VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have the Core i7 2700K which is an 8 core CPU. I get around 13-14 FPS encoding speed with McTemporalDenoise on Medium. Does anybody have any idea how much faster a 12 core CPU would be such as the i7-3930K? I'm looking for the most cores at the cheapest price.
    Quote Quote  
  2. First Core i7 2700K is 4 core CPU, 8 Threads: http://ark.intel.com/products/61275/
    and i7-3930K is 6 core CPU, 12 Threads: http://ark.intel.com/products/63697

Threads is: A Thread, or thread of execution, is a software term for the basic ordered sequence of
    instructions that can be passed through or processed by a single CPU core.

From www.cpubenchmark.net the i7-3930K on CPU Mark score 15-20% faster than Core i7 2700K

So I guessing around 19-22 FPS
    Last edited by roma_turok; 23rd Jun 2013 at 09:21.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    in well threaded workloads, speed will scale linearly with cores, so at the same clock speeds and same turbo settings the 3930k would be about 1.5 times as fast as the 2700k.

having said that, the 3930k is a poor buy right now, it's based on the SB architecture and the IB 6 cores will be out soon.

also, haswell does really well under heavily threaded workloads thanks to tsx and avx2/

but, i don't think McTemporalDenoise is all that well threaded, so i think you would be disappointing with an upgrade.

perhaps you should consider neat video which is now gpu accelerated.
    Quote Quote  
  4. McTemporalDenoise() works with the multithreaded AviSynth and SetMtMode(5) and scales well with the number of cores.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks guys. I know it's a 6 core but it's seen by the PC as a 12 core!

Deadrats - if the 3930K isn't a good buy then what's better? I've seen an AMD 12 core but it's far slower.

What do you mean the Ivy Bridge 6 cores will be out soon - what's replacing it and when?

What Jagabo said is correct so I'll go with the 3930K unless there's something better available just now or soon?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Sandy Bridge (3930K) is two generations old. Ivy Bridges is newer but there's no 6 core version. Some are expected in the fall. They will probably replace the Sandy Bridge equivalents. Haswell is the latest but there is no 6 core version at this time. An 8 core (16 thread) Haswell is coming next year. No idea about the pricing. So the Sandy Bridge generation is your only choice right now.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    there's something else to consider, you have a 2700k, that's a pretty good overclocker (depending on the board you have), perhaps you could spend 50 or so bucks on a nice cooler and overclock your cpu.

the cheapest price for the 3930k right now is at microcenter for $500, consider that you will need a new motherboard at about $150, to me it's not a good purchase just for one filter, but hey it's your dough.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I want a new motherboard anyway as the Asus P8z77-v Pro motherboard I have is complete crap. I can't plug several USB hard drives in at once for example without some disconnecting. Another problem is that my encodings for some apparent reason after about 1 month of working fine decide to encode at 2 FPS slower than normal or worse at half speed. I have to reinstall the motherboard firmware to get it working properly again. So I don't think I'll be getting an Asus motherboard again.

Even when the encoding are working properly I'm getting 12-14 Fps which isn't as fast as I'd like. I've already overclocked to 4.4 Ghz on my 2700K and I use a Noctua D14-2011 air cooler which has a huge heatsink and 2 fans. I tried using a water cooler but even after following the instructions that damn thing didn't work at all - it didn't cool at all so I had to return it for a refund so I'll stay away from water coolers.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    not to be a wet blanket, but if the 12-14 fps is at the overclocked speed of 4.4 ghz then the 3930k at stock speeds won't be 50% faster, you will to overclock it to 4.4 ghz as well to get 18-21 fps, which is still not real time.

you seriously need to find better software, as i already said look into neat video with a good video card.

http://www.neatvideo.com/
    Quote Quote  
  10. I might try Neat if future but I don't really feel like learning a brand new program just now. Plus I thought Neat video was slow. How much faster would Neat video be? Are there any good tutorials?

I saw a video of Neat which seemed to last forever where I saw that a guy had to select just the noise that he wanted removed. I don't have time to faff about doing that. I just use Avisynth with McTemporalDenoise and it knows what niose to remove without me needing to tell it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    you know that neat video has a demo, just download it and give it a shot, it has gpu optimizations for nvidia and ati cards, you will be able to get a pretty good idea of what to expect if you buy a license for the software.

while you're at it, you may want to post your avisynth script on this forum, there's a couple of synth gurus here that may be able to optimize your workflow for you.

as it stand now, based on the numbers you have provided, if a 4.4 ghz 2700k is getting 12-14 fps, you would need a dual quad core xeon system overclocked to 4.4 ghz to get 24-28 fps, which depending on your source material may not even be real time performance and that's going to cost you well into the thousands of dollars, not to mention having to reinstall the OS, drivers and software.

i just don't see it as a good investment to build a new, somewhat faster computer just because one plug-in isn't performing up to snuff.
    Quote Quote