VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My son has a lot of movies that I am trying to backup to a hard drive. Mostly because he likes to play with the actual dvd's and he tends to dirty them up and scratch them. I have repetedly tried to back up theses DVD's using both DVD Decrypter (this is what i used to use back in the day flawlessly) and DVDFab. Once I rip the DVD i use VidCoder or Handbrake to convert the DVD file to an MP4, but this another story completely. I have noticed that my problems don't stem from converting but are all from the ripping. The DVD's stop and an error message pops up that says there was a problem ripping the dvd. This is not with all the DVD's but the majority of them...I have only been able to rip about 20% of his DVD's. Any help/suggestions would greatly be appreciated...

Error im getting in Decrypter...

Error im getting in DVDFab...

Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Try cleaning the disc. Is it scratched? It is possible the disc is damaged and you will have to use recovery software
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks i will try to clean the dvd's and retry. Like i said he likes to handle them a lot so they are fairly scratched and dirty. Although I don't believe this is the complete problem. Recovery Software?
    Quote Quote  
  4. i tried to clean one of the dvd's but i am getting the same errors.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is 'recovery' software that claims to read from scratched disks. Here is a link to one

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-unreadable-cds-or-dvds-in-windows/

I am one of the more sceptical types and, having never used this (never needed to) I do find such claims rather incredulous. At best I would have thought the software just skips over a bad sector whereas the the software you use just stops when it fails to read.

I would also ask if you can play these disks in any player as it could just be your PC drive that is causing the failures.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

I would also ask if you can play these disks in any player as it could just be your PC drive that is causing the failures.
    I thought that this may be an issue too...I will try to rip the dvd from another pc.
    Quote Quote  
  7. [QUOTE=DB83;2249249]There is 'recovery' software that claims to read from scratched disks. Here is a link to one

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-unreadable-cds-or-dvds-in-windows/

I am one of the more sceptical types and, having never used this (never needed to) I do find such claims rather incredulous. At best I would have thought the software just skips over a bad sector whereas the the software you use just stops when it fails to read.
    </quote>

I tried the Roadkill software...it is the same as the DVD Decrypter and DVDFab...it seems to always be getting stuck on one .VOB file.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just choose ignore all errors when ripping with dvdfab,nothing else will recover those errors if the scratches are too deep.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    Try the free trial of isobuster. If the discs aren't too badly scratched it may do it, however it might take a bit of time.
    Quote Quote  
  10. well ive tried all the above suggestions and still am having trouble ripping my discs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try an older drive or another machine. I keep an ancient (2X) panasonic in an external enclosure for difficult to read discs. If it can't read the disc (sometimes after cleaning with a Disc Dr.), it's too far gone.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  12. im sorry i still haven't tried going to another machine...i will try this next...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For the I/O ERROR, Try going into Device Manager, Then Go to IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, Right click on your ATA Channel then click on properties then click on advanced settings then look under where it says current mode, If it has Ultra DMA with a number your OK! If it has IPO, Then click cancel, Then right click on your ATA Channel again and click on uninstall, Reboot your system and windows should pickup your hardware and install it correctly, This is what worked for me.
    Quote Quote