VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have extracted all my HD home movies into .m2t format and now I like to convert them to a format that Apple TV can playback. The only criteria in this conversion is quality should be high. I tried Handbrake (on MAC) and chose the High Profile setting (I assumed it will give me the best quality). The files which are .m4v play fine on Apple TV but I there are some questions:
    This process produces about 6gb per hour of Video. So 12gb per hour converts to 6gb per hour. Does it sound right?

Picture setting on Handbrake says the following:
    Source 1440x1080, Output: 1440x1080, Anamorphic: 1920x1080 Loose, Modulus: 2, Crop: Auto 0/0/0/0
    Picture filters: Decomb (Default)
    Framerate is set to "Same as Source" & Variable Framerate is checked.
    Video Quality is "Constant quality RF:20

I addition this process takes about 3-4 hours per hour of video (on a high end Mac Book with SSD and with 8 GB memory). Does this also sound normal. I am a bit novice when it comes to details of video attributes.

I will not be doing much editing but If I wanted to edit the footage at which step should I do that?
    I really appreciate your help.

NR
    TiVO HD still rocks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hope all your settings confirms to Hi10P profile. If so, it should not be a problem in any.
    I do not use Handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what is Hi10P profile?
    TiVO HD still rocks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. what is Hi10P profile?
    I now completely drunk, pardon me.
    Where am I? I guess, searching on internet.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try edit the video source m2t if possible. Especially if you are planning adding any transitions, etc that requires video reconverting.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 18th Jun 2013 at 03:17.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for pointing that our. I read about Hi10p but still not sure about how to use it in Handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
  7. keep in mind, though Hi10p supports sample depth up to 10bits, Blu ray players and HDTVs support only up to 8 bits, HiP that's what you are looking for.
    Last edited by enim; 18th Jun 2013 at 10:56.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Forget Hi10p. Handbrake won't produce it and your AppleTV won't play it. As far as I know, there are no standalone players that can play Hi10p.

Use the Normal preset in Handbrake if you want faster encoding. Quality (at the same bitrate) will be a little lower. If you want more quality (large file) use a lower RF setting. For lower quality (smaller file) use a higher RF setting.
    Last edited by jagabo; 18th Jun 2013 at 12:07.
    Quote Quote