VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, people! I have loads of DVD's of different TV series and I want to save them all into my external hard disk so I don't have to carry them around when I am away from home. How do you rip them into high quality avi's and into their respective episodes? I see a lot of DVD ripped torrents are in good quality and broken down into episodes, so how do I do it like that?
    I can't live without my computer.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I used fairuse wizard to convert my seinfeld dvds to separate avi xvid files. I used anydvd as dvd ripper. But it was several years ago.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Almost no episodic DVDs have any advanced copy protection so decrypt using DVDDecrypter in IFO Mode (the default is File Mode) and decrypt each episode to its own folder. Then open each in AutoGK, set it up to do a quality-based encode at the default 75%, and add it to the queue. Set up the rest and then let AutoGK encode them all, perhaps while you sleep.

That's one way, anyway, out of many.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Almost no episodic DVDs have any advanced copy protection so decrypt using DVDDecrypter in IFO Mode (the default is File Mode) and decrypt each episode to its own folder. Then open each in AutoGK, set it up to do a quality-based encode at the default 75%, and add it to the queue. Set up the rest and then let AutoGK encode them all, perhaps while you sleep.

Thanks for replying I think I will use these softwares you suggested. Could you explain to me step by step on how to do all this ripping and converting into avi?I have never done this before so I dont know anything. Each episode is in different VTS, by the way.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by aruwin View Post
    Each episode is in different VTS, by the way.
    Good, that makes it easier.
    Could you explain to me step by step on how to do all this ripping and converting into avi?
    No. In IFO Mode DVD Decrypter shows you each title, with the longest one highlighted. Decrypt each one to its own folder. Then open each in AutoGK and set it up. There's an AutoGK tutorial included with the program. Or try one of these:

http://www.divx-digest.com/articles/autogk.html

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/autogk.htm
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you have never done this it's easier using fairuse wizard. The free version might be enough also. Or use the old fairuse wizard 2.8 with all features, https://www.videohelp.com/download/FU-Setup28.exe . But it will only work directly from dvds or dvd isos so it's not that good if you have dvd video_Ts folders on your hdd then. You can rip to isos with dvddecrypter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MakeMKV will rip each episode into a separate file, but it will be MPEG2 in an MKV container and not AVI. It also only names them 'titleXXX.mkv' so you'd have to rename them. This will, however be the highest quality because it is a direct copy from the disk (no re-encoding).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Almost no episodic DVDs have any advanced copy protection so decrypt using DVDDecrypter in IFO Mode (the default is File Mode) and decrypt each episode to its own folder. Then open each in AutoGK, set it up to do a quality-based encode at the default 75%, and add it to the queue. Set up the rest and then let AutoGK encode them all, perhaps while you sleep.

Now I have these vts files and the episodes are all mixed up. I mean, for example, episodes 1-3 are in VTS_1 and part of episode 3 is in VTS_2 and etc. So what can I do to separate them into individual episodes? I guess I won't be converting them into avi, instead I'll just leave them as vob files but I want to separate them.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by aruwin View Post
    So what can I do to separate them into individual episodes?
    ...decrypt using DVDDecrypter in IFO Mode (the default is File Mode) and decrypt each episode to its own folder.
    Was there something difficult to understand about what I wrote? I suppose there's a chance that your DVD is somehow out of the ordinary and if so, please post a picture of what you see when opening the DVD in IFO Mode.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aruwin View Post
    So what can I do to separate them into individual episodes?
    ...decrypt using DVDDecrypter in IFO Mode (the default is File Mode) and decrypt each episode to its own folder.
    Was there something difficult to understand about what I wrote? I suppose there's a chance that your DVD is somehow out of the ordinary and if so, please post a picture of what you see when opening the DVD in IFO Mode.
    No, this is a different problem. This time I only have the BUP,IFO, and VOB files without the DVD so I can't use DVD decryptor as there is no source D.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Try opening the DVD files with DVDShrink and using it's re-author function.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by aruwin View Post
    This time I only have the BUP,IFO, and VOB files without the DVD so I can't use DVD decryptor...
    Well, you could, but you'd have to make an ISO and then mount it before using DVD Decrypter on it.

Anyway, I use PGCDemux sometimes to extract episodes from a DVD already on the hard drive. Or do as hello_hello suggested.
    Quote Quote