
    --
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    The mic will be a lavalier one that will be directly connected to an audio mixer. Would an adapter be necessary for the Panasonic?
    Thanks.
    Didnīt you mention that youīd feed the Tricaster with the camerasīoutput?, wonīt you feed the tricaster directly with the mixerīs output? But if you need to connect the mixer to the camcorder, yes youīll need an adapter (either the Panasonic one or a Beachtek or equivalent)
    Last edited by julitomg; 6th Jul 2013 at 10:54.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, I see what you are saying. Now then, the price of that on B&H for the 40 is about the same as the 90 you listed above. What does the 40 have that the 90 does not. The price on the 90 is about the same as the 40.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think after doing a some looking I am going to go with the Canon XA10. Sound good?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now I just have to find a teleprompter. Anyone know of any good ones that won't break the bank.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    Okay, I see what you are saying. Now then, the price of that on B&H for the 40 is about the same as the 90 you listed above. What does the 40 have that the 90 does not. The price on the 90 is about the same as the 40.
    If the price is about the same, you should probably go for the AC90 as itīs a newer model with several improvements both in performance/image quality as well as in design/features, unless the component output is really an important consideration (witch youīve already made clear it is), of course you always can use an adapter. But even if you decide to go for the HMC40, I can really tell you itīs a great camera, altough itīs not the best in low light enviroments but from what you tell us, youīll probably use it with adequate lightning (since your set up seem very "studio" oriented)

think after doing a some looking I am going to go with the Canon XA10. Sound good?
    Yes, it also sounds pretty good, as a matter of fact itīs the model I had also considering when I bought my HMC40 last year, I came very close to purchasing it but found a good deal for the Panasonic (and already had several accesories that would fit right in to it like the already mentioned Beachtek adapter, wide angle adapter and UV filter, that are not tha easy to find given the 43 mm size, here I also should mention that the AC90 has a 49 mm filter thread so itīs a lot easier to find filters for it) The Canon camcorder has only one CMOS image sensor but itīs bigger than the Panasonicīs, it (the Canon) also has component output, twin card slots and as usual with Canon, great lens and image quality (you can even connect the zoom control I recomended for the Panasonics)

Now I just have to find a teleprompter. Anyone know of any good ones that won't break the bank.
    Like I said, I dontīhave a lot of experience with teleprompters but hereīs good place to start if you havenīt checked it yet:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Teleprompters/ci/2122/N/4028759394

And for a tripod, something like these:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/855734-REG/Autocue_QTV_CS_HWT_001_Heavy_Weight_V...eo_Tripod.html
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/861078-REG/Libec_LX7_LX7_Tripod_With_Pan.html
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/683563-REG/Manfrotto_504HD_546BK_504HD_Head_w_54...B_2_Stage.html
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/901963-REG/acebil_p_32m_1dv_p_32m_tripod_package.html

(but a I suggest you do a more detailed search after you decide witch camcorder and teleprompter combination youīll probably get so you can calculate the combined weight)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    I am getting all the electronics ready for my new classes that I will be teaching. I am dealing with a consultant about equipment and one of the items he wants to sell me is the Panasonic AG-HMC40 HD. Is there a better camera for the price point of this camera? Thanks.
    Hey Ing, looks like you hit on a goldmine over there in prairieville.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wish. Then I wouldn't have to be worrying about cost.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wish. Then I wouldn't have to be worrying about cost.
    Those cameras should be cheaper, everything's going 4K now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think after doing a some looking I am going to go with the Canon XA10. Sound good?
    Whatever you get, you need to be able to shoot 1080p60. The XA10 doesn't do it. Neither do any of the current Canon models.

Not until the G30 comes out. Or is it out now?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What should I get then Mr. Smarty Pants?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What should I get then Mr. Smarty Pants?
    A camcorder that shoots 1080p60, like I said above. The brand name makes no difference, so long as it's a major brand, not a Yamashita.

And it should shoot AVCHD 1080p60. That's the latest codec for BluRay. So you may have to go with Sony or Panasonic.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No budwzr, now that you got me going, I need some suggestions. You're not getting off the hook that easy. Throw some at me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No budwzr, now that you got me going, I need some suggestions. You're not getting off the hook that easy. Throw some at me.
    Go to the respective websites and see for yourself, you're getting paid, not me. If you're going to shoot football action, you need a high frame rate to do slomo.
    Quote Quote