VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looking for one internal IDE/EIDE DVD writer and one SATA DVD writer that 'just works' with Linux, and both must be on the 'Dangerous Brothers' list:
    http://tdb.rpc1.org/
    as I need writers to be 'all-regions'. Anyone know of models that conform to these two requirements, please let me know.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You don't truly NEED "all region". If you use VLC for playback it never checks region codes. NEVER. It's getting harder and harder to find cracked firmware. You'd really be better off to just use VLC and forget about making the cracked firmware a requirement.

Pioneer burners have served me well over the years but I just looked at Newegg.com and they don't have any Pioneer DVD burners. I guess if I had to use something else, I'd go with LiteOn. Not a big fan of LG burners but they're not horrible. I really don't recommend Sony Optiarc at all. If nobody replies with model numbers, just cross reference what Newegg has with that Dangerous Brothers list if you must.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    For playback yeah, but seeing as the OP just stated "BURNERS" WTF knows what he is talking about!!!

as I need writers to be 'all-regions'
    For what ?
    Making a guess it would be for playback as jman98 did, it does not matter....

Maybe an extra sentence saying what your actual goal or requirement is.

Burning, ripping, reading/playing ??
    If you think you need or there is such a thing as a region free "burner" you obviously do not understand any of these processes.....
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I'm not a Lite-on fan in the slightest.

And I'd recommend the Sony Optiarc 5280S as one of the few decent dvd burners still around. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118073 It is much more expensive because there is a demand for some of its unique features. It can overburn DL media (for Xbox 360 backups) and its tray ejects slightly farther and so it is popular for use in duplicators. Liggy and Dee have custom firmware for this model: http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/Optiarc-AD-5280S/

But good luck finding an IDE/PATA drive for sale at retail anymore. If I had to have one, I'd look on ebay for an Optiarc 7200A. It and the SATA version, the 7200S are considered some of the best dvd burners ever produced.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    You don't truly NEED "all region". If you use VLC for playback it never checks region codes. NEVER. It's getting harder and harder to find cracked firmware. You'd really be better off to just use VLC and forget about making the cracked firmware a requirement.

Pioneer burners have served me well over the years but I just looked at Newegg.com and they don't have any Pioneer DVD burners. I guess if I had to use something else, I'd go with LiteOn. Not a big fan of LG burners but they're not horrible. I really don't recommend Sony Optiarc at all. If nobody replies with model numbers, just cross reference what Newegg has with that Dangerous Brothers list if you must.
    Thank for the tips. I'm aware of VLC. Just looking to have more than one option. As I'm doing a legacy build, I have never come to rely on Newegg, TigerDirect, etc., for obvious reason. I focus more on sources that stock older components, so if a particular legacy component is available anywhere, I can likely get it, although I'll admit the Asrock motherboards continue to elude me! Anyway finding a component is not the problem. I need a brand/model number from the 'Dangerous Brothers' list that is known to 'just work' with Linux, so I can track one down.
    Quote Quote