VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am unsure if this is the best forum for this question, as it doesn't involve authoring or ripping, just burning.

I generally use Optical Quantum 4X discs. Imgburn says that the discs are rated as 4X, 6X, 8X, even though the label on the discs says 4X. I usually burn them at 4X but just tried 2 at 8X, and they seem to have burned OK and went through Imgburn's verify without disc errors.

So, should I burn them at 4X as the package says, or can I safely burn them at 8X?

TIA

SMK
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I suspect that this company may not actually be a manufacturer. There are lots more brand names than makers of discs. They may not know exactly what discs they may be using in the neat future, so they'd be being conservative.

I'd still stick to 4X myself. It's safer generally not to burn at max speeds.
    Quote Quote  
  3. ImgBurn can tell you the MID (Manufacturer I.D.). Use Discovery mode.

I'm betting they're CMC_MAG or RiData. 4x would probably give you fewest duds.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    We may need Lightning UK! to offer up an opinion or get one of his devoted followers to join, but I'd speculate that Optical Quantum has likely tested the discs and found 4x to be the highest consistently reliable burning speed and although faster burns are possible, they have may have some chance of failure. Remember, I'm speculating so I may be wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Imgburn does report that they are CMC_MAG discs.

I think I will continue to burn them at 4x to be on the safe side. The issue is that burning speeds change with different discs (DVDs, CD-Rs, etc), so I don't always remember to change the speed I burn discs at in Imgburn.

Thanks to all for the input.

SMK
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, this must be from a different spindle, but Imgburn now says the disc is a

PHILIP-R04-000

Not that it matters.

SMK
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Just FYI, CMC is one of the rather infamous low quality DVD media manufacturers. Philips isn't much better. We don't have good data yet on BD consumer burnable discs, but I've decided to avoid everything that's not made by Verbatim. The old Taiyo Yuden BD-R LTH discs were fantastic. I'm much less enthused about the current ones and finding that they have compatibility issues that the older ones never had. It's only Verbatim for me now with BD media.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FWIW, I have burned about 70 of these discs and about 30 Memorex discs in the last 6 months, both data and video. They have all burned perfectly (except the first 2, which Lightning UK! pointed out was a disc controller issue which he helped me solve), and have all verified. They have worked fine in my computer and/or BD players. Of course, how long they will last is another issue.

SMK
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've burned over 2 hundred CMC_MAG blu-ray usually Optical Quantum and have had about 4 errors during burning and the rest no problems,the dvd CMC_MAG would be about 10x that in burning errors with crappy reading for the ones that burned all the way through.

So i would say CMC_MAG have improved in the blu-ray disc manufacturing.Been burning the blu-ray at 6x with good reading after.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote